Random Mark Buehrle questions

whitesoxfan101

So, for some reason, I was looking at Mark's baseball cube page just now, and I noticed something strange. Mark only pitched two minor league seasons, and really not even two full seasons. He pitched in 20 games (14 starts) in 1999 for class A Burlington, then 16 games (all starts) for Birmingham in 2000 before being called up to the Sox for good. His minor league numbers were pretty impressive, I will say that.

I guess the point is this, I am asking anybody who remembers Mark coming through the minors what happened? How was this guy only a 38th round pick? And moreso, how could a 38th round pick make it to the majors so fast after only 36 minor league games and 30 starts, nowhere near two full seasons? I know we had a ton of injuries in 2000 which probably played a part, but he seemed like he was put on the fast track from day 1. I remember his first home start too (I was there actually, it was only his 3rd game or something), but I guess I never thought of all this then.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
So, for some reason, I was looking at Mark's baseball cube page just now, and I noticed something strange. Mark only pitched two minor league seasons, and really not even two full seasons. He pitched in 20 games (14 starts) in 1999 for class A Burlington, then 16 games (all starts) for Birmingham in 2000 before being called up to the Sox for good. His minor league numbers were pretty impressive, I will say that.

I guess the point is this, I am asking anybody who remembers Mark coming through the minors what happened? How was this guy only a 38th round pick? And moreso, how could a 38th round pick make it to the majors so fast after only 36 minor league games and 30 starts, nowhere near two full seasons? I know we had a ton of injuries in 2000 which probably played a part, but he seemed like he was put on the fast track from day 1, which is just strange to me.

I do not recall the whole story, but I think he was a late bloomer who caught some attention during his second season in JuCo. There was concern he might go on to a 4 year university so he did not get selected until really late. The Sox were not sure how he would pan out and they held firm on the signing bonus negotiations. I think the JuCo season was still in progress at draft time and Mark continued to impress. That is when they ponied up and gave him the bonus money so he would sign.

Someone else can fill in where I screwed up the facts but I think it went something like that. He had the talent and physical development necessary as long as he was fundamentally sound enough to keep getting promoted.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 12:25 AM)
I believe this was the case.

Looking at his numbers, he absolutely had to have been. Drafted in 98 but was able to make 20 or whatever appearances in A-ball...it wouldn't make sense any other way.

So yeah, it's too bad that the draft-and-follow was eliminated.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 07:19 AM)
It's incredible that a draft-and-follow 38th rounder from 1998 made the majors in 2000.

Makes you wonder where he would have been drafted in 1999.

I'm just glad it worked out the way it did. Buehrle has been a pleasure to watch and root for over the years.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
what do you mean by "draft and follow" ?

Teams used to be able to draft a guy, let him go back to school while they followed his progress. Then they'd sign him just prior to the next year's draft. That is no longer allowed.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
what do you mean by "draft and follow" ?

Up until last year when they changed the rules, teams would draft guys in the later rounds with no intention of signing them right away. They would tell the player that they would like to sign them the following year right before the following year's draft--usually in May. If you go to a 4-year school, you can't come out until after your junior year. So these players would go to community colleges and junior colleges, and play that season and sign in May.

So the new rule is really hurting the JUCO programs.