Beckham Huzzaaaah!

TCQ

1st Round Selection  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the White Sox's selecting of Gordon Beckham #8 overall?

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • Not Sure

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the pick. There is no such thing as a "sure thing", so you never know. but i really like his potential. He apparently has a very good bat with surprising pop. With a little muscle he could be pretty darn good. Some project he MIGHT be moved to 2B. But, He'll be given a shot at SS first.

With Smoak still on the board, I disapprove. I like Beckham, but he isn't that game-changing prospect we need, like Smoak is. Beckham is that scrappy type of player who will undoubtedly be a 2B in the future. While that's not bad, I expect better at 8. If Smoak was gone, fine, but Smoak should have been the pick.

In the future, I see Beckham as a good fielding 2B who will pretty much be a Michael Young type hitter except with more pop and less average.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
Also, this shows that the Richar trade was useless, we sure could use Cunningham in our system right now.

Well I didnt think they had the foreshadowing of picking a SS in the next draft with their number 1 pick and signing Alexei Ramirez in the offseason.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Well I didnt think they had the foreshadowing of picking a SS in the next draft with their number 1 pick and signing Alexei Ramirez in the offseason.

No, you can't, but a lot of people here were pissed about the deal at the time when we made it, and now thar Richar is pretty much burried on the depth chart now, that trade was useless.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)

Yeah, you can't look at things that way.

Would you rather they be stubborn about it, and make an even bigger mistake, by trying to plug in Richar when he isn't good enough? Should they refuse to address the position in order to defend a trade that didn't work out?

Not all trades work out. It's a fact of life in professional baseball. You have to move on.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
You can't really be mad about Bechkham, BUT I would have rather had Smoak or Crow.

Yeah, or Wallace as well. If the baseball draft was more about need I'd probably be happier, but I don't think we got the best available. I'm not upset, just slightly disappointed we didn't get one of the 3 guys I actively liked.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
assuming he progresses, what is his time line to the big leagues? 2010? 2011?

Best case scenario, mid-season or september call up in 09, with everyday action coming in 2010. But more likely he'll get his first big league taste in 2010 with 2011 being when he gets the starting job at 2B.

By the way, I do not see Beckham playing at any spot but 2B or the OF. He doesn't have the range nor the arm, IMO, to stick at SS.