Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
and yes you would hear that from me no doubt. Furthermore, just heard Steve Stone say that all his scouts have said that Crow is a surgery waiting to happen. They won't take him. i would love Wallace if not because I know he can hit the tar out of the ball but because his name is better than Yonder. I mean really, what jersey would you rather buy? Wallace or Yonder? Now thats my pick Wallace, but the sox will surely dissapoint me.

Well, his surname is actually Alonso....first name is Yonder...:)

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note about Wallace from the Arizona State website...

Brett Wallace Named A Finalist For The Golden Spikes Award

Wallace becomes 8th Sun Devil to be a finalist for most prestigious college baseball award

June 3, 2008

TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona State junior third baseman and two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year Brett Wallace has been named a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the nation's premier amateur baseball player. Wallace becomes the 8th Sun Devil be names a Golden Spikes Award finalist and the first since Dustin Pedroia in 2004.

Wallace (Sonoma, Calif.) was named the Pac-10 Player of the Year for the second straight after leading the Pac-10 in six categories, including batting average (.414), hits (94), runs (83), RBI (81), total bases (173) and home runs (21). Wallace was a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award last season.

(In 2007, he batted .423, with a .500 OBP, and a .719 SLG -- a 1.219 OPS. And that was over a full college season. Pretty impressive.)

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
A note about Wallace from the Arizona State website...

Brett Wallace Named A Finalist For The Golden Spikes Award

Wallace becomes 8th Sun Devil to be a finalist for most prestigious college baseball award

June 3, 2008

TEMPE, Ariz. - Arizona State junior third baseman and two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year Brett Wallace has been named a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the nation's premier amateur baseball player. Wallace becomes the 8th Sun Devil be names a Golden Spikes Award finalist and the first since Dustin Pedroia in 2004.

Wallace (Sonoma, Calif.) was named the Pac-10 Player of the Year for the second straight after leading the Pac-10 in six categories, including batting average (.414), hits (94), runs (83), RBI (81), total bases (173) and home runs (21). Wallace was a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award last season.

(In 2007, he batted .423, with a .500 OBP, and a .719 SLG -- a 1.219 OPS. And that was over a full college season. Pretty impressive.)

thats What I am saying, he will be at first for us for along time. I really hope we get this kid. Saw him play this spring and he was hands above every other player on the field.

Here's my final mock before the draft. Didn't have time to do the supp. round, oh well. Some bold predictions in here.

01. Tampa Bay Rays: SS Tim Beckham, Georgia HS

Already official, isn't it? Well, Tampa shys away from Posey's contract demands and goes with the athletic players they like.

02. Pittsburgh Pirates: 3B Pedro Alvarez, Vanderbilt

Obvious here. Pirates are in love with Alvarez

03. Kansas City Royals: 1B Eric Hosmer, Florida HS

Posey's contract demands are so crazy, it makes Hosmer's demands look good. KC takes the power hitting prospect they have been lacking.

04. Baltimore Orioles: LHSP Brian Matusz, San Diego

Baltimore goes the safer route and take Matusz. Crow was a thought here, but the contract scared them away.

05. San Francisco Giants: 1B Justin Smoak, South Carolina

Posey would be a good pick here, but it is rumored he is demanding 12 million if he is drafted by any other team besides New York or Boston.

06. Florida Marlins: C Kyle Skipworth, California HS

They have loved him for a while now and the pick makes sense.

07. Cincinnati Reds: MI Gordon Beckham, Georgia

Pretty much official that Beckham will be the pick here. Can advance quickly and be ready to help as soon as next season.

08. Chicago White Sox: 1B/3B Brett Wallace, Arizona St.

With Smoak and Beckham gone, the White Sox no. 3 target Wallace is the pick.

09. Washington Nationals: RHSP Aaron Crow, Missouri

Drops because of contract concerns, but the arm is just too good for Washington to pass up.

10. Houston Astros: RHP Ethan Martin, Georgia HS

I could see Yonder here, but with the Astros farm, they need help everywhere, and they get the best prep pitcher.

11. Texas Rangers: RHP Andrew Cashner, TCU

Texas needs pitching, pitching, and more pitching every year it seems. They go with the flamethrower Cashner who can help out in the short-run as a SU guy and perhaps evetually become a starter.

12. Oakland Athletics: 1B Yonder Alonso, Miami

Perfect Beane type of hitter: is smart, patient and knows how to take the walk. Might only be a 1B/DH for them, but they can't pass up the bat.

13. St. Louis Cardinals: RHSP Tim Melville, Missouri HS

St. Louis goes with arguably the best prep pitcher from their home state.

14. Minnesota Twins: 2B/OF Jemile Weeks, Miami

Twins always shock everyone, and they arguably reach on Weeks with their first pick this year. Very underrated prospect, IMO, who I think will turn out to be better than his brother.

15. Los Angeles Dodgers: OF Aaron Hicks, California HS

LA gets their man and future CF right from their own backyard. Ideal pick for them.

16. Milwaukee Brewers: RHRP Josh Fields, Georgia

Man, Milwaukee needs help in the pen. Fields can advance quickly and could be their closer as soon as next year.

17. Toronto Blue Jays: C/UT Brett Lawre, Canada HS

Toronto goes with home-state guy who is loaded with potential and has a good bat, but doesn't quite have a position yet. Could play C, 3B, or the OF.

18. New York Mets: OF/1B Ike Davis, Arizona St.

With the first of their 2 first rounders, they go with the lefty swinging Davis, who provides them with a relatively safe pick who should progess quickly to either replace Delgado or move to the OF.

19. Chicago Cubs: SS Casey Kelly, Florida HS

The Cubs love their athletes, and this year is no exception. Kelly is a ridiculously talented player who could be a future NFL QB if he wanted. However, as long as he is picked in the first, and is picked to play SS, no team should have trouble signing him.

20. Seattle Mariners: RHSP Tanner Scheppers, Fresno St.

Rumors have been flying that the Mariners really like Scheppers and are willing to give him a big contract here. High risk, but high reward.

21. Detroit Tigers: RHSP Gerrit Cole, California HS

Detroit loves over-slotting and this year they do it again. Cole's stuff is electric, but there are concerns about his delivery. Like Scheppers, this is a high risk, high reward pick.

22. New York Mets: LHRP Daniel Schlereth, Arizona

It looks like the Mets want to stay safe and continue the college theme. Schlereth has been driving up draft boards and give the Mets a possible replacement for Wagner in a few years, and should provide New York with a good SU duo with Smith in the short run.

23. San Diego Padres: SS/OF Anthony Hewitt, Conneticut HS

San Diego needs hitters and they've had their eye on the incredibly athletic Hewitt for a while.

24. Philadelphia Phillies: OF Zach Collier, California HS

Typical Phillie pick here, as they love their athletes. The Phillies would gladly take Collier here, the guy once predicted to go in the top 15.

25. Colorado Rockies: RHSP Shooter Hunt, Tulane

Rockers are reported in love with Jake Odorizzi here, but the college starter Shooter Hunt might to tempting to pass up. He has fallen due to his fairly average pitching late in the season, but they love the potential.

26. Arizona Diamondbacks: RHP Ryan Perry, Arizona

Arizona doesn't have quite a lot of needs in their system, but you can never have too many live arms. Perry can either be a dominant future closer for them, or he can be moved to the rotation.

27. Minnesota Twins: LHSP Christian Friedrich, Eastern Kentucky

Minnesota loves pitching, and one of the top college pitchers falling to them here would be ideal for them after taking Weeks. Friedrich might not be great, but he's a good solid pitcher who knows how to pitch, the type Minnesota seems to be full of.

28. New York Yankees: C Buster Posey, Florida St.

It looks like Posey wants to drop so he can go to either the Yanks or BoSox, and it works. He uses his 12 million dollar signing bonus to scare off teams, and I don't see many teams willing to call him on his bluff, no matter how good of a prospect he is. The Yankees love the fact that he fall here right for the picking, and snag him up before the Red Sox do.

29. Cleveland Indians: 3B Connor Gillespie, Wichita St.

Cleveland is in the market for a college bat, and Gillespie is the best available. He is an all-around solid hitter, and should progess safely.

30. Boston Red Sox: 3B/SS Reese Havens, South Carolina

The Red Sox get their target back from a few years ago this year. Havens is a solid lefty bat who would provide them with a replacement for Lowell in a few years.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
If Posey is asking for $12 mil, the Sox should not take him. That's a ludicrous demand.

is Boras the agent? if so we will not draft him at least not in the first round. The only kid I think we will draft that is represented by boras is jordan Danks, and that is only because JR likes his family for whatever that is worth.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
If Posey is asking for $12 mil, the Sox should not take him. That's a ludicrous demand.

Well, the newest rumor is that he really want to go to either Boston or the Yankees, and to ensure he drops down that far, he is demanding 12 million from any team drafting him. I doubt if he does go to the Yankees or Boston that he would actually get 12 million and this is mainly a bluff so he can go to the team he wants. The thing is, by asking for 12 million, teams are less likely to call his bluff as no one is stupid enough to spend 12 million on a player who's never played in the MLB before.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)

I agree. Its dumb, he does not warrant $12 mil. Gah, whatever, I wanted him to go to the Rays so I can catch him on TV. Marlins would be nice too for the same reason, but whatever. At least the Cubs don't need a catcher.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Well, the newest rumor is that he really want to go to either Boston or the Yankees, and to ensure he drops down that far, he is demanding 12 million from any team drafting him. I doubt if he does go to the Yankees or Boston that he would actually get 12 million and this is mainly a bluff so he can go to the team he wants. The thing is, by asking for 12 million, teams are less likely to call his bluff as no one is stupid enough to spend 12 million on a player who's never played in the MLB before.

You just have to stop allowing the players and agents manipulate the draft this way. There may as well not even be a draft order anymore...

Right now, the big key pick for us is at pick 5.

If the Giants take Posey (they've been rumored to be interested in him before the $12M bonus demand), then Smoak should fall to #8.

If they take Smoak, I think Wallace will be our guy, because Beckham's going to the Reds at #7 it appears, and we don't want Crow at #8.

Smoak or Wallace, with the latter more likely IMHO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
You just have to stop allowing the players and agents manipulate the draft this way. There may as well not even be a draft order anymore...

I agree. I think it is really pointless to have the draft if that's the case. Might as well just make them FA's. MLB really needs to institute a hard slot number for each pick like the NBA. I think this is the only good thing the NBA does.