AAP: Brent Morel

Brent Morel was the Chicago White Sox 3rd Round Selection (86 overall) in the 2008 MLB First Year Player Draft. He bats and throws right handed, and plays 3B for Cal Poly, and was awarded all Big-West Honors this past season. Here is his profile from Cal Poly's official athletic site:

Morel.jpgNo. 8 Brent Morel

Infielder, R/R, Junior

6-2, 220

Bakersfield, CA (Centennial HS)

2007: Earned All-Big West honorable mention after hitting .333 with 17 doubles, five home runs and 31 RBIs ... missed seven games due to shoulder injury ... home runs against San Diego, Nevada, Rice, Pacific and UC Riverside ... doubled twice in games against Washington and UC Santa Barbara ... 7-for-13 in season-opening San Diego series, 7-for-15 against Fresno State and 6-for-13 in UCSB series ... 20 multiple-hit games and seven multiple-RBI games ... six-game hitting streak ... did not play summer ball.

2006: A .259 hitter with five doubles and four home runs as a true freshman ... collected nine hits in his first seven college games ... was hitting .409 three weeks into season, but went into 9- for-49 slump (.184) before going 3-for-10 against Pacific ... 5-for-8 in UC Riverside series and 4-for-10 in Big West series against UCSB ... 8-for-23 in late-season eight-game stretch to lift average 21 points ... home runs were against San Jose State, UCSB, Washington and UC Riverside ... 11 multiple-hit games, including pair of three-hit games ... started seven games at first, two at second and 28 at short ... was team MVP for Aloha Knights in summer ball, hitting .291 with 20 RBIs.

Prep: A four-year varsity letterman in baseball at Centennial High in Bakersfield ... led Golden Hawks to 26-5 overall mark and 10-0 Southwest Yosemite League record for league title in 2005 and league co-championships in 2003 and 2004 ... also played left field on the varsity as a freshman in 2002, helping Centennial win CIF-Central Section title ... hit .513 with 11 home runs ... earned All-Area and all-league honors ... as a junior hit .471 with seven doubles, five home runs, 24 RBIs and eight steals ... earned team's Golden Glove Award and was first-team all-league ... was first-team all-league as a freshman and sophomore as well ... team MVP as a soph and league rookie of the year as a freshman ... also lettered in varsity football twice, earning all-league honors and team offensive player of the year in 2004 ... also recruited for baseball by Georgia Tech, UCLA, Arizona, USC.

Personal: Son of Rick and Susan Morel ... one sister, Shea ... hobbies include football, ping pong, pool and archery ... member of Campus Crusades ... born April 21, 1987, in Bakersfield, CA ... majors in liberal studies.

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&a...mp;player=15051

Here is a link to an article from the local newspaper about him: http://www.bakersfield.com/136/story/464454.html

"I was a little surprised it came down to them," Morel said. "I like it. It's a great fit for me. I've talked to a couple of scouts with the organization. It's a good organization to move up in. They have a need at third base."

"I'm going to sign for sure," he said. "Hopefully within the next week or so."

Final 2008 Statistics:

AVG  GP-GS    AB   R   H  2B  3B  HR RBI   TB  SLG%  BB HBP  SO GDP   OB%  SF  SH  SB-ATT   PO   A   E  FLD%
   .368  56-56   239  49  88  18   5   8  60  140  .586  15   5  25   3  .414   2   0   7-13    47  89   8  .944

You can find his scouting video here.

My first impression of him is that he looks like a decent hitter but won't hit for too much power. He has some speed, and athletic ability however. He doesn't look like a superstar, but he does look like a solid ball player.

• 4 weeks later...

So far Brent Morel has been Great Falls everyday thirdbaseman. He started off slow, but has recently started to heat up by batting .469 over his last 8 games. His almost end of June stats are:

.362 AVG | 11 G | 47 AB | 11 R | 17 H | 0 HR | 3 RBI | 5 BB | 5 K | 7-7 SB-ATT | .881 OPS

The fact that he is 7 for 7 in stolen base attempts really stands out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

You think with no power and a good glove second base could be an option for this guy, i bet he hasnt played there much but it seems it might work out than we could have a little more power at the hot corner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brent played in the AFL in 2009, taking the place of injured Dayan Viciedo. He definitely got the most of the opportunity, putting up huge numbers, including leading the entire league in hitting. In 16 games:

.435/.456/.565/1.020 over 62 AB

2 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBI

4 BB vs 7 K

He has definitely attracted some attention, and it should be fun to see what he can do in AA in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got done talking to Brent, for whatever it's worth, he thinks he will spend the whole 2010 in AA. He, unlike me, is not too worried about the Teahen trade/signing. Seems like a real cool guy. Said he has heard that Dayan will be moved over to 1B at some point, hopefully making room for him at AAA if he continues to mash like he did in the AFL.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Just got done talking to Brent, for whatever it's worth, he thinks he will spend the whole 2010 in AA. He, unlike me, is not too worried about the Teahen trade/signing. Seems like a real cool guy. Said he has heard that Dayan will be moved over to 1B at some point, hopefully making room for him at AAA if he continues to mash like he did in the AFL.

Tell him I'll see him in April...and May, June, July, August and hopefully September.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 04:27 AM)
They added you? Who the hell are you?!!?! lol.

I am a Soxtalk admin, and an officer of the Facebook Soxtalk group. Plus, we have friends in common with the guys who did their interviews and members of the Chicago media.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 03:27 AM)
They added you? Who the hell are you?!!?! lol.

its FB, I'm fb friends with morel, D1, D2, casey and brian urlacher...not one of them (except casey) would recognize me if I smacked them.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
its FB, I'm fb friends with morel, D1, D2, casey and brian urlacher...not one of them (except casey) would recognize me if I smacked them.

I was assuming he meant that they searched for him and request him to be their friend, which is why i was surprised. If they merely accepted his request, then no big deal.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I am a Soxtalk admin, and an officer of the Facebook Soxtalk group. Plus, we have friends in common with the guys who did their interviews and members of the Chicago media.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

• 3 months later...