Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

Alright, let's make this easy for everyone and make an all encompassing thread for the draft. Discuss whatever you want here pertaining to the draft and I'll compile a list of our picks at the end of the day to make it a bit easier on everyone.

We have a little over three hours until the draft begins, so start discussing s***!

mods: please sticky this

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it comes down to four guys that I think the Sox will seriously look at: Alonso, Smoak, Wallace and G. Beckham. 3/4 will possibly be available, but most likely 2/4 and those are Alonso and Wallace. If this happens though, it is likely a Crow or Matsusz has dropped, but I just don't see the Sox going college pitcher, which is stupid IMO if both are available. In the end I think the Sox take Brett Wallace.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I believe 2 PM EST.

Yes. The pre-shows start at noon EST. The draft is at 2.

The chips are starting to fall into place. With the Rays taking Beckham the next big pick affecting us is Kansas City.

The Kansas City Star suggests that if Tim Beckham and Pedro Alvarez are off the board, then Kansas City is leaning toward Eric Hosmer. However, concerns about signability may push them to select Posey or Matusz. Here's a quote from an article this morning.

"Hosmer has indicated he wants a signing bonus of approximately $7 million to forego college. That would shatter the club record of $4 million given last year to Moustakas and in 2005 to Alex Gordon. Moustakas and Gordon were the second overall picks in their draft classes. Hochevar got a $3.5 million signing bonus as the first overall pick in 2006, but that was part of a four-year deal for a guaranteed $5.3 million and included escalators capable of boosting its total value to $7 million. The debate for the Royals in the remaining hours might be this simple: Is Hosmer worth the headache of another battle with Boras?"

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Hopefully they can resist the family oriented overdraft. I would be upset with this pick.

Well, Regier was fired, so I think we don't have to worry about that.

Update I heard is Sox have no interest in Crow, as he's asking for a huge contract. The Sox thought for sure they'd get G. Beckham, but he seems a lock to go before 8. They will take Smoak if he's there, but if not, look for it to be Wallace.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
So far pieces are starting to fall into place. Buster Posey looks to be dropping because of his outrageous demand of a 12 million dollar bonus.

TB will take Beckham.

PIT will take Alvarez

KC will take Hosmer

Sox have no interest in going that much over slot money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Sox have no interest in going that much over slot money.

Well I didn't specifically mean pieces falling in place to get Posey. I personally think if they do get a C, it will be Castro for reasons already stated. I personally am not a fan.

And yes, JR won't go over slot because of both money and because he's good friends with Bud Selig.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
I really don't think it has anything to do with money either. JR doesn't want to piss of his golfing buddy in Selig.

Exactly...Crow's supposedly free falling right now. Hopefully someone takes him prior to the Cubs.

And yes, JR won't go over slot because of both money and because he's good friends with Bud Selig.

More or less I suppose. His actual reason are one, he thinks it's bad business because so many players don't pan out (of course there's an argument against that). And two, he thinks ever increasing draft bonuses are bad for the game.

Supposedly they have spent all sorts of time scouting Brett Wallace so that's my call. If it's him that's fine by me. Pure bat and Konerko's replacement in two years. Plus I won't have to deal with quickman following the guy's career with another team and saying "what did I tell you, what did I tell you".

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Supposedly they have spent all sorts of time scouting Brett Wallace so that's my call. If it's him that's fine by me. Pure bat and Konerko's replacement in two years. Plus I won't have to deal with quickman following the guy's career with another team and saying "what did I tell you, what did I tell you".

and yes you would hear that from me no doubt. Furthermore, just heard Steve Stone say that all his scouts have said that Crow is a surgery waiting to happen. They won't take him. i would love Wallace if not because I know he can hit the tar out of the ball but because his name is better than Yonder. I mean really, what jersey would you rather buy? Wallace or Yonder? Now thats my pick Wallace, but the sox will surely dissapoint me.