Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 21, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
I have no idea at all if this is realistic, but just suppose the Bulls were able to trade for another good, young pg. To make it concrete, say there's an opportunity to trade for Calderon. For those who prefer Rose, would you switch if the alternative was Calderon + Beasley, or would you stick with Rose?

Honest question, I'm not trying to lead, and I don't know which way I'd go. I'm just curious what the reactions will be.

Good question, and many like this exist, which is why there are a lot of factors far beyond the current roster that will determine who the Bulls will pick. The Heat want Hinrich is another thing I know, and are interested in dealing Haslem.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thought....

Bet $10 with some friends on who will win rookie of the year.

Let them take Rose and Beasley and you get the Field. Make them give you 20-1 odds or something crazy like that.

Why? Most people forget that Greg Oden will also be a rookie. ;)

the stat sheet and my head tell me beasley (not that rose is bad)...but the overall wow factor of watching rose on youtube (not that beasley is bad) tells me rose...

tough call, but a good one to have

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
I have no idea at all if this is realistic, but just suppose the Bulls were able to trade for another good, young pg. To make it concrete, say there's an opportunity to trade for Calderon. For those who prefer Rose, would you switch if the alternative was Calderon + Beasley, or would you stick with Rose?

Honest question, I'm not trying to lead, and I don't know which way I'd go. I'm just curious what the reactions will be.

An ideal and logical way for Beasley to make sense for the Bulls is if they could get another young PG by moving either Deng or Tyrus.

Coming in to this draft, the one thing I wanted was a point guard, so I was hoping one of them would drop or they'd take Augustin. Now that we're in slightly better shape, we still need to come out of this with an upgrade at PG.

Doug Gottlieb on ESPN said the Bulls should take Rose, which I agree with, but made a point that Rose won back to back state titles in Illinois with sub par talent around him. Utterly ridiculous comments. Flowers, Orange, Johnson, these guys were good high school players surrounding Derrick Rose.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Doug Gottlieb on ESPN said the Bulls should take Rose, which I agree with, but made a point that Rose won back to back state titles in Illinois with sub par talent around him. Utterly ridiculous comments. Flowers, Orange, Johnson, these guys were good high school players surrounding Derrick Rose.

They're seriously discussing whether or not a guy will develop in to a great pro player based on the talent that was around him in high school?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
An ideal and logical way for Beasley to make sense for the Bulls is if they could get another young PG by moving either Deng or Tyrus.

Coming in to this draft, the one thing I wanted was a point guard, so I was hoping one of them would drop or they'd take Augustin. Now that we're in slightly better shape, we still need to come out of this with an upgrade at PG.

I just don't think you would get fair value for Deng or Tyrus right now. I don't want the Bulls to sell low when they are technically in the drivers seat.

I have more faith that Tyrus and/or Deng and Rose could perform at a higher lever together then what Kirk and Beasley could do as a tandom. I don't think Kirk is the PG that makes other people around him better. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he just can't do with Chandler what CP3 can( I think Rose is the type of player who can.) . I'm hoping the Bulls take the chance that Rose can improve the games of all our 4's and 5's.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
I just don't think you would get fair value for Deng or Tyrus right now. I don't want the Bulls to sell low when they are technically in the drivers seat.

I have more faith that Tyrus and/or Deng and Rose could perform at ahiger lever together then what Kirk and Beasley could do. I just don't think Kirk is the PG that makes other people around him better. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he just can't do with Chandler what CP3 can( I think Rose is the type of player who can.) . I'm hoping the Bulls take the chance that Rose can improve the games of all our 4's and 5's.

Like it or not, I'm not sure the Bulls can get fair value for any of their players after the debacle of a season they've had. But to my eyes, I don't see how they can avoid trying to make a 3 for 1 swap to try to go after someone and clear out their roster.

Pre-#1 pick, I count 9 different guys who you could easily justify giving 30+ minutes a game to, based on contracts, draft status, and performance. Deng, Noc, Tyrus, Gooden, Noah, Hinrich, Hughes, Gordon, Sefalosha. And then throw in Aaron Gray who's a solid 10 minutes a game or so backup C already. And then there's still that Curry kid hanging around.

IF the Bulls were drafting in the 9 slot, then they could maybe get around having to make a trade. You pick Kevin Love or DJ Augustin, and they can play 10-20 minutes a game and people won't be too pissed because they'd have to earn their way in to the rotation. But you don't play a #1 pick for 15 minutes a game unless you're just asking to be fired along with everyone you've ever worked with.

There just aren't enough minutes if they don't make a move. One way to do it is to target a PG by clearing out space in the front court for Beasley. I'm not a big fan of this option because I'd love to see the Rose, Tyrus, Noah, Deng, Thabo/Gordon lineup. But probably more so, I'm not a fan of that option because it still leaves us with the 3 SG logjam and forces us to make another trade.

my god i keep going back and forth..i like both guys, and i can understand the arguement for one or the other...but i have no idea how anyone who is calling into sports radio or who writes the back article for the suntimes can say that rose is the easy choice....it aint easy thats for sure.... beasley on tape looks like a f***ing man...rose is a freak athlete...he does things guys his size shouldnt...very few guards (certainly not point guards) are as explosive and powerful as he is....on the other hand beasley is big, strong and powerful, yet is so smooth on the court and can score literally from anywhere...he runs the court well for a bigger guy too...this decision will be difficult

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2008 -> 06:48 PM)
Like it or not, I'm not sure the Bulls can get fair value for any of their players after the debacle of a season they've had. But to my eyes, I don't see how they can avoid trying to make a 3 for 1 swap to try to go after someone and clear out their roster.

Pre-#1 pick, I count 9 different guys who you could easily justify giving 30+ minutes a game to, based on contracts, draft status, and performance. Deng, Noc, Tyrus, Gooden, Noah, Hinrich, Hughes, Gordon, Sefalosha. And then throw in Aaron Gray who's a solid 10 minutes a game or so backup C already. And then there's still that Curry kid hanging around.

IF the Bulls were drafting in the 9 slot, then they could maybe get around having to make a trade. You pick Kevin Love or DJ Augustin, and they can play 10-20 minutes a game and people won't be too pissed because they'd have to earn their way in to the rotation. But you don't play a #1 pick for 15 minutes a game unless you're just asking to be fired along with everyone you've ever worked with.

There just aren't enough minutes if they don't make a move. One way to do it is to target a PG by clearing out space in the front court for Beasley. I'm not a big fan of this option because I'd love to see the Rose, Tyrus, Noah, Deng, Thabo/Gordon lineup. But probably more so, I'm not a fan of that option because it still leaves us with the 3 SG logjam and forces us to make another trade.

I'd just rather trade the guys who are close or at their ceilings in terms of talent. I don't think trading Noch or Kirk will bite us in the ass. I am very worried to trade someone Like Tyrus or even Noah for that matter. It pains me to watch Chris Paul turn Tyson into a legit double-double , 25 year old, 7-footer. It is not like we would shedding any major salary with the young guys either. If the right deal comes along, sure. But stay the hell away from PJ Brown!

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
I'd just rather trade the guys who are close or at their ceilings in terms of talent. I don't think trading Noch or Kirk will bite us in the ass. I am very worried to trade someone Like Tyrus or even Noah for that matter. It pains me to watch Chris Paul turn Tyson into a legit double-double , 25 year old, 7-footer. It is not like we would shedding any major salary with the young guys either. If the right deal comes along, sure. But stay the hell away from PJ Brown!

I would just be so excited to see a lineup of Rose, Tyrus, Noah, Deng, and player X develop over the next few years. Thabo and Gordon would both be excellent choices as player X.

Can't go wrong with either. Beasley is the most talented player in the draft and produces everything from jumpshots, blocks, steals, rebounds, and great length/athleticism in his 6'9 body. I think he's a more mature bodied version of Kevin Durant.

I just favor Rose for the Heat because they currently have Marion, Dorell Wright, DQ Cook, and Udonis Haslem in the 3-4 spots at the moment.

I've got a trade idea to acquire to the #2 pick from the Heat, while retaining the #1 pick. First step: resign both Deng and Gordon. Ask the Heat for the #2 pick of the '08 draft for...Heinrich/Gordon + Deng/Thomas + Bulls 2nd Round pick of this year and the next 2. I doubt it'd ever work, but it's fun to dream of. Getting both Rose AND Beasley would be beyond amazing.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
I've got a trade idea to acquire to the #2 pick from the Heat, while retaining the #1 pick. First step: resign both Deng and Gordon. Ask the Heat for the #2 pick of the '08 draft for...Heinrich/Gordon + Deng/Thomas + Bulls 2nd Round pick of this year and the next 2. I doubt it'd ever work, but it's fun to dream of. Getting both Rose AND Beasley would be beyond amazing.

There has been some talk that the Heat want to trade out of the pick if they aren't getting Rose (personally, I doubt it). But any such trade talk involving the Bulls would have to start with Deng, I imagine, and he can't be traded until after the draft. I'd be very hesitant to move him, anyway.

I think unless Rose blows out a knee or something freakish happens before the draft, the Bulls are going to take Rose. He'll be the biggest story in the NBA this year (hometown kid reviving the franchise) and hopefully that FORCES Paxson to make some creative moves to get another star in here.

Yesterday, on ESPN 1000, the idea of Elton Brand was brought up to Paxson and he just laughed nervously and said, "yeah, he'd be a great player to have, we will pursue all avenues." The likelihood of Brand joining this team is pretty high, and that would set us up for awhile.

Noah

Brand

Deng

Hughes/Gordon

Rose

That's pretty sick. Now, if the Bulls really wanted to get crazy, they could make a double splash and pretty much put themselves within reach of the Celtics once Rose develops a bit...

Naoh

Brand

Deng

Redd (Bucks are looking to move him, only problem is convincing Skiles to take some of his old boys, but he looooved Kirk)

Rose

Just ideas, and I didn't even propose how we'd make them happen both financially and trade-wise, so it's all bulls***. I'm just wishful thinking at this point.