Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I don't like seeing the 'hawks constantly battling back from being down, I have to say it's amazing to see this team mature in front of our eyes. Toews has ice in his veins...Sharpie is back with that sick move and I just loooooove that Havlat is scrapping.

The one thing that I noticed was the beatdown the 'hawks were getting in the first period of both games. But, by the middle of the second period, Big Buff, Eager, Burish and even Ladd were taking some runs at Flames players. Basically saying, I know you're bigger, but we aren't backing down. And the fact that Havlat would shove Phaneuf...awesome. If the Ducks can somehow knock out the Sharks...I think we have a chance of getting to the Finals.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Although I don't like seeing the 'hawks constantly battling back from being down, I have to say it's amazing to see this team mature in front of our eyes. Toews has ice in his veins...Sharpie is back with that sick move and I just loooooove that Havlat is scrapping.

The one thing that I noticed was the beatdown the 'hawks were getting in the first period of both games. But, by the middle of the second period, Big Buff, Eager, Burish and even Ladd were taking some runs at Flames players. Basically saying, I know you're bigger, but we aren't backing down. And the fact that Havlat would shove Phaneuf...awesome. If the Ducks can somehow knock out the Sharks...I think we have a chance of getting to the Finals.

I will say this hear and now... We are not ready to beat Detroit or San Jose in a seven game series right now. Maybe in a couple of years, but these guys aren't quite there yet. They have got to figure out how to play sixty minutes in order to beat that top tier of teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
I will say this hear and now... We are not ready to beat Detroit or San Jose in a seven game series right now. Maybe in a couple of years, but these guys aren't quite there yet. They have got to figure out how to play sixty minutes in order to beat that top tier of teams.

I agree with you on the Sharks. I disagree on the Wings. I think those last two games, as meaningless as they were for the Wings, gave the 'hawks a lot of confidence. By the time they would meet them, they should be over this inconsistency (I hope).

But these 'hawks do remind me of the Bulls before Phil Jackson. They are missing one piece that could get them over the hump.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I agree with you on the Sharks. I disagree on the Wings. I think those last two games, as meaningless as they were for the Wings, gave the 'hawks a lot of confidence. By the time they would meet them, they should be over this inconsistency (I hope).

But these 'hawks do remind me of the Bulls before Phil Jackson. They are missing one piece that could get them over the hump.

I don't think confidence is a problem for this Hawks team.

The problem is they do not stay fully intense for 60 minutes a night. It has been their biggest problem all year long. You have seen it already in this Calgary series. Most nights they have been able to use their skill advantage to skate around teams and beat them. In the playoffs where all of that open ice disappears, you can't get away with that, especially for a Red Wings type team that has just as much skill as the Hawks do, if not more, and play a full 60 minutes. Don't get me wrong, this is the best Hawks team that we have had for about a generation now, but they still have that last step to make before you can put them in the top few teams in hockey, IMO.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)

I feel the exact opposite, I do not think we stand much of a chance at all vs the Red Wings, but against the Sharks I can see the Hawks being able to upset them. That being said, for now, still have a series to win.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Kane has been getting pretty roughed up in the 1st 2 games. Maybe a game off will do him some good. He just doesn't seem Physical enough for the Playoffs. Also I think it's time for someone to kick Rene Borque's Azz :chair

agree. sitting out with the flu seems soft to me

I would have to think Kane being out it would be more than the flu at this point in the year. I think its more a concussion than anything else. He was getting abused in game 2. Of course they never tell the real reason during the playoffs to a player being out.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Hawks are going to be in trouble at this rate... Flames are pounding the Hawks with some big physical play.

I know the Hawks don't want to take a dumb retaliation penalty, but they can't keep turning the other cheek.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
So why dont they review that high stick? He's obviously bleeding because of it and it should be a double minor. They reviewed the one earlier in the season that f***ed us on a goal (Kane did it, forget who it was against).

You can't review it.

If a linesman saw it, they can confer with the referees and then a double minor or major can be called. In this case a double minor.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
You can't review it.

If a linesman saw it, they can confer with the referees and then a double minor or major can be called. In this case a double minor.

Gotcha. Gracias. Oh well, still got a period to go.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
I forgot. He is doing exactly what he is paid to do....

And Burish with some real chicken s*** at the end of the game. Ugh.

Yup, fitting right in as mr. invisible. s***ty in the defensive zone, not creating anything offensively, and 'qbing' the SECOND pp unit, as cam barker is deservedly running the blue line on the first unit.

f***ing waste. Not the first time he's done this in the playoffs, either.