Where most Sox fans live

joejoesox

Curious how many Sox fans on Soxtalk aren't from the Chicago area  

166 members have voted

1. 1. As a Sox fan, where do you live?

• Chicago Area
    • Illinois (Not Chicago Area)
    • Outside of Illinois

Born in Evergreen Park, raised in the Joliet/New Lenox area, moved to Hinsdale, back to Joliet area. Then moved to the City for school, and now back to the burbs in Tinley Park.

But I have an interview in Las Vegas on Thursday, will probably get offered the job, so soon may be joining the ranks of out-of-the-area Sox fans using this site to keep up with the latest...thank goodness for Extra Innings and legalized sports gambling in Nevada (so the sports books carry every game)...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 19, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
Pretty wild how outside of Illinois plus outside of Chicago are close to the Chicago votes.

The should add a 4th option, Outside of Illinois, but originally from Chicago. Be interesting to see how many outside of the area are actually Sox fans, without growing up in or near the city or state.

I was born and raised here in Rochester, NY; but my Mom's side of the family is from Chicago (and are all Cubs fans). Frank Thomas made me a White Sox fan, despite attending my first Major League games at Wrigely. I'm pretty proud to say that I turned out a White Sox fan on my own will, while my other brothers turned out quasi-Cubs fans (neither really follow baseball as passionately as I do, which pisses me right off when they try and talk s***).

I'm seriously considering the Chicago-land area post graduate school, and that's due to the Sox.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 19, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Pretty wild how outside of Illinois plus outside of Chicago are close to the Chicago votes.

My theory is this: sports boards will, proportional to the total fan population, attract more out-of-towners. The out of towners will seek said message boards for info that is otherwise available through local media. They also seek out fraternization with fellow fans--something they can't so much find in the far flung corners of the country.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 19, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
My theory is this: sports boards will, proportional to the total fan population, attract more out-of-towners. The out of towners will seek said message boards for info that is otherwise available through local media. They also seek out fraternization with fellow fans--something they can't so much find in the far flung corners of the country.

:headbang very true, even if its just listening to others.

Born in Bridgeport...lived in the building where Jimbos(if its still there) is. Moved to around 79th and Pulaski lived there all of my school years. Moved to Darien at 18 with my P's...then moved out to Lisle. Next who knows, but my townhouse currently for sale....any takers???? This market sucks!!

QUOTE (rafacosta @ May 20, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
Originally from Brazil...living in College Station, TX :bang

You sound like a Brazilian version of my father. Born in Greece, played soccer his childhood/adolescence, came to Chicago in 1960 having never heard of baseball, and somehow got into the Sox.

How did you get hooked?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 19, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Take a look at under my avatar...

Born in Chicago, lived in Edgewater...moved to Skokie...college in Champaign...back to Lakeview...down to Austin, TX...back to Oak Park.

So...Cubs fans, Cubs fans, mostly Cubs fans, but some Sox and Cards, Cubs fans, mostly Astros fans...not sure yet, lived here a month.

Near Midway Airport to Oak Brook to Champaign to Lakeview to Oak Park.

I think there is a decent mix of fans in OP. What major cross streets are you near, Corn? Ridgeland and Division here.

Born and raised in NW Indiana (Gary). Was an easy 25-minute drive to the ballpark, so started going to Sox games with the old man at the age of 5.

Live in KC now; the Royals are dreadful, but I get to see the Sox when they are in town for SUPER cheap (plus great seats because few go to see the Royals unless they're playing the Red Sox, Yankees or Cardinals).

Moving back to Indianapolis soon, which, for some weird reason, is a Cubs town (they have no problem cheering for the CHICAGO Cubs, yet have the nerve to get on me for cheering for the CHICAGO Bears). Go figure.

Edited by Purdue1906

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 19, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
I've got family that lives right off Cumberland in Norridge. The airplanes flying right over the houses is something else.

I live right in the landing path of the planes here. Honestly you'd think it was really obnoxious, and it is, but once you've lived there for a month or so it doesn't bother you so much and you don't really notice. The only time it's really bad is when you're outside talking on the phone.

The only time it's really bad is when you're outside talking on the phone.

It must be horrible when you first move in getting used to that.

Does the house shake all the time?

I'd think it'd be really tough to sell the homes around that area.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
It must be horrible when you first move in getting used to that.

Does the house shake all the time?

I'd think it'd be really tough to sell the homes around that area.

Nah the house doesn't really shake that much. It's more an annoyance than something that would make you want to live here, and it's not like we live right next to the airport or anything. As long as you're inside the house it's not that bad. It just so happens that you can look up and they're right there.

Matter of fact one just flew over before I typed this. lol.

I have lived in Bridgeport all my life and honestly I feel that it has given me a greater connection with the Sox for that reason.I could hear the fIreworks as if they are in my backyard,it really makes me feel like it is my team.They are not just a team that plays in my state or even my city,its a team that represents my neighborhood.

Edited by shipps

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 20, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
Born in Bridgeport.

Still live in Bridgeport, around the corner from Puffers...or Mitchells now.

BTW,what are they planning on making that Jewel into?

born and raised in Florida.

spent my elementary school years in Sarasota. My dad would take me to old Payne Park and then to Ed Smith to see the Sox ST games. Also would go to the class A games every once in awhile.

Lostfan, your posts about living by the planes are kind of cool.

You say, 'not that bad,' house doesn't shake 'that much.'

You sound like the kind of person who can make the best of any situation.

But reading your posts closely it sounds like a lot of people would go crazy with the

planes. I bet some of your neighbors have freaked out and wanted to get out?

Correct or no?