Is Google unpatriotic?

EvilMonkey

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Alpha, we came to almost exact opposite conclusions when looking at our search pages. I thought, wow, Google has enough respect to not turn it into a cartoon, which is how I remember all of their other special logos.

It would have been nice, but I dont think any less of google for their lack of a memorial day logo.

I celebrate memorial day, as I hope all other Americans wishing to honor our servicemen would. If google wants to leave their logo solemn for memorial day, oh well. I'm still going to raise the flag, and try to appreciate the men and women, far greater than I, who sacrificed their lives so that I could enjoy the day off.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 26, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Wow Alpha, we came to almost exact opposite conclusions when looking at our search pages. I thought, wow, Google has enough respect to not turn it into a cartoon, which is how I remember all of their other special logos.

So because they tend to be lighthearted, they can't be serious this one time? They finally did one for Veteran's Day, I don't recall that one being cartoonish. Is the Yahoo one cartoonish and/or disrespectful? With all the changing they do, how could they not do this one. "Don't be evil" is their motto. How about "Don't be stupid."? Or "Don't be short-sighted"? I am not 'deeply offended', no 'manufactured outrage' or going to start a boycot, I just find this sad.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
So because they tend to be lighthearted, they can't be serious this one time? They finally did one for Veteran's Day, I don't recall that one being cartoonish. Is the Yahoo one cartoonish and/or disrespectful? With all the changing they do, how could they not do this one. "Don't be evil" is their motto. How about "Don't be stupid."? Or "Don't be short-sighted"? I am not 'deeply offended', no 'manufactured outrage' or going to start a boycot, I just find this sad.

I guess they could have. In the wake of Memorial Day being mostly about grilling hotdogs and big sales at Macy's, I'm thinking not using it to increase business is more respectful. It would seem that you wanted them to make a special banner that drives traffic to the site, that just feels wrong to me.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 26, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
They changes their logo to honor the 50th anniversary of Sputnik! They did it to honor Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday! On April 20 (420) they changed it to some sort of trippy-looking artwork. They have done MLK day and even Halloween. Last year after some bloggers made a stink about it, they did Veterans Day. This just seems like a curious omission.

I find Google's reasoning perfectly acceptable unless you're saying that Memorial Day should be in the same category as the 50th anniversary of Sputnik, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday, and Halloween? The only other day that deserves that same treatment is MLK day.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
I find Google's reasoning perfectly acceptable unless you're saying that Memorial Day should be in the same category as the 50th anniversary of Sputnik, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday, and Halloween? The only other day that deserves that same treatment is MLK day.

And that does lead to a question, is a company more or less patriotic for having a Memorial Day Sale-A-Bration!!

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 27, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
And that does lead to a question, is a company more or less patriotic for having a Memorial Day Sale-A-Bration!!

There was this commercial like 10 years ago doing a parody of guys like that and the TV in the commercial explodes... I lol'd.

That also reminds me of that guy that comes on those late night commercials to sell various gadgets and trinkets who screams at the top of his lungs. The guy with the beard, I don't know his name.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
That also reminds me of that guy that comes on those late night commercials to sell various gadgets and trinkets who screams at the top of his lungs. The guy with the beard, I don't know his name.

That guy kills me. He sells so much crap but he really does make me feel like I need to buy it all.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:42 AM)
That guy kills me. He sells so much crap but he really does make me feel like I need to buy it all.

You talkin' about the Orange Glow and Oxyclean guy?

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)

But see, they HAVE done serious holidays, like MLK day and Veterans day. So are you suggesting that they don't do serious and just stay funny?

I think Google goofed this one up but don't really give a s***.

It's funny how you all can take such a harsh stance one way or the other.

"I'm boycotting Google" - ok, that's your call, use an inferior search engine.

"You're an idiot boycotting Google is dumb wtf I'm pissed at you" - take it easy, how does it affect you?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 27, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
But see, they HAVE done serious holidays, like MLK day and Veterans day. So are you suggesting that they don't do serious and just stay funny?

They do it to increase business. If there was one or two holidays that should be above commercial exploitation, isn't Memorial Day one of them? Or have we gotten to the point we believe every holiday should be used to promote a business?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 27, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)

I'm suggesting that if they say they didn't want to do Memorial Day because they took it too seriously, and didn't want to make light of it like they normally do, then I believe them. I don't really see what the big deal is honestly, they do Independence Day (that's a celebratory, light-hearted but still patriotic holiday) and Veteran's Day (very similar to Memorial Day, not as somber I guess) so that kind of nullifies concerns about not doing Memorial Day in my mind.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Sorry but that might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted in here in quite some time. Will you ban all other products and companies that do not have a tribute to Memorial Day in some way?

I drove by our movie theater today and saw no flag....won't be going there ever again.

The homeless shelter down the block didn't have a flag in front. Guess I'll be volunteering at a different one now.

ESPN.com didn't commemorate the holiday on their main page. Deleted them as a bookmark. In fact, I see nothing on the Soxtalk main page. Guess I'll stop visiting here too and you probably will too.

How often does espn.com put up things for christmas, st. patricks day, valentines day, etc? Besides maybe some catchy title for the top story once in a while, never. I'd have no problem with google leaving their sign blank if they did it for all holidays.

I find this very offensive, and do not wish to patronize their product anymore. Just like I would do this with any other company I find offensive. I don't by any gas from citgo, does that make me crazy? I decide not to by any more products from GE because of their dealing with Iran, am I some sort of nutjob?

If you don't find it offensive, fine. I don't care. But don't call me out and practically call me an idiot because I find something offensive.

Edited by BearSox

I dont know if anyone remembers, or even tried, the thing where you type failure into the search bar and hit Im feeling lucky. A few years ago it took you right to GWBs webpage. It definitely did that too because I personally have seen it. So I wouldnt say this was for sure a mistake or anything. Either way though I dont know why anyone would be that concerned about it. Who really cares. The day that I let Googles holiday celebrations affect my mood is the day I need to take a long hard look in the mirror and punch myself in the face.

I cannot believe there is a thread about the google f***ing logo. You realize that the internet is a world wide thing, and that the world doesnt care if its memorial day. Be happy they cover the basics here and move on.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Sorry but that might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen posted in here in quite some time. Will you ban all other products and companies that do not have a tribute to Memorial Day in some way?

I drove by our movie theater today and saw no flag....won't be going there ever again.

The homeless shelter down the block didn't have a flag in front. Guess I'll be volunteering at a different one now.

ESPN.com didn't commemorate the holiday on their main page. Deleted them as a bookmark. In fact, I see nothing on the Soxtalk main page. Guess I'll stop visiting here too and you probably will too.

I'm pretty sure we had a Memorial Day Thread though ;)

In fact, in the early days of SoxNet/Soxtalk, we actually closed our site in honor of 9/11 and had links to Red Cross sites. No one can ever not call Soxtalk unpatriotic :)

That said, I think nothing of the sort with google not putting something up.