Computer help

IlliniKrush

All comp gurus,

I've been getting the classic blue screen lately. I have a Compaq, bought in August 07. Runs Vista.

Sometimes the computer restarts fine, sometimes it doesn't. I'm on it right now, but came home to the blue screen today.

Haven't downloaded any new programs lately or anything.

Besides running virus and spyware stuff, what can I do? I always have Trend Micro and Webroot Spy Sweeper enabled on here.

I don't know s*** about computers, so I'm looking for help before resorting to hauling this thing to the Geek Squad or something like that. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
All comp gurus,

I've been getting the classic blue screen lately. I have a Compaq, bought in August 07. Runs Vista.

Sometimes the computer restarts fine, sometimes it doesn't. I'm on it right now, but came home to the blue screen today.

Besides running virus and spyware stuff, what can I do? I always have Trend Micro and Webroot Spy Sweeper enabled on here.

I don't know s*** about computers, so I'm looking for help before resorting to hauling this thing to the Geek Squad or something like that. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am not a computer guru but PC magazine has a very helpful database for problems. I think I read an article on this problem in last months issue.

If I can find it will send you a summary of what to do.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 7, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Is there any kind of message?

If it says Techincal Information and then STOP with a bunch of numbers....Whats the first set of numbers

The stop message is pretty key to figuring out what the issue is.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t3.html

This should help you with gathering info.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 6, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
All comp gurus,

First step, open Internet Explorer and run Windows Update (it's in "Tools"). Make sure you have the latest driver and OS updates provided through there. I'd also suggest finding out what video card you have (should be in the model info), and grab the latest drivers for it -- essentially, Google the card's manufacturer.

I'd also suggest Memtest 86+ to double-check your RAM, if the above tips don't help.

Does your Trend Micro AV include a firewall? In my experience, they make a pretty solid one, so I'd definitely check to see if it's part of your package.

Also, everyone else is right about the stop error. Googling the error code will get you a quick fix most of the time.

Good luck!

To quickly diagnose a blue screen error, when it pops up onto the screen to perform the memory dump, it will usually reference an offending file, dll or sys or otherwise.

That file name quite often leads you to what the specific issue is.

For example, if the offending file is called : nvm60x32.sys (that is an NVidia related driver), so you can then narrow your target down to either 1) graphics drivers or 2) graphics hardware.

That's the simplist way to narrow it down without chasing wild geese, but instead focusing on the actual issue. And if you arent sure what that file is that is being referenced, just type into google and it will tell you what it belongs too.

If no file is being referenced at all, it usually means there is some sort of hardware failure.

I see you have a Compaq, so you would have to figure out if they do what Dell does, which buries their diagnostics onto a hidden partition on EVERY system they ship. For any/all Dell systems, to get to that hidden partition, just hit F12 a few times when you turn the computer on and it should bring you to a menu of what you want to boot from, there will be a Diagnostics partition which will let you test the entire system pre-boot, so the tech support guys will not be able to blame the OS you're using since these diagnostics are all run pre-boot. Compaq may have something similar to this.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 9, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
I see you have a Compaq, so you would have to figure out if they do what Dell does, which buries their diagnostics onto a hidden partition on EVERY system they ship. For any/all Dell systems, to get to that hidden partition, just hit F12 a few times when you turn the computer on and it should bring you to a menu of what you want to boot from, there will be a Diagnostics partition which will let you test the entire system pre-boot, so the tech support guys will not be able to blame the OS you're using since these diagnostics are all run pre-boot. Compaq may have something similar to this.

HP/Compaq generally has a hidden diagnostics partition as well, and they also provide some utilities on their install/recovery CDs.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

The error message is:

***STOP: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X80154000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I had someone who knows computers somewhat well look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong. Nor could they get the blue screen to come up, which, upon firing up my computer again tonight, came up within 5 minutes. Odd.

He thought it sounded like the computer was overheating. But I just turned it on and it's not hot at all and the BSOD still came up.

I don't want to throw almost the value of my computer at Geek Squad to fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions now that they have the error code?

Edited by IlliniKrush

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822789

CAUSE

This issue may occur when your computer lacks sufficient kernel space to process kernel-mode drivers. The programs that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article install a kernel-mode driver and use a filter driver that registers with the kernel stack.

When Symantec AntiVirus or Norton AntiVirus file system real-time protection examines a file for viruses, it requests file access from the file system. These file input/output (I/O) requests can add to the kernel space that your computer consumes.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, add the KStackMinFree value to the registry. The KStackMinFree value specifies the minimum kernel space that must be available for Symantec AntiVirus or Norton AntiVirus file system real-time protection to request file I/O from the file system. For instructions about how to add the KStackMinFree value to the registry, visit the following Symantec Web site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...?Open&src=w (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002071208532048?Open&src=w)

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

CAUSE

This error message can occur if either of the following conditions exists:

• Your computer has hardware or software problems (hardware failure is the most common cause).

• You try to over clock the speed of your computer's processor (for example, you set a 150 MhZ processor to run at 187 MhZ).

The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:

• Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)

• Mismatched memory modules

• A malfunctioning motherboard

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:

• If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:

1. Test the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.

2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.

3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.

• If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to the speed at which it is designed to run.

• Check with the hardware vendor for any updated hardware drivers or BIOS updates, or both.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 14, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

The error message is:

***STOP: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X80154000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I had someone who knows computers somewhat well look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong. Nor could they get the blue screen to come up, which, upon firing up my computer again tonight, came up within 5 minutes. Odd.

He thought it sounded like the computer was overheating. But I just turned it on and it's not hot at all and the BSOD still came up.

I don't want to throw almost the value of my computer at Geek Squad to fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions now that they have the error code?

I am a linux/mac guy and dont spend a lot of time messing around with Microsoft desktop OSs unless its for a security issue. Vista is kind of touchy with the device drivers and software. So verify what you installed on it recently, and if its the Vista version. It could be a hardware issue as well.

But here are a few places to go look. That stop message

Here is a Microsoft Article on it from technet.

The one explanation that seems to jive with what you are saying from the previous post I posted.

STOP 0x0000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Most likely due to a Hardware failure, like defective memory chips, mismatched memory modules, a malfunctioning CPU, or a failure in your fan or power supply are the probable reasons for this BSOD. Can also occur if you have overclocked your CPU. The message gives more details.

You made a comment about it running hot, maybe your fan is not working correctly, maybe your CPU is overheating. Check and make sure the fan is running, and you may want to turn the machine off, open up the case, and get some compressed air ( you can get that at any computer store) and blow out any dust.

Thats about it. Not too much help, but at least it will point you in a direction. Good luck.

Edited by southsideirish71