Alexei Ramirez can't play in Toronto

Steve9347

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
2B is the second easiest position to play in the infield, and third easiest to play in baseball. Fields would be no GG at 2B, but he'd certainly be able to handle the position.

That doesn't make it easy. You have to be rangy, agile, and quick. I'm not sure Fields is any of those 3.

3B is all reactions, and Fields' reaction time is fine. But to be able to cover 15-20 feet of ground - I don't see Fields being able to accomplish that. Fields would probably be a worse defensive player at 2B than D'Angelo Jimenez.

Ramirez is great, and I'm happy we got him, but he looks like how I would imagine a 12 year old would stepping onto a big league field. There's nothing wrong with that as it's totally understandable being young, coming from Cuba and getting tossed into an MLB lineup (Contreras and Duque were in their early-mid 50's so this doesn't apply to them) but seasoning needs to take place in AAA, and perhaps a September call-up.

I'm no Owens advocate, but calling him up and starting some big rotation between Owens/Swisher in Center and on days where Owens starts mix Swisher up with Thome/Konerko (maybe even Dye, but moreso Paulie and Thome) at DH/First/Right to keep our dinos fresh. At least if Owens gets on he could be at second via SB when Cabrera bounces out to short. Throw Nicholas and his walks in front of Quentin, and well...

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
That doesn't make it easy. You have to be rangy, agile, and quick. I'm not sure Fields is any of those 3.

3B is all reactions, and Fields' reaction time is fine. But to be able to cover 15-20 feet of ground - I don't see Fields being able to accomplish that. Fields would probably be a worse defensive player at 2B than D'Angelo Jimenez.

Fields is pretty quick and athletic actually, if I'm not mistaken the reason he didn't get to show that last year was because he had a lingering leg injury for much of the year but it didn't affect his plate approach. So there is room for him to improve at 3B eventually although he'd need to work hard on it. However, his problem seems to be inconsistency, he just looks erratic on those routine plays. That would be uuuuuugly playing 2B.

If Fields to 2B was in the thought process they would have had him working at 2B in some games in Charlotte. You dont call a guy up to play a position he has never played before. That said, I mentioned this same idea last week with the Rockies trying Ian Stewart and Garret Atkins both at 2B and Iwamura from the Rays making the switch. I think you could get him some time at 2B down at Charlotte to see if the move would make any sense, because being able to add that bat to this lineup would be huge. Or you could trade him for someone like Brian Roberts instead.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 1, 2008 -> 06:57 AM)
I'd put the odds of seeing Fields at 2B as only slightly better than winning the Lotto.

No kidding. There's a huge difference between 3B and 2B. If Fields is brought up for anything other than a Crede injury, he's going to play one of the corner OF positions.

Edited by WCSox

Only to the White Sox...

We'll be in trouble if we need somebody to lay down a bunt. Luckily, I know Chicago will put up over 30 runs during this series.