Figgins to Sox rumors persist

Steve9347

Didn't see this posted anywhere...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-SPT-sox21.stng

Chone improvement?

Angels' infielder Figgins fits a need, and his name keeps coming up in trade rumors

May 21, 2008

BY JOE COWLEY | jcowley@suntimes.com

White Sox general manager Ken Williams chose his words carefully.

On one hand, there has been increased speculation that his interest in Los Angeles Angels infielder Chone Figgins has grown. On the other hand, he knows the reality of prying free a player like that in a trade right now is all but impossible.

A source close to the situation said that Williams started sending out feelers more than two weeks ago to teams that had leadoff hitters also capable of playing second base -- at least all the teams that don't have Brian Roberts on their roster, because that bridge was crossed back in the spring, and Baltimore is asking for everything that's not nailed down in return.

But the hot name? Figgins.

''That's an interesting name, and a name that I, yeah ... they're a pretty good team and they need ... I'm talking about the guys that will ultimately be available, and I don't know if they will be any better than what we already got,'' Williams said Tuesday, hours before the Sox beat the Cleveland Indiana 4-1 at U.S. Cellular Field. ''Again, the key phrase being that they will ultimately be available. Not that I can't sit here and play the fantasy game. Hell, I can play that game and come up with a bunch of people. Reality, that's the game I have to deal in.''

The reality of it is Figgins is signed through this season, has one more year of being arbitration eligible and will be a free agent in 2010. The Angels' infield is young and talented -- hence the reason they traded shortstop Orlando Cabrera in the winter -- but Figgins' name has come up before in trade rumors, especially where the Sox are concerned.

Further evidence that he could be expendable is that while the Sox were in Los Angeles playing the Angels last week, there was whispers that the Angels would make a hard push for free agent-to-be Joe Crede when the season ends.

Figgins, who can play multiple positions in the infield, was playing third base before a hamstring injury put the speedster on the 15-day disabled list.

''To a large degree, the heavy lifting was done this offseason,'' Williams said when asked about possible changes in his roster. ''To start thinking and talking about tweaks -- and you can always think about it -- but realistically we just need guys to perform at their levels. Not above their levels, just at their levels.

''You're not going to be able to go out and get anybody better than what we have here.''

Considering the Sox (24-20) have won six straight games, maybe he's not far off.

This latest victory was impressive for a few reasons, starting with the Sox beating Indians pitcher C.C. Sabathia. The hefty lefty was a career 7-0 with a 2.69 ERA in his 11 previous starts at the Cell, and that changed quickly as Carlos Quentin hit a solo homer off him in the first. Jim Thome got one an inning later.

That was all Sox starter Jose Contreras (5-3) needed, with the veteran going six innings and handcuffing Cleveland (22-23) for one run. The bullpen did the rest, with Bobby Jenks eventually recording his 11th save after flawless setup work by Matt Thornton, Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink.

''C.C. was pitching, we had an off day [on Monday], there were a lot of reasons there for a bad night, but it didn't happen,'' first baseman Paul Konerko said. ''Right now we feel like the game is a lot shorter with the bullpen. It feels like if we can get to the sixth inning with the lead, it makes it an easier night.''

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
We dont have the bullets to get him, and the Angels dont want to unload him.

I tend to agree. It's unfortunate cause I really believe the Sox are a Figgins/Roberts away from being serious contenders(and I'm not talking about just winning the division).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
Why would the Angels do this right now? If they want Crede, why not wait until the offseason when you don't have to trade Chone? I actually think Cristian Guzman would be a great fit, as he's played some good baseball lately.

The only reason why I think they would is because they feel he'd help their playoff push, and that they want first dibs on him in the offseason.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
The only reason why I think they would is because they feel he'd help their playoff push, and that they want first dibs on him in the offseason.

Trade and sign, may be cheaper than waiting for free agency. If the Sox gave them permission to talk extension before a trade, it could work. Until Borass screws it up.

To get Roberts, Broadway is out of town maybe even Egbert plus others including Richar. To get Figgins, I would assume they would rather have a good minor league position player that we don't have to give. The pitching in Anaheim will be solid for the next 5 years.

Figgins is also hitting the ball well and finding ways to get on base, hence his .306 average and .421 OBP (3rd in the AL). I really doubt Figgins is going anywhere and this is just space filler.

I also don't think this is the right time to trade Crede either.

I just dont see a playoff contender trading away their leadoff hitter to another team who is possibly going to contend for the playoffs. I would LOVE Chone but it just doesnt seem realistic. Ramirez has done a fine job in Uribe's absence, but a true leadoff hitter is the missing ingrediant to something big here.

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ May 22, 2008 -> 12:56 AM)
To get Roberts, Broadway is out of town maybe even Egbert plus others including Richar. To get Figgins, I would assume they would rather have a good minor league position player that we don't have to give. The pitching in Anaheim will be solid for the next 5 years.

If that's all it took, I would do it in a heartbeat. Richar may have promise and Broadway could be a solid 4-5 starter in the MLB and Egbert could be a decent long man out of the bullpen/5th starter but we get an all-star 2B and legit lead off hitter to anchor this team. Having Swisher/Cabrera bat 8-9 and Roberts/AJ batting 1-2, gives us a Junior Varsity and Varsity tandem of top of the order type hitters for Carlos et al.

White Sox Interested In Figgins?

THURSDAY: Angels GM Tony Reagins says he hasn't talked to Williams and has no interest in trading Figgins at this time. It may be true that Figgins is on Williams' wish list, but perhaps that's where it ended.

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)

They are asking for top prospects, we dont have those that are tradeable.

And you arent going to get figgins for some crap minor leaguers and uribe. He's hitting .306 .423 and has a career .293 BA and plays pretty much every position on the field and leads off. Would YOU trade a guy like that for the crap we have?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Figgins is also hitting the ball well and finding ways to get on base, hence his .306 average and .421 OBP (3rd in the AL). I really doubt Figgins is going anywhere and this is just space filler.

Agreed. Where's the Angels' incentive to trade him during the season, being in first place and all?

QUOTE (The Beast @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Look guys, I'll admit don't know much about Figgins or the Angels asking price for him, but would the Angels take Uribe and a minor leaguer (AAA pitcher?) if we ate a decent portion of Uribe's salary?

Why would they ever do that? We don't have any AAA pitchers that are worth Figgins, and at this point, Uribe would hurt the deal as oppose to help it.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 22, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Why would they ever do that? We don't have any AAA pitchers that are worth Figgins, and at this point, Uribe would hurt the deal as oppose to help it.

Broadway or Poreda,and yes Uribe would hurt the deal.