Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

Bulls defy the odds, land the top spot

From the Chicago Bulls website:

By Adam Fluck

May 20, 2008 – As a result of the 2008 NBA Draft Lottery on Tuesday, the Bulls claimed the first pick in the 2008 NBA Draft.

Chicago beat incredible odds to do it, having held only a 1.7 percent chance of claiming the top spot in this summer's NBA Draft, to be held on June 26 in New York City.

The 24th annual edition of the NBA Draft Lottery determined the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2008 NBA Draft. EVP-Business Operations Steve Schanwald represented Chicago at the Lottery, held at the NBA Entertainment Studios in Secaucus, New Jersey.

As was the case last year with Greg Oden and Kevin Durant, there is a strong consensus that Kansas State forward Michael Beasley and Memphis point guard Derrick Rose are the head of the draft class.

"Those two names are the guys who are at the top right now," Bulls EVP-Basketball Operations John Paxson said on a conference call Tuesday night. "I've learned in watching other people prepare you have to go about your business. We'll have an opportunity to get those guys in as well as others. We'll get to know them, and take a long look at what makes the most sense for our basketball team.”

The Miami Heat, who finished the season with the NBA's worst record (15-67), had 250 combinations and will select second. The Minnesota Timberwolves will pick third, while the Seattle Sonics dropped to the fourth spot.

The Golden State Warriors, the best team in the lottery at 48-34, had five combinations out of 1,000 and will have the rights to the 14th pick.

As a result of their overall record (33-49), the Bulls received the ninth spot in the NBA’s Draft Lottery and there was a greater than 80 percent chance they’d stay there. The Bulls had only 17 of the 1,000 ping-pong ball combinations in the Lottery, but apparently that was enough.

"Having the pick puts you in a unique position to make your team better,” Paxson added. "I certainly understand this was pure luck. Now it's our job to make the most of it."

Besides the top selection, Chicago also owns the rights to the 39th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, to be held on Thursday, June 26, at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

“Our fans have been so patient over the last ten years and they’ve stuck with us through thick and thin,” said Schanwald. “They really deserve this and we hope it bodes well for our future.”

I am kind of curious about this since I'm not a hard core diehard Bulls fan (though I consider myself a Bulls fan), what exactly does the team need? I see that they obviously need a coach and have a few free agents out there. According to ESPN's 2008 NBA Free Agent List, the Bulls free agents are as follows:

Restricted: Luol Deng, Demetris Nichols, Ben Gordon

Unrestricted: Shannon Brown, Chris Duhon

Limited Salary Protection: JamesOn Curry

Out of those, I see Gordon and Deng being the huge losses right there, so what would the Bulls need to replace them? Do they have any expiring contracts that are likely to be dealt? What was not apart of this year's team that needs to be addressed? Please discuss your thoughts, I don't follow the Bulls that closely and would like to know more about what they need, who they should draft and what could happen to their team pending the situation in Chicago.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 20, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Bulls defy the odds, land the top spot

From the Chicago Bulls website:

I am kind of curious about this since I'm not a hard core diehard Bulls fan (though I consider myself a Bulls fan), what exactly does the team need? I see that they obviously need a coach and have a few free agents out there. According to ESPN's 2008 NBA Free Agent List, the Bulls free agents are as follows:

Restricted: Luol Deng, Demetris Nichols, Ben Gordon

Unrestricted: Shannon Brown, Chris Duhon

Limited Salary Protection: JamesOn Curry

Out of those, I see Gordon and Deng being the huge losses right there, so what would the Bulls need to replace them? Do they have any expiring contracts that are likely to be dealt? What was not apart of this year's team that needs to be addressed? Please discuss your thoughts, I don't follow the Bulls that closely and would like to know more about what they need, who they should draft and what could happen to their team pending the situation in Chicago.

For all your Bulls needs, check here... http://www.talkbulls.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1

But to answer some of your questions, the obvious team needs are a true PG who will run the offense and get open shots for the rest of your players and a big man who can give you consistent scoring down low. The troubling thing is that with both of the those needs, the top 2 can't-miss prospects fill them.

Gooden is an expiring contract that might be intriguing, especially in a speculated trade for Elton Brand.

And as far as Gordon/Deng, they are restricted free agents, so the Bulls will receive every opportunity to match any offer they receive.

I seriously had a feeling.

As much as Beasley is going to be very good, I think you take Rose here. It would be hard to pass up a true point guard star and a leader which is what this team could need. It depends if you want Chris Paul, or a Elton Brand production guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)

As much as Beasley is going to be very good, I think you take Rose here. It would be hard to pass up a true point guard star and a leader which is what this team could need. It depends if you want Chris Paul, or a Elton Brand production guy.

Beasley has a higher ceiling than Brand. But yeah, this is a tough call.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)

this is just my opinion...but i think Beasley has a better shot, by quite a bit, at becoming Brand than Rose does CP3

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 21, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Where are the conspiracy buffs? Wasn't it Ewing to the NY Knickerbockers against similar odds that brought out howls of protest :lolhitting

I have NO doubt this was fixed for the Bulls in the estimation they'll take the hometown kid Rose and he'll bring them back. This is typical NBA and the fix is in here, but since it helps the Bulls, I'm being a hypocrite and not caring. :headbang :headbang

As for the pick, I think Beasley is better than Brand, but the comparison is fair because they are both undersized 4's that have shown they always put up huge numbers, but sometimes empty huge numbers. I've stated I'd take Rose, but if they take Beasley I can't blame them. A lot depends on what they can get in trades for who, and thus what spots on the roster would be opened after that trade. I think they'll trade who they can for whatever is the most they can get before the draft, and pick accordingly with how that goes. If Hinrich, Gordon, or Gooden isn't traded before the draft, I'd be shocked.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I would think Rose makes the most sense here. Wouldn't a team rather have a flashy point guard than a big man as their first pick? I also can see JR cheaping out and trading it away, which would be disheartening.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
They'd be insane to trade it.

I would trade it in a heartbeat for:

1. James

2. Howard (dwight of course)

3. Cp3

There are probably 5 more players in the league that would be very tempting to trade it for. But only the 3 mentioned , are no brainers to me.

You just don't trade the # 1 pick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
On ESPN 1000 Pax just said he "doesn't care where a player is from."

Good for Pax. Get the best player be he Beasley or Rose.

With the #1 pick in the draft, from Bombay India, the Chicago Bulls select...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
On ESPN 1000 Pax just said he "doesn't care where a player is from."

Good for Pax. Get the best player be he Beasley or Rose.

I agree with Pax there, Rose being from here shouldn't matter. As for a trade, the only way I see the Bulls trading this pick is with the Heat if the Heat fall for Rose or Beasley and the Bulls can convince them that they will take that guy #1. I'd hope, if they do that, it works out better than last time when it led to the Bulls getting Tyrus instead of Aldridge (yikes) and only adding Viktor Kryhapa in addition in the trade.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 21, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
I agree with Pax there, Rose being from here shouldn't matter. As for a trade, the only way I see the Bulls trading this pick is with the Heat if the Heat fall for Rose or Beasley and the Bulls can convince them that they will take that guy #1. I'd hope, if they do that, it works out better than last time when it led to the Bulls getting Tyrus instead of Aldridge (yikes) and only adding Viktor Kryhapa in addition in the trade.

Hughes and The # 1 for the # 2

:)

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Where do you get this from? I disagree with you 100%

I don't get it from anywhere, I just know some of the stupid draft day trades that the Bulls have made in past years. It's more a feeling that the pick will be traded than anything. Otherwise, I'd say he'll take Rose.

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 21, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I don't get it from anywhere, I just know some of the stupid draft day trades that the Bulls have made in past years. It's more a feeling that the pick will be traded than anything. Otherwise, I'd say he'll take Rose.

The Deng Trade with Phoenix was a horrible move.

Seriously though. You can not put Pax's Name on the Chandler/Brand Deal. So the only really questionable move (and I still argue that the jury is still out.) Is the Tyrus/Aldridge trade.

1. Tyrus is 21

2. Playing Time is a big reason for the low #'s from Tyrus.

07-08 Per 48 Min Stats

Tyrus Thomas 18.2 Pts 12.4 Rebounds 2.61 Blocks

Lamarcus Aldridge 24.4 Pts 10.4 Rebounds 1.70 Blocks

Is Aldridge a better scorer? No Doubt. However, Tyrus seems to have the edge on the glass.

Is a poor attitude the reason for Tyrus's low minutes? Maybe. Some may also question how the Front Office develops the younger players in combination of his attitude.

Should he already be labled as a bust ? No, but I see I may be in the minority here.

With that said, I do not understand the overreaction on your part.