Where most Sox fans live

joejoesox

Curious how many Sox fans on Soxtalk aren't from the Chicago area  

166 members have voted

1. 1. As a Sox fan, where do you live?

• Chicago Area
    • Illinois (Not Chicago Area)
    • Outside of Illinois

Don't need to post your specific location in a post or anything, but I was just curious how many Sox fans here aren't actually IN Chicago. For starters, I'm down here in the Peoria area. Which really sucks, because 95%+ of the baseball fans down here, aren't even really true baseball fans, they just root for the "Cubbies" because it's the cool thing to do. Or they're straggler Cardinal fans. Even our local sports shops rarely carry Sox gear other than Caps (Jersey's are hard to find, it's usually Cubs/Cards garbage)

Edited by joesaiditstrue

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grew up in beverly and lived there until about 10 years ago when i moved to central Ohio. there are very few sox fans out here, although one of the local sports radio guys is a chicagoan and a big sox fan.

I was born and raised in the western suburbs where I spent the first 27 years of my life. I spent the next 28 years in Lake Geneva, WI. which wasn't so bad. I could still get the Sox on TV and radio and go to occasional games. In July 2005 I moved to Utah, a little south of Salt Lake City. Wouldn't you know it, I move away and the White Sox go to the World Series. It was kinda weird being so far from all the excitement. Thank god for Sox Talk. What is my salvation now is that the Great Falls Voyagers play a 4 game series in Orem every summer. I'm only 15 min. from the ballpark. At one game a couple of years ago the Orem Owlz mascot came and sat down beside me. He starts talking to me and wanted me to know that his dad was a hard core White Sox fan. It was kinda funny. I see AAA games in Salt Lake when I need a baseball fix. Oh, if only the Sox AAA affiliate was in the PCL again!

Last summer I went back home to visit family and took in a Sox-Yankee game. Sox got clobbered but it was so awesome to be in the ballpark again.

Out here there's predictably mostly Red Sox fans. Why on earth it is I don't get. People just want to be a part of the Red Sox nation experience I guess. Yeeeech. Lotsa Yankee and Cub fans too. Go figure. I proudly wear my White Sox hat everywhere every day. :gosox3: I do see an occasional person with a Sox hat or shirt. Pretty rare though.

Joesaiditstrue, I love your avatar. It's hilarious and mesmerizing.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ May 19, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
i grew up in Park Forest

Me too. Haven't been back there for a while, but there are lots of Sox fans in the Tinley/Frankfort/Orland Park area where much of my family currently lives.

In Oregon, hackey sack and meth are a lot more popular than baseball. You'll be hard-pressed to find a decent sports bar in my neck of the woods, much less Sox fans.

Edited by WCSox

I live 4 blocks away from Wrigley Field. Most would say I am confused, but obviously a very nice and lively place to live in town.

It certainly makes for some interesting looks when I walk to the Addison Red Line stop everyday completely decked out for Sox games, but believe it or not the only time any Cubbie fan has actually talked "s***" to me was before Game 1 of the WS. The drunken idioit blurred that Clemens would rock our ass that night, nobody ever claimed the Cubs faitful to have any psychic ability...

I'm just one major street down from Wrigley, at Belmont.

Nobody really hassles me at all about being a Sox fan or being in Sox gear. It's kind of like a club where members always acknowledge each other in passing ("Go White Sox!") because we know we're in enemy territory.

Quite a few more Sox fans than there used to be, though.

Born at Hinsdale Hospital 3 months prematurely and lived in LaGrange till I was 4, then we moved to Downers Grove and have lived here ever since. It's a great area for young families to start out and grow up. (At least I think so, not sure what some others like PlunketChris or SSI might say.)

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ May 19, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
Lived on the North side of Chicago all my life, recently moved to Norridge.

I've got family that lives right off Cumberland in Norridge. The airplanes flying right over the houses is something else.

As for myself, raised on the Southeast side of the city, about 15 minutes from the park. Now, I go to school near Grand Rapids, Michigan. Quite a few Sox fans. I see hats/shirts/jerseys pretty often, as we have a good number of Chicagoans that attend the school. One my roommates is a Sox fan from Orland Park. I also almost got into a fight with 3 Cubs guys at one of our football games. I had on a Sox shirt and was getting some s*** from 3 drunk idiots who we're telling me how terrible of a manager Ozzie was and how re-signing Dye and Buehrle was stupid and how last year was the Cubs year. I laughed for a while, but they left half way through the 2nd quarter.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 19, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I live 4 blocks away from Wrigley Field. Most would say I am confused, but obviously a very nice and lively place to live in town.

It certainly makes for some interesting looks when I walk to the Addison Red Line stop everyday completely decked out for Sox games, but believe it or not the only time any Cubbie fan has actually talked "s***" to me was before Game 1 of the WS. The drunken idioit blurred that Clemens would rock our ass that night, nobody ever claimed the Cubs faitful to have any psychic ability...

Wasn't there something about Clemens's dying mother making some kind of predictions before the world series?