About this time last year...

Wanne

My problem is that our hitters have been getting pitched the same every game since the 2nd half of 2006 (hard inside to jam them, soft away/down and out of the zone to finish them off) and we have yet to adjust. Greg Walker isn't the sole culprit, but you can't fire the players, especially in the middle of the season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
The Tigers have scored 261 runs to our 238. What is your point?

Regardless of total runs scored, the Tigers have still been "shut down" more this year than the Sox. The Tigers have more runs on the season because they've scored 19 runs twice and have several other double digit runs scored games. However, the Tigers have been shut out more than the Sox (9 games for the Tigers, 6 for the Sox) and have scored three runs or less more times than the Sox (27 games to 25 games). Both offenses suck, but the Tigers are actually a little more susceptible to being "shut down" on offense than the Sox while having, on paper, a better offense.

I agree with DA that changing the hitting coach won't matter much. At some point, the Sox are going to have to change the players. How long do you give the so-called Leathal Weapon 3? One more month at the most, in my opinion, as the Sox should face worse pitching, play at home more, and have warmer weather, which removes each of those as a potential excuse for not hitting. If, at the end of June, these guys aren't hitting, hopefully some changes can be made.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
The Tigers have scored 261 runs to our 238. What is your point?

A team with more supposed offensive talent than the White Sox. Many predicted 1000 runs scored this year. Shutout 9 times, have scored 2 or fewer runs in 21 games already. In those 21 games, they haven't won any. On top of that, they have another 6 game where they scored 3 runs. They won 1 of those. So in games where they have scored 3 or less runs, 27, which is about half the season, they have won once. I would say a team that supposedly was high powered, scoring 3 or less runs in half their games is a shut down.

Edited by Dick Allen

There's plenty of blame to go around for this pathetic hitting. Thome, Konerko, and Swisher deserve their share. I don't think these guys can be replaced other than Swisher.

On the other hand, I don't think it's a coincidence that pretty much every player wearing a Sox uniform the last few years has a long, loopy, lift & pull swing. I don't really understand the reluctance to part with Walker. It can't get worse. It could get better.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Ya, there's no downside at all. It might not make a huge difference but things can only get better.

Can we just find a PED supplier to infilitrate our clubhouse? That seems to be the one constant over the past few years.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
You need to give that a rest.

Fair enough....so no PED reference for anyone? I know that's how it used to be on here, and then that policy seemed to change. Honestly, I have no issues with that. Thanks for clearing it up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Fair enough....so no PED reference for anyone? I know that's how it used to be on here, and then that policy seemed to change. Honestly, I have no issues with that. Thanks for clearing it up.

No. But you've been throwing that out there every day now. I think we all know by now that you think Swish was on something which I'm not sure I agree with but it definitely has legs to it. Just don't need to hear it all the time. That's jmo though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
No. But you've been throwing that out there every day now. I think we all know by now that you think Swish was on something which I'm not sure I agree with but it definitely has legs to it. Just don't need to hear it all the time. That's jmo though.

That particular comment I just made had little to do with Swisher, in all honesty. Bureau was on here the other day talking about how certain teams, like the Indians, have seen huge offensive declines since PED testing went into place. It just seems like the Sox are going through similar things, as they started off so strong in 2006, and then everyone just seems to have hit the wall since then.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Can we just find a PED supplier to infilitrate our clubhouse? That seems to be the one constant over the past few years.

Swish is the only guy we have that was on PED's I think, so that's not really the issue. The problem is we're old, slow, have a bad hitting coach, can't adjust to the way we're pitched, can't get guys home from 3rd with less than two outs, etc. Basically, the problem is we suck on offense in every way imaginable.

Edited by whitesoxfan101