Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

I really hope we sign Upchurh. I really liked his stuff, and think once he fills out some more, he can add some velocity on that fastball.

Beckham and Danks from the college ranks and the upside of Upchurch from high school, along with some of the other early picks like O'Niel, Hudson, Dubler, and Morel would make for a very good draft, IMO. If only we didn't have that BS Kenny Williams pick in the 6th...

Side note, anyone know if Nevin Griffith is starting out at GF or Bristol?

Edited by BearSox

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 05:14 AM)
I can't see Long signing for anything but first round money and there is no way the Sox are going to offer him up 1.5 to 2 mill (hell, Beckham may not get much more than 2-3 mill (in fact I would be surprsied if he got much more, if any more than that).

This quote from Doug Laumann, the team's director of amateur scouting is somewhat encouraging, not necessarily for the signing of Long but other guys certainly:

"We feel like we did a great job and our scouts and supervisors were very diligent with what they did," he said. "We took some guys that had high ceilings that might be a little tough to sign down the road, but we need to do things like that, just in case our situation changes sometime in the summer."

They intentionally took some tougher sign guys so you've got to assume they intend to sign them. Laumann also touched on Long a little although didn't say anything about how aggressive they were going to be with negotiations:

"He's an interesting, physical young man," Laumann said of Long. "A big, strong, 6-foot-7, 275 pounds. He looks like a prototypical offensive lineman in the NFL. I saw him last summer, and he was extraordinarily talented. He didn't have a particularly good high school season.

"You know you get to certain point in the Draft where, I think, he didn't live up to the expectations that the industry thought he did, and we felt like maybe over the next two to three months we can see what we can do with him, and see what mechanical and physical things happen to him."

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
I wouldn't give Long first round money, he's too big of a question mark, IMO.

However, if we did, I wouldn't be too upset cause we need the talent.

Why not, what else would would happen with that money? It'll just stay in Jerry's pocket. If you were the owner I could understand that comment but as a fan how could you not want them to improve the farm even if that does mean giving a lot of money to a potentially high risk guy.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 12:34 AM)
Why not, what else would would happen with that money? It'll just stay in Jerry's pocket. If you were the owner I could understand that comment but as a fan how could you not want them to improve the farm even if that does mean giving a lot of money to a potentially high risk guy.

lol, I was just about to edit that post and say f*** it, give him first round money, we need the talent.

This would be a fabulous draft class for us if we can get Danks, Upchurch, and Long all to sign. Throw them into the mix along with Beckham, Morel, O'Niel, Hudson, Dubler, and some of the other more refined college picks, and I think this draft had great balance. Oh yeah, that Weaver guy out of high school we picked doesn't sound to bad, and Kuhn hit over .400 at WVU and just seems like the type of player you hate to doubt.

However, I think we will have a real tough time singing Long as usually once HS players fall past 20 they tend to get even tougher to sign. However, I hope we throw 1st-2nd round money at Long. A couple of other HS guys drafted later on that intrigue me as Thorpe and McCann, but they seem to be tough signs as well.

Hopefully we will throw big money as these HS guys this year, along with Danks.

Just throwing out a story from a friend last night....

one of their pitchers was warming up in the pen yesterday and after we had scored about 5 runs running on williams a fan said to the pitcher in the middle of his wind up "i'm not gunna lie, if ken williams jr. can get drafted in the 6th round then you guys are all first rounders"... the pitcher laughed in the middle of his throw and the pitch only made it about 55 feet... he then looked up and said "that was good"

ESPN was talking about how good Williams arm was, well I've been watching the games and if his arm is special, my freaking arm is special. He is fast as hell, but this was one of the biggest over-drafts since the A's moneyball draft (which was a terrible draft...Jeremy Brown, what a joke).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
Why would an organization do that to themselves?

Seriously...

On a side note, I can't believe Kyle Long is 5 months older than me and I'm about to be a Junior in college.

Of the White Sox 49 picks, 29 were college players and 20 were from the high school ranks. The Sox selected 20 pitchers (16 right-handers and four lefties), 16 infielders, seven catchers and six outfielders.

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
Of the White Sox 49 picks... 16 infielders, seven catchers

I like those numbers, especially if we can just sign a few of the catchers. It would help give the farm system depth at that position that desperately needs it, even if these guys are later round picks.