New Top 10 prospects needed???

OilCan

Guys and gals, now that the draft is done......what would be the Top 10 prospects for the Pale Hose???

I'm in no way an expert on this, but from what I've been reading on this site, it seems that Beckham, Poreda and Broadway would be your top 3, and a crapshoot after that.

Thx......

Edited by OilCan

Usually, I like to leave newly drafted guys out of top prospect rankings because they are more unknown than the guys currently in the minors. In a normal year I think we've put the first rounder and maybe another draftee in the top prospect rankings on futuresox. This year though....eck. Danks would be there if he signs.

IMO, if all the better picks are signed, next years top 10 will look something like this:

1.) Gordon Beckham

2.) Aaron Poreda

3.) Jordan Danks

4.) Nevin Griffith

5.) Lance Broadway

6.) Brent Morel

7.) John Shelby

8.) Jack Egbert

9.) Daniel Hudson

10.) Andrew O'Niel

Our system is that bad. We could have 5 guys out of the top 10 being draft picks. Especially now with the Wilder thing, where guys are nowhere as good as originally though, or are way older than originally though.

Assuming we sign our first 10 picks, which includes Jordan Danks and Steven Upchurch, I'd say something like:

1. Gordon Beckham

2. Aaron Poreda

3. Jordan Danks

4. John Shelby

5. Lance Broadway

6. Jack Egbert

7. Nevin Griffith

8. Steven Upchurch* (If he doesn't sign, move up the following 2 and add Morel)

9. Dan Hudson

10. Andrew O'Niel

I put the rookies and Nevin Griffith lower because we still don't know what they are all about. However, I put Danks and Beckham higher because we know a lot more about them. If we somehow sign Long, I'd place him at 5.

Edited by BearSox

What are you guys basing these rankings on?

Your opinions of what their ceiling is?

The likelihood of them making it to the majors?

How fast you expect them to make it to the majors?

Their 'star' potential?

What are your ranking guidelines?

Edited by scenario

chris getz deserves to be in the top 10 for sure...his ops is about on par with brian andersons best ops in AAA and anderson was considered our best prospect at that time.....the kid is having a great year...though his road splits worry me...id like to see him hit away from the charlotte bandbox

Edited by daa84

I think some of you guys have Nevin ranked a bit high. I'm very curious to see what he does this season because he wasn't as good as advertised last year (albeit it was his professional debut and he's incredibly young). I assume everyone is not counting Josh Fields in the lists?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
I think some of you guys have Nevin ranked a bit high. I'm very curious to see what he does this season because he wasn't as good as advertised last year (albeit it was his professional debut and he's incredibly young). I assume everyone is not counting Josh Fields in the lists?

Fields and Richar don't count...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)

Agreed on Griffith. He's repeating Bristol, that keeps him out of any top prospect list for me, even in this system. I don't actually want to rank guys because so little is known of these drafted guys, but I would rather see Jose Martinez, Brandon Allen, Anthony Carter, Justin Cassel, or Clayton Richard ahead of a few of these drafted guys for now.

Beckham, Broadway, Poreda, Danks are probably my top 4 in some order.

Shelby, Martinez (hitting .306, power is something I can live without for a 6'5" 19 year old), Carter, Egbert are tier 2. Hard to rank these guys because a hot month would probably switch the order, they are that close in my mind.

Since none of the other draft picks scream top prospect yet, I'm gonna say Getz, Allen, Cassel, and Richard are in the next group.

With the Sox system, it's picking between a bunch of mediocre and marginal prospects so there isn't much to separate them.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
Agreed on Griffith. He's repeating Bristol, that keeps him out of any top prospect list for me, even in this system.

He pitched 8.2 innings with Bristol last year, it's a bit of a reach to say he's repeating.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
He pitched 8.2 innings with Bristol last year, it's a bit of a reach to say he's repeating.

He lost a year of development then. Same thing either way. He's in the same position he was in last year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
He lost a year of development then. Same thing either way. He's in the same position he was in last year.

Goes back to my earlier question...

When somebody ranks the top prospects, what are (should) the critieria be?

For example: If it's potential (ceiling), then Griffith shouldn't have dropped since last year, should he?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 8, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Goes back to my earlier question...

When somebody ranks the top prospects, what are (should) the critieria be?

For example: If it's potential (ceiling), then Griffith shouldn't have dropped since last year, should he?

Clearly you have to take in to account everything. Potential ceiling is one thing, but also likelihood of reaching that ceiling, along with likelihood of simply making the big leagues. A guy who seems to have a 95% chance of being a starting player on a big league team might well have more value than a guy who has a 5% chance of turning in to Johan but a 95% chance of blowing out his arm.