5/14 Positive Game Thread ~ An Experiment

Texsox

A lot of posters have written to us with the opinion that our regular game thread is often times too negative. Too filled with the tired old complaints and clichés. So if you want to hang out in an alternate game thread, have fun, and just enjoy the game while chatting with fellow Soxtalk posters, this is the place.

If you are a half empty, complaining, enjoying having your negative predictions come through, kind of guy, there is the other one.

Look over the tired, beat down topics, those will be off limits here.

Maybe we won't have anything to talk about except the quality of the beer we are drinking, but that may be more fun.

I'll just add this comment, but don't worry, I won't be in this thread: Lackey likely will be on a pitch count tonight, and our late rally on Monday made it so Shields and K-Rod have now had to pitch in both games of this series. Hopefully, we get to some of their other relievers tonight.

At age 25, Ordonez put up an .860 OPS and hit 30 home runs and drove in 117.

At age 25, Lee put up an .800 OPS and hit 24 home runs.

I'd say Quentin right now is pretty close in performance to where Mags was, and Mags had more playing time before that because he was healthier. CQ may also simply be better in the power department, while Ordonez might have been a slightly better hitter (i.e. Mags batting title last year).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)

I'd say Quentin right now is pretty close in performance to where Mags was, and Mags had more playing time before that because he was healthier. CQ may also simply be better in the power department, while Ordonez might have been a slightly better hitter (i.e. Mags batting title last year).

But how many seasons did those guys have in the majors by the time they were 25?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
But how many seasons did those guys have in the majors by the time they were 25?

Mags had 69 at bats at age 23 and a full 545 at bat season in 1998 at age 24.

CLee got 472 at bats in 1999 (The Kids can play!) at age 23 and 574 at bats in 2000 at age 24.

So, 1 to 2 full seasons.

he's also only given up 3 hits and 0 walks in his first 4 innings. Like that even more.

We're not nearly as hot or consistent out of the gate, especially with the bats, but this team's starting to take on an 05 type performance level, especially with the starters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)

MO first 526 career ABs: .287/.327/.443 /.770, 16 HR, 72 RBI, 30 2B, 2 3B

CL first 527 career ABs: .300/.324/.480/.804, 19 HR, 95 RBI, 34 2B, 2 3B

CQ first 524 career ABs: .244/.337/.460/.797, 23 HR, 92 RBI, 36 2B, 4 3B

Very similar numbers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Do you think Ozzie will play Hall at catcher tomorrow, or will he let AJP face his buddy Garland. I really want to see AJP get the start, and see if this lineup can get on a roll. You can't have Toby batting 2nd.

We've seen a lot of Toby Hall lately. I'm hoping Ozzie sticks with the "hot" lineup he had today and we can show Garland we don't miss him.