5/13 games...

JPN366

Charlotte lost 5-2

B'ham won 4-2

W-S won 7-6

Kanny won 5-0

A quick note about the Barons game...the two runs West Tenn got came via assist from the cast of High School Musical On Ice. I s**t thee not. Here's the sequence of events...runners on first and second, two outs, pop up to the third base side, it drifts foul, Javier Castillo reaches into the stands to catch it, his glove is swatted aside by one of the cast members so that they can get it. A few pitches later, Prentice Redman doubles in the the two runners. Awesome...

Boxes and highlights (those not related to casts from musicals, LOL)...

Syracuse 5, Charlotte 2...

Getz: 2-4, HR (4)

Eldred: 2-4

Collaro: 1-3, HR (1, just promoted from B-Ham)

Haeger (L, 2-4): 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 1 K (ERA now 6.02)

Birmingham 4, West Tenn 2...

Negron: 2-4, R

Cook: 0-2, 2 BB, R

Hall: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI

O'Malley (W, 1-0): 5.2 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

Link (S, 10): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Winston-Salem 7, Lynchburg 6. The bats have really been waking up for W-S lately...

Shelby: 1-3, BB, 2 R, 2 SB (has 10 now), he's now hitting .329

Colina: 2-3, 3 RBI, R (hitting .359 in his last 10 games)

Allen: 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R (hitting .359 in his last 10 games)

Miranda: 2-4, R, 2 SB (4 hits for his last 10 AB)

Zaleski (W, 1-1): 5.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 2 K

Texeira (S, 6): 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Kannapolis 5, Delmarva 0...

L Johnson: 2-4, HR (5), 2 R, 2 RBI (now hitting .328)

J Martinez: 1-4, 2B

Carter (W, 4-0): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K (ERA now 1.43)

Santiago (S, 1): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K

Shelby is untouchable in my book. The guy is a total freaking STUD. I also want to continue to annoit the fact that I want to see Chris Getz playing 2B for the White Sox.

Oh and if Fields was still considered a prospect, I'd point out that I'd still rank Shelby ahead of him. That is how much I think of Shelby. I expect him to rank in the top 25 prospects in all of baseball at some point of his minor league career.

I expect him to rank in the top 25 prospects in all of baseball at some point of his minor league career.

I think he would have to hit very well at AA at some point this year for that to be a possibility with his 23 year old age in August.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Shelby is untouchable in my book. The guy is a total freaking STUD. I also want to continue to annoit the fact that I want to see Chris Getz playing 2B for the White Sox.

Oh and if Fields was still considered a prospect, I'd point out that I'd still rank Shelby ahead of him. That is how much I think of Shelby. I expect him to rank in the top 25 prospects in all of baseball at some point of his minor league career.

I LOVE John Shelby also, not so high on Getz though, he seems an awful lot like David Eckstein and David Eckstein is s***.

I agree that Shelby could be a very good player, but to be considered top 25 in all of baseball, you have to be young for your league, or if average for your league, have simply ridiculous numbers. If you are old, you have to be an elite oversees talent like Ichiro or Dice-K. Shelby might be a top 100 guy after this year, but too old for top 25.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 14, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
I agree that Shelby could be a very good player, but to be considered top 25 in all of baseball, you have to be young for your league, or if average for your league, have simply ridiculous numbers. If you are old, you have to be an elite oversees talent like Ichiro or Dice-K. Shelby might be a top 100 guy after this year, but too old for top 25.

I didn't say he'd be there this year, but I think he has that sort of upside. I was making a relatively outlandish statement though and I deserve the heat cause you are probably right (based on the age thing).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)

If he gets promoted to Charlotte this year, and hammers the ball there too, then he's a successful 23-year-old at AAA with sick numbers. I think that makes it possible. But we'll see - he'd have to continue to be in fire in AA and do the same in AAA this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
If he gets promoted to Charlotte this year, and hammers the ball there too, then he's a successful 23-year-old at AAA with sick numbers. I think that makes it possible. But we'll see - he'd have to continue to be in fire in AA and do the same in AAA this year.

Shelby is currently in high A ball, it'll be at least a year before he sees Charlotte.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
Boxes and highlights (those not related to casts from musicals, LOL)...

Syracuse 5, Charlotte 2...

Getz: 2-4, HR (4)

Eldred: 2-4

Collaro: 1-3, HR (1, just promoted from B-Ham)

Haeger (L, 2-4): 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 1 K (ERA now 6.02)

Birmingham 4, West Tenn 2...

Negron: 2-4, R

Cook: 0-2, 2 BB, R

Hall: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI

O'Malley (W, 1-0): 5.2 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

Link (S, 10): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Winston-Salem 7, Lynchburg 6. The bats have really been waking up for W-S lately...

Shelby: 1-3, BB, 2 R, 2 SB (has 10 now), he's now hitting .329

Colina: 2-3, 3 RBI, R (hitting .359 in his last 10 games)

Allen: 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R (hitting .359 in his last 10 games)

Miranda: 2-4, R, 2 SB (4 hits for his last 10 AB)

Zaleski (W, 1-1): 5.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 2 K

Texeira (S, 6): 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Kannapolis 5, Delmarva 0...

L Johnson: 2-4, HR (5), 2 R, 2 RBI (now hitting .328)

J Martinez: 1-4, 2B

Carter (W, 4-0): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K (ERA now 1.43)

Santiago (S, 1): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K

Just irritated about that fact, the Barons almost had a shutout if it hadn't been for that. Thought you guys would also get a laugh out of it. Shelby will be traded for a mediocre middle reliever or a below average infielder if the White Sox contend. He could be this year's Aaron Cunningham.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
I didn't say he'd be there this year, but I think he has that sort of upside. I was making a relatively outlandish statement though and I deserve the heat cause you are probably right (based on the age thing).

Have the Sox decided on his future in the field yet? In other words, do they want to keep trying him at 2B or are they just going to get on with it and move him to the OF (presumably CF)?