Any Northwestern Students or Alum?

Texsox

My daughter, the really hard working smart one has wanted to attend NU for years and is now close to graduating (entering senior year). she has a 4.0 in the International Baccalaureate program, etc. But she worries it still is not enough? Anyone with experience to share? Her class rank is 25/400

I work with a lady who has one daughter there and her other wanted to go there but was rejected. Both had great transcripts, but the one that got in excepted has extensive extra curricular accomplishments.

Not sure if that will help.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 23, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
My daughter, the really hard working smart one has wanted to attend NU for years and is now close to graduating (entering senior year). she has a 4.0 in the International Baccalaureate program, etc. But she worries it still is not enough? Anyone with experience to share? Her class rank is 25/400

My brother got his MBA there. If that meathead can do it anybody can.

Northwestern is absurdly tough, though I think some of it depends on what program she chooses. I applied to Medill with somewhere around a 3.8 at Fenwick (private Catholic college prep school, typically 99/100% college enrollment) with a 30 ACT and didn't get in after applying early decision. With a 4.0 I would think she's at least in the running, but test scores and extra-curriculars matter too. IIRC they were big on activities that displayed leadership. That was a pain in the ass application too, they wanted like 4 essays. <_>

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 23, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
She is an amazing dancer and teaches tumbling and gymastics.

If she did volunteer work, it might help.

Maybe she could teach tumbling and gymnastics to underpriviledged or mentally handicapped kids.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 23, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
If she did volunteer work, it might help.

Maybe she could teach tumbling and gymnastics to underpriviledged or mentally handicapped kids.

Active in Girl Scouts, does some charity work, and about to do a lot more. Covering all the bases. Weird thing she is very conservative and wants to go into journalism. I hope the professors can fix her.

i applied and didnt get in....the extra curricular activities are nice, but frankly in high school so many people have them. what matters is gonna be grades and ACT/SAT, at least for the most part..the extra curricular stuff will get you the extra nudge if you are on the bubble....I had a 31 ACT, and i didnt have a true GPA because i went to a diff. HS that didnt calculate GPA after my fresh year...but i basically had all As for two years, but my jr year i had a C+ and a bunch of Bs so my grades coulda been better...That said I had a bunch of friends in college who had really similar credentials that got in. with a 4.0 i would imagine if she can get a 30, or a 1350 SAT (i think they added a section from when i took it, so whatever that would be over 3 sections...right about 2000 i guess) she would have a pretty solid shot. Its a tough school though, no doubt. Not sure if Medill is any harder or easier to get into than the others, but I would really recommend looking into it. I know at Vandy alot of people got in "backdoor" by applying to Peabody, the education school, which supposedly was quite a bit easier to get into. Then once in they were able to transfer to college of A&S. Make sure you do your homework if she does anything like that though, because some schools dont allow transferring between the various programs like that, and it may turn out that neither program is harder/easier than the other

BTW if she ever had any aspirations of anything in sports, medill is the place to do it. So many prominent sports writers/personalities went there. Greenberg, Adande, Wilbon, Musberger, Rich Eisen....actually really for any type of journalism its a truly fantastic school

Edited by daa84

My brother went there. However, he was ranked no. 1 in his class, had like a 4.4 GPA (if not higher) out of 4 (which I don't know how is possible), was the editor for the school news paper, got a 33 or 34 on his ACT, and was involved in a bunch of other stuff. Plus, he went there with an academic scholarship. So yeah, my brother had no trouble getting in. But from all I've heard, it's ridiculously tough to get.

Not really sure if this post helps at all.

Northwestern. Blah. Go to University of Chicago.

And a quick note: With schools like Northwestern and Chicago you are paying for name recognition--not necessarily a better education. I honestly would say that the education I got at a smaller school (with less name recognition) was just as good as the bigger names that I had on my list (if not better because of crazy small classes and no grad TAs).

We have a joke in my graduate program (or some of us do)--there are some students here that did their undergrad at Yale, Cornell, Northwestern and UCLA and they talk about it CONSTANTLY. Those of us who paid half of what they did for college and got into the same program can't help but snicker a little. . .

QUOTE (Soxy @ May 24, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Northwestern. Blah. Go to University of Chicago.

And a quick note: With schools like Northwestern and Chicago you are paying for name recognition--not necessarily a better education. I honestly would say that the education I got at a smaller school (with less name recognition) was just as good as the bigger names that I had on my list (if not better because of crazy small classes and no grad TAs).

We have a joke in my graduate program (or some of us do)--there are some students here that did their undergrad at Yale, Cornell, Northwestern and UCLA and they talk about it CONSTANTLY. Those of us who paid half of what they did for college and got into the same program can't help but snicker a little. . .

There are a ton of other reasons as well why I have serious reservations about Northwestern. But once she sets a goal, it is very tough to change her path. So I try and help.

I'm starting next month. Finishing my BS, two more years. My girlfriend graduated from there in 03. I don't know, it doesn't seem all that tough to get in. 4.0 and a good ACT should get the job done I would think.