Has Floyd been sacrificing velocity for movement?

Jack Parkman

I noticed last September(from looking at Highlights of Gavin's 6-7 K games on the official website) that Gavin's fastball was at the 93-94 mph range, but was straight. This year, I haven't seen his fastball above 91 mph, but I have noticed that it has much more movement that the 93-94 mph one he was throwing last year. Could this be the reason for his continued success? If he had that velocity in him last year, then I don't know why he wouldn't still be throwing that hard if this isn't the case.

I noticed someone else that throws 89-92 tonight. Good movement on his fastball, nice snap on the curve, and he really worked in and out well. He got hit around a bit tonight, but he's had a pretty good career, and I've compared him to Floyd before.

just sayin'

They are definitely doing that with Floyd, it's obvious. I think as he gets more and more experience throwing this way, his walk totals will go down (he's walked a bit too many this year) and his general control will improve. With his stuff, if you combine control and movement, he could mantain a high level of pitching like he's shown so far this year IMO.

On a side note, it seems like we are using this same approach with Lance Broadway. This year, after having control issues last year, he has had great control at AAA and been generally dominant. His stuff is not close to as good as Gavin's, but the improvement Broadway has shown, combined with his start for the Sox late last year gives some hope with Lance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Gavin isnt so much trying to not throw as hard, but Coop has made him compact his delivery a little bit which has allowed him better control and hasnt tipped his pitches as much in the past. He may lost a couple of mph here and there, but he still can run it to the mid 90's if needed.

One of the changes Coop made was during the pivot Floyd would wrap his hands behind he head as he rocked towards home plate. His hands now stay lower, and keep his balance set and his center moving towards the plate. This also allows for a pitcher to keep his eye on the target longer, picking up the catchers mitt earlier in the motion. Its a simple, yet very effective way of tweaking his mechanics a bit to help him throw a strike.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 15, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
One of the changes Coop made was during the pivot Floyd would wrap his hands behind he head as he rocked towards home plate. His hands now stay lower, and keep his balance set and his center moving towards the plate. This also allows for a pitcher to keep his eye on the target longer, picking up the catchers mitt earlier in the motion. Its a simple, yet very effective way of tweaking his mechanics a bit to help him throw a strike.

Contreras has started doing that this season as well. He used to put his hands up over his head when pitching from the windup and doesn't anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
I noticed someone else that throws 89-92 tonight. Good movement on his fastball, nice snap on the curve, and he really worked in and out well. He got hit around a bit tonight, but he's had a pretty good career, and I've compared him to Floyd before.

just sayin'

Who are you talking about?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)

just sayin'

Are you talking about Peavy? If so, sign me up! That would be awesome if Floyd has 75% of his success.

Edited by heirdog

Gavin's really going to need to get better control of his off-speed pitches if he's going to keep this up, if not it's going to catch up with him. That had to be the flukiest 6 scoreless innings I've ever seen from a SP.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 16, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
Whats up Doc...........

Halladay is arguably the best pitcher in the league right now. If Floyd was anything close to that, Gio and DLS will be long forgotten.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 17, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
Wite has made the Halladay comparison for a while now, and too be honest, it's never been a terrible one. Obviously Floyd has a long way to go, but the similarities are there.

Halladay having much better stuff could be one difference

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 15, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)

I was looking at his motion last night, and his delivery reminded me of....Keith Foulke. I don't know if that should inspire much confidence or not, but it is a short compact arm motion - kind of like a pinball plunger. I would imagine it is has to be harder for a hitter to pick up. As long as it is safe mechanically I am alright with it.

SFF

Saw these notes in the Trib today...

Friday marked the fourth time this season RHP Gavin Floyd has not allowed an earned run.

He has gone at least six innings in all of his outings this year, including Friday's win over San Francisco.

Floyd has held opponents to a .193 average (33-for-171).

He could end up being Coop's most impressive reclamation project.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 17, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Saw these notes in the Trib today...

Friday marked the fourth time this season RHP Gavin Floyd has not allowed an earned run.

He has gone at least six innings in all of his outings this year, including Friday's win over San Francisco.

Floyd has held opponents to a .193 average (33-for-171).

He could end up being Coop's most impressive reclamation project.

unfortunately his peripherals have been pretty horrendous...1:1 K:BB isnt gonna cut it over the long run and that BABIP is bound to increase big time...that said he has been fantastic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
Halladay having much better stuff could be one difference

I really don't think, when at their best, their stuff is that different. Doc's stuff is much better on a consistent basis, but Gavin's curve can snap just as hard, the two-seamer and sinker works in similar ways, and Floyd's got a damn good change when he can throw it too.

I'm hoping with more experience under his belt, the stuff will become more consistent and he'll get a feel for that breaking ball he had against Minnesota. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Gavin could become a similar pitcher to Halladay.

I also think Halladay can be a bit overrated...he's as good as he is because of his durability, but I wouldn't say he's among the top 5 pitchers in the league. Basically, RHINAA