Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

Guillen has enough after loss

By Mark Gonzales - 3:47 p.m.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - After watching his underachieving offense go 2-for-14 in a 4-3 loss at Tampa Bay, manager Ozzie Guillen promised some changes to his White Sox roster.

"Just be ready because I expect movement Tuesday," Guillen said. "I expect Kenny to do something Tuesday, and if we don’t do anything Tuesday, there are going to be a lot of lineup changes. That’s all I’m going to say about the offense.

"It can be me. It can be (hitting coach) Greg Walker. It can be the players. It could be anybody. I’m sick and tired to watch this thing for a year and a half. I’m not protecting anybody anymore. (Bleep) it.

"If they can’t get it done, Kenny should find someone to get it done. That’s it."

link

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....en-has-eno.html

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - After watching his underachieving offense go 2-for-14 in a 4-3 loss at Tampa Bay, manager Ozzie Guillen promised some changes to his White Sox roster.

"Just be ready because I expect movement Tuesday," Guillen said. "I expect Kenny to do something Tuesday, and if we don’t do anything Tuesday, there are going to be a lot of lineup changes. That’s all I’m going to say about the offense.

"It can be me. It can be (hitting coach) Greg Walker. It can be the players. It could be anybody. I’m sick and tired to watch this thing for a year and a half. I’m not protecting anybody anymore. (Bleep) it.

"If they can’t get it done, Kenny should find someone to get it done. That’s it."

link

ok i said in the next 10-20 days, i didnt expect the next 2 days. lol

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
Ozzie's job is to get the best out of every player. To do that, he better not have a double standard, he better have 25 different standards, one for each player. What might be great for Buerhle, could be a disaster foir Jenks.

wow, ozzie really putting Kenny on the spot.....i like it

I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard Uribe was gone twice and nothing happened, most noteably. He said the same s*** after the Blue Jays series too. Now we may change the lineup again, but the reason it worked so well last time was Quentin has been great and A.J. got hot. Another change is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic right now, and I doubt we'll see actual roster changes with this veteran group. Glad to see Ozzie is pissed off at least. He should be.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)

link

But KW said it's not like you can go out there and trade for a Jim Thome type hitter.

The team is too blame as a whole, but a lot falls on PK, Swisher and Thome. They're the veteran leadership and 2 of them are getting paid big bucks. In terms of on the field actions, if they hit like they can, you can probably take AJ out of the 2 hole (he's not a number 2 hitter).

Is it coincidence that the Sox are so bad with RISP yet you still have Thome and PK in the middle of the order. CQ carries a .400 OBP. Cabrera is heating up. Dye is hitting .300 and is on base a decent amount of time. The big boppers need to do their job. If they do what they are capable of then everything else falls in place.

If Ozzie's answer is to sit Crede, then he's wussing out. PK, Thome and Swisher are the 3 main hitters. I'd love to see Ozzie do something with them.

The Sox just blew a gold opporutnity to take 3 of 4 from a very good hitting T Bay team while on the road. They blew it big time.

It's about time Ozzie got pissed.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard Uribe was gone twice and nothing happened, most noteably. He said the same s*** after the Blue Jays series too. Now we may change the lineup again, but the reason it worked so well last time was Quentin has been great and A.J. got hot. Another change is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic right now, and I doubt we'll see actual roster changes with this veteran group. Glad to see Ozzie is pissed off at least. He should be.

Didnt he say he would NOT change things after the Toronto series? I dont remember him saying anything like this yet, especially not in regards to Walker losing his job

I don't know what he's going to change. The main guys he would think about calling up from Charlotte, Owens (sucking), Richar(sucking) and Fields (apparently injured) aren't going to help right now. Konerko and Thome are going nowhere. Does anyone really want Dye's contract? Swisher, Anderson are those guys going to bring you much that would be useful right now? I think its a lot of frustration. Maybe they will fire Walker. Then everyone will see how silly it was.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
Didnt he say he would NOT change things after the Toronto series? I dont remember him saying anything like this yet, especially not in regards to Walker losing his job

I think you are right.....and I too have never herd him say anything about Walker

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)

It's possible, in fact probable, that your right. I know he's made threats similar to these today this year though, just couldn't remember exactly when it was.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd be very surprised... stunned in fact... if we see any roster changes.

I think it's just venting... Ozzie style.

Most likely. Outside of Walker getting the axe, there isn't much that Ozzie or KW can do.

Direct quote from Guillen broadcasted on WSCR: "If we think we're going to win with this offense we're full of s***."

HAHAHAHAHAH. I love it. I don't care if he's throwing his offense under the bus, it's true. Too bad there's nothing much Williams can do. At the least, he has assured tomorrow's offday will be interesting.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Correct. With a very limited minor league system(that is being generous) and a shallow 25 man roster, there isn't much to be done.

You're going to see a few guys shifted around in the order. Big deal.

Go with this lineup: OC, Thome, CQ, AJ, Dye, Swisher, Konerko, Crede, Ramirez

to me that really sounds like ozzie has had enough of walker....saying hes "done protecting people" and what not...and the whole year and a half thing, i mean i dont think realistically there can be major changes to the roster that will bring about change by tuesday....so i think ozzie is referring to walker (not saying that will bring about change either)

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Correct. With a very limited minor league system(that is being generous) and a shallow 25 man roster, there isn't much to be done.

You're going to see a few guys shifted around in the order. Big deal.

It wouldn't serve much of a difference, but I'd love to see this order:

Cabrera

Ramirez

Quentin

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Thome

Konerko

Swisher

Konerko may have his sore thumb (and according to reports he has been hitting better), but until he starts producing more he can sit with the rest of the non contributors at the bottom of the order.

Can we trade like Nick Swisher + Broadway for Adam Dunn? Or Swisher + Broadway + Poreda for Matt Holliday?

Swisher at rock bottom hitting wise but he's still got enough of a track record and cheap contract where maybe people would think he has value.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Can we trade like Nick Swisher + Broadway for Adam Dunn? Or Swisher + Broadway + Poreda for Matt Holliday?

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Reds are playing some good ball, they won't trade Dunn unless they get a #2 or 3 starter in return. I'd give up the whole farm for Holliday though, but where would he play?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
to me that really sounds like ozzie has had enough of walker....saying hes "done protecting people" and what not...and the whole year and a half thing, i mean i dont think realistically there can be major changes to the roster that will bring about change by tuesday....so i think ozzie is referring to walker (not saying that will bring about change either)

That's how I interpret it too. There's nothing KW can realistically do with the roster by Tuesday to have any effect. I think Ozzie is saying that he's been watching the same horrid approach by his supposedly good major league hitters for the past two years now and it's the hitting coach who is in charge of that aspect of the game. Ozzie has never said a negative word about Walker. But now he may be telling KW, "Either get me a hitting coach that can get through to these hitters or get rid of me because I'm tired of watching this s***!"

From the Sun-Times:

Williams was at home when informed of Guillen's comments, and made it clear he wasn't happy about them.

''Very interesting, very disappointing,'' Williams said. ''It's never a good idea to throw your boss under the bus, especially when that boss has had his back as much as I have. I guess that lineup will be real interesting to see on Tuesday.

''We have the horses. Everyone has to stay positive and keep grinding. If you're looking for a quick fix personnel-wise, with the climate right now, you're not going to get it. I expect more of everyone in that uniform and certainly the guy leading the team on the field.''

As for potential changes, Guillen is in charge of hiring and firing his coaching staff, a power granted by Williams after the 2005 season. So if Walker is sent packing, it will be Guillen's call.

So he wasn't talking about Walker, because firing him is Ozzie's call not KW's.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
Reds are playing some good ball, they won't trade Dunn unless they get a #2 or 3 starter in return. I'd give up the whole farm for Holliday though, but where would he play?

I actually would prefer Dunn as Holliday has the Coors Fiel thing going on. But either would be fine.

Holliday could play corner OF if we outright decide to bench Thome or Konerko. That is the only way. I doubt they would do it, but Thome does have that option, so it's like killing two birds with one stone.

I agree with Cinci playing well right, but realistically they're going nowhere. I think Dunn could be had, doesn't mean the Sox will get him though.

I know neither are probably very realistic. But I can't think of any other moves that would actually improve this team.