Mike North: He gone!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alot of times i fall asleep listening to dan patrick or todd wright and wake up to mike north....its a horrible start to the day, i often have to roll over and switch to the 6 minutes of sports talk per hour on mike and mike....but listening to mully and hanley sure was nice for a change this morning

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
He was starting to make me use my XM more and more recently with his on air negotiations, but I'll miss him. At least theres still Murph (yeah I think he's good).

Nowhere near as sad as 1000's decision to stop airing Rome, even if it was on a delay. That one still has me reeling

Wow, you have no taste whatsoever.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
The mystery is what the new WSCR lineup will be. I don't think Mully and Hanley can do six hours every day...or can they?

If I were in charge, I'd to Mully and Hanley in the morning (6-10). Find a way to bring back JHood and have him from 10-2 (maybe team him up with someone), dump Murph, B&B 2-6, and do whatever with the evening.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
alot of times i fall asleep listening to dan patrick or todd wright and wake up to mike north....its a horrible start to the day, i often have to roll over and switch to the 6 minutes of sports talk per hour on mike and mike....but listening to mully and hanley sure was nice for a change this morning

I can go back to listening to the Score in the mornings now :) I havet done that since B&B left for mid-days.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Yikes@Hood 10-2.

I loved hood. i still do.

I will admit that some of it probably is because he is such a great person. He had the show right after "the wise guys" when i was interning there. He was a GREAT person and really fun to talk to. I wish there were more people in the radio industry like him. Instead, jerks like Murph get gigs and hood is looking for scraps.

Don't get me wrong, Hood is good I just don't know if a midday 10-2 slot would work. He *does* have some sports knowledge. Thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem like he's being himself. He seems to take on other's personalities. Not having listened much lately, I remember him modeling himself after McNeil not too long ago.

Murph

Edited by ChiSox35

Dan McNeil was talking about moving to mornings on a recent podcast that I heard. Harry said that it couldn't be done at ESPN because Mike & Mike were signed through 2010 or so. Is it possible that McNeil will be moving to the Score? I don't know what his contract situation is, though.

North was great in the afternoons; in the mornings, he flat out sucked, and over the past 3 years, it's gotten progressively worse.

The Score has been in decline for the past couple of years, Boers and Berstein are hit or miss depending on the day and Hubner is awful. Matt Abbatacola, Laurence Holmes and Jason Goff are the only two personalities worth listening to on 670 now, IMO.

Edited by Purdue1906

Dream scenario...

Hub and Murph 6-8 (they were actually a decent tandem in the mornings awhile back)

Mully & Hanley 8-12

Law Holmes 12-2

B&B 2-6

Or, you could get rid of the weird middleness and go with

Mully Hanley 6-10

Law Holmes (and Hubner?) 10-2

B&B

The Murph nuts would get pissed though.

Murphy isn't going anywhere. He appeals to the dumb Cub fan, and there are hundreds of thousands of them in Chicago that will listen to his show. That might be the biggest audience to appeal to in Chicago sports in fact, the dumb Cubs fan. Mully and Hanley are great and i'd love them in the mornings, but i'm not sure how feasible that is full time with their newspaper duties. I'd think Lawrence Holmes is in line to get the open gig, unless they'd want to expand Murph to 4 hours.

Other than being a Cubs fan, he doesn't do too bad a job giving both sides fair coverage. Mully and Hanley are consistantly given praise for sticking to sports topics, but I can't remember the last time I heard Murphy talking anything other than sports (not counting Browns Chicken). Plus, I find his cheese humor and ridiculous voice entertaining.

QUOTE (Purdue1906 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:22 PM)
North was great in the afternoons; in the mornings, he flat out sucked, and over the past 3 years, it's gotten progressively worse.

The Score has been in decline for the past couple of years, Boers and Berstein are hit or miss depending on the day and Hubner is awful. Matt Abbatacola, Laurence Holmes and Jason Goff are the only two personalities worth listening to on 670 now, IMO.

Come on, dont they teach math at Purdue? ;)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
Four words:

"Jay Mariotti Morning Show"

Just read this an hour ago..

Mariotti a natural for radio show

Phil Rosenthal

Media

June 25, 2008

Those taken aback by Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti's criticism of his colleagues and the rest of the local sports and media establishment missed the real revelation of his verbal jousting with John Callaway on WTTW-Ch. 11 the other day.

Mariotti absolutely belongs on local radio.

It wasn't anything particular that he said, although the mental image of a prepubescent, squeaky-voiced Jay arguing with his dad that the hometown Pittsburgh Steelers should stick with then-young and erratic quarterback Terry Bradshaw was entertaining.

Anyone who has ever spent time around Mariotti—and I logged a couple years as one of his fellow Sun-Times sports columnists back in the 1990s—has heard most of his criticisms before. Specifics change, but, as his fans know, his targets and overall complaints rarely do.

It was the passion and absolute certainty with which he expressed himself that should have been a wake-up call to the program director and general manager of every talk or sports radio station in town. His unwavering sense of outrage and righteousness, which might grow wearying day after day online or in print, is thoroughly energizing when broadcast.

Check out the video on WTTW.com. This guy should be venting over the air on a daily basis. On sports, on media, the price of gas, City Hall, the presidential race, the "Sex and the City" movie, the European Union, whatever grinds his gears.

Despite whatever success he has enjoyed in print and on television, radio is Mariotti's most effective medium. He has had gigs before, and for a variety of reasons, they haven't lasted. Pity.

He has an opinion on everything and, as Callaway found out, there isn't a question or subject he can't bat back at a longtime listener, first-time caller. Or a longtime caller, first-time listener, for that matter.

Mariotti writes his column the way Rocky Balboa went at sides of beef and, after 17 years at the Sun-Times, readers pretty much know what his take will be in response to any given occurrence, even if it's not necessarily the same take he has pounded home earlier.

ESPN's "Around the Horn," an exercise in fending off other sportswriters trying to out-Jay Jay, has the feel of oral pro wrestling. It has raised Mariotti's national profile but hardly shown him to best advantage.

The format of a daily radio program demands he not dwell too long on any one subject, and even the most forceful opinion vanishes into the ether almost as soon as it is uttered. It's a far better match. A reasonably deft and confident sidekick would be a plus—not to push his buttons, which tend to come pre-pushed, but to keep things moving along.

A helpful co-host also might prod Mariotti to take calls he doesn't want to take and into confrontations he mostly steers clear of in other media, including with those he has criticized and those with opposing viewpoints. Clearly, the guy can handle himself, no matter what those who would squelch opposing viewpoints in print and shut down online rebuttals to his columns might think.

Mariotti just got a three-year contract extension from the Sun-Times, so he's probably going to be around for some time to come.

If you own a radio station, don't be discouraged by his willingness to rip his co-workers on Channel 11. Whether you hire him or some other outlet does, you run the risk he'll cause you headaches; you might as well profit from them.

FTC says OK: The Federal Trade Commission said Tuesday it found no antitrust objection to Cablevision Systems Corp.'s $650 million deal for control of Newsday, Chicago Tribune parent Tribune Co.'s newspaper on Long Island, N.Y. The transaction, announced last month, will give Cablevision 97 percent of Newsday Media Group.

The last word: "If I were to watch the news that you [have] in the United States, I'd just blow my brains out because it would drive me nuts." — CBS News correspondent Lara Logan, during a visit to "The Daily Show."

Phil Rosenthal's column appears Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. To read recent columns, go to chicago tribune.com/phil.

Mariotti Video

Edited by Controlled Chaos

Marriotti has tried, and failed miserably, twice at sports radio. That column is is not only wrong, but it's ignoring reality. He hasn't "failed for a variety of reasons", he's failed because people didn't listen. People will generally ignore the fact you are a dick and read your column because it's fascinating to see what crazy s*** you'll say in it, but they won't listen to your 3 hour radio show if they don't like you, find you smart, or find you funny. Have to have at least one of those three qualities to survive in sports radio, and Jay doesn't.

Edited by whitesoxfan101