TCSN: Orioles Interested in Uribe; News on Danks

Chisoxfn

Some reporter on ESPN First Take was on talking about some rumors about the Sox dealing Konerko and that Boston is very interested. Apparently the belief in Boston is that Ortiz will be out for the season. However, for the most part the rumors she was talking about sounded like a bunch of crap. Did indicate that the Sox may be looking to acquire pitching. I really don't think there was any legitimate inside info regarding these rumors though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Some reporter on ESPN First Take was on talking about some rumors about the Sox dealing Konerko and that Boston is very interested. Apparently the belief in Boston is that Ortiz will be out for the season. However, for the most part the rumors she was talking about sounded like a bunch of crap. Did indicate that the Sox may be looking to acquire pitching. I really don't think there was any legitimate inside info regarding these rumors though.

I don't see Konerko approving a trade to any team that doesn't have spring training in Arizona, or that plays east of the Mississippi.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)

Why in the heck would the Sox deal the face of their franchise to a competitive team when they're in first place? That doesn't make any sense.

Neither does dealing the best defensive infielder in the organization for an A-baller or fringe prospect when, again, the Sox are in first place. This isn't exactly the time to be throwing away a good insurance policy for a fringe minor-leaguer.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Why in the heck would the Sox deal the face of their franchise to a competitive team when they're in first place? That doesn't make any sense.

Neither does dealing the best defensive infielder in the organization for an A-baller or fringe prospect when, again, the Sox are in first place. This isn't exactly the time to be throwing away a good insurance policy for a fringe minor-leaguer.

Plz tell me you dont mean Uribe is the best defensive infielder in the organization. :lolhitting

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)

I still say if I were making the move Anderson would be down in the minors. However, if chosing between Ozuna and Uribe, I go with Ozuna as he can provide something off the bench that our regular players can't provide. Uribe doesn't really do that as we won't see him come into the games as a defensive replacement at any of the three key infield positions (not that he isn't good, its just that the guys the Sox have there are very very good as is).

I also am not a big Wise fan, although he's made some solid plays in his short time up with the Sox.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Plz tell me you dont mean Uribe is the best defensive infielder in the organization. :lolhitting

He's certainly the best on the team right now. Not sure about the minors, but no middle infielders down there that come to mind are better either.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)

Out of curiosity whose better? Uribe is probably a notch above OC who would be his only real competition (as SS is the hardest of the three infield positions to play).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
He's certainly the best on the team right now. Not sure about the minors, but no middle infielders down there that come to mind are better either.

Trust me, there isn't a middle infielder in the Sox system right now who even possesses the tools to do what Juan or OC can do defensively. Maybe someone will develop those tools, but as of now, no one could touch Juan (unless someone is saying OC is better and I can respect that as OC does make more routine plays and is obviously a very well respected defensive SS).

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)

Hell, even if he said Uribe was one of the best defensive infielders in the league, it's still pretty hard to argue that's a crazy thing to say.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Hell, even if he said Uribe was one of the best defensive infielders in the league, it's still pretty hard to argue that's a crazy thing to say.

Only ss with a better arm that I can think of is Furcal...

I honestly think Juan is a hell of a lot more important to this team than Ozuna. I understand that he wants to start, and he is in a FA year, and Kenny and Ozzie still have a lot of love for him so would like to send him to a better situation. But we need to be greedy here. He needs to be held onto should an injury occur. What would we do if OC or Alexei went down? I do NOT want Ozuna as their replacement, and I would rather have Juan around rather than a minor league replacement.

Why the rush to deal him?

Didn't Uribe lead all major league shortstops in defensive win-shares last year?

I hate him as a starter, but I love him as a backup.

Not sure why people would want to get rid of him as a backup.

Half the season is over... we've eaten his salary anyway... we're not going to get squat for him in a trade... and he's a plus defender who can play more than 1 infield position well. So what's the point in dealing him?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
I still say if I were making the move Anderson would be down in the minors. However, if chosing between Ozuna and Uribe, I go with Ozuna as he can provide something off the bench that our regular players can't provide. Uribe doesn't really do that as we won't see him come into the games as a defensive replacement at any of the three key infield positions (not that he isn't good, its just that the guys the Sox have there are very very good as is).

I also am not a big Wise fan, although he's made some solid plays in his short time up with the Sox.

I'd rather keep Uribe as an insurance policy, in case O-Cab or Alexei were to go down. Assuming he's healthy, Fields would be the guy to replace Crede if his back acted up again. I don't see Ozuna as an every-day 3B. That said, I can understand why one might want Ozuna's bat and base-stealing over Uribe's offensive "skills."

The decision between BA and Wise is an interesting one. I'd favor BA as a 4th outfielder because of his glove, although he could use more at-bats in the minors. His swing still looks awful at times.

If it were up to me, I'd do what I could to keep Uribe and Ozuna around and remove Wise to make room for Paulie when he returns. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Loaiza is able to return. I would assume that Russell goes back down, but who knows.

Getting back to the Uribe-to-the-Orioles scenario, I think that it would literally take a deal involving Brian Roberts to make it worthwhile. Uribe won't get Kenny anything of value in return, so the Sox have pretty much zero incentive to deal him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)

Just on that, do people consider Konerko to be the face of the franchise, or Buehrle? Because I'd be inclined to go with Mark myself, but that's JMHO.

And some of that I'm basing on how everyone stated last season at this point how important it was to re-sign Mark Buehrle. And I mean re-signing Konerko when he was a FA after 2005 was important too. But there wasn't the same uproar IIRC, if he was going to leave for say Baltimore or Anaheim.

not only am i starting to want Uribe here, but i'd like his role expanded .... to backing up 3B

I am not a fan of Pablo being counted on for defense. If anything, I wouldnt mind moving Pablo for a speed guy (I dont believe in keeping around Wise&Anderson). Unless it's determined that Uribe cannot handle 3B.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Just on that, do people consider Konerko to be the face of the franchise, or Buehrle? Because I'd be inclined to go with Mark myself, but that's JMHO.

Isn't Paulie technically supposed to be the captain? Both are pretty much de facto equal faces of the franchise, IMO.

Given's Paulie's status in the organization and with the fans, it's pretty much inconceivable that he'd be dealt (especially to an AL contender) while the Sox are in first place. Even if he's injured and hitting like crap, that would be a massively bad PR move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't see Konerko approving a trade to any team that doesn't have spring training in Arizona, or that plays east of the Mississippi.

Didn't he grow up in Rhode Island or something?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
I'd rather keep Uribe as an insurance policy, in case O-Cab or Alexei were to go down. Assuming he's healthy, Fields would be the guy to replace Crede if his back acted up again. I don't see Ozuna as an every-day 3B. That said, I can understand why one might want Ozuna's bat and base-stealing over Uribe's offensive "skills."

The decision between BA and Wise is an interesting one. I'd favor BA as a 4th outfielder because of his glove, although he could use more at-bats in the minors. His swing still looks awful at times.

If it were up to me, I'd do what I could to keep Uribe and Ozuna around and remove Wise to make room for Paulie when he returns. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Loaiza is able to return. I would assume that Russell goes back down, but who knows.

Getting back to the Uribe-to-the-Orioles scenario, I think that it would literally take a deal involving Brian Roberts to make it worthwhile. Uribe won't get Kenny anything of value in return, so the Sox have pretty much zero incentive to deal him.

There is no guaratnee that Loaiza will return, but if he does he would clearly be replacing Russell (unless someone else got hurt). He still has to get his velocity increased, although I have heard that he's improved a bit over his past couple appearances (although the numbers wouldn't necessarily indicate such).

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)

And some of that I'm basing on how everyone stated last season at this point how important it was to re-sign Mark Buehrle. And I mean re-signing Konerko when he was a FA after 2005 was important too. But there wasn't the same uproar IIRC, if he was going to leave for say Baltimore or Anaheim.

This season I consider Dye and Quentin the faces of the franchise :)

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Isn't Paulie technically supposed to be the captain? Both are pretty much de facto equal faces of the franchise, IMO.

Given's Paulie's status in the organization and with the fans, it's pretty much inconceivable that he'd be dealt (especially to an AL contender) while the Sox are in first place. Even if he's injured and hitting like crap, that would be a massively bad PR move.

I agree, there is absolutely no way that the Sox are going to cut a deal with a team contending for the World Series with them unless they felt they were completely robbing the Red Sox (and Epstein isn't some idiot). Which is why I found the entire report regarding the Sox as being pure fluff coming from ESPN.

Not including this year where uribe has played almost half as many games as OC at a less challenging position of 2b (Not by much but it is), two out of the last three years OC had a better fielding percentage, fewer errors, and turned more DP's. Some other people have to agree with me because last year Uribe was the starting ss for the sox and cabrera was for the Angels, and Orlando Cabrera won the gold glove at short for the AL last year..not Uribe.