• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm getting the feeling that certain parts of the GOP are trying to start another civil war.

Its the South. Some people there don't think the first one ever ended. And its the "War of Northern Aggression".

Anyway, this is not "certain parts of the GOP", these are a few fringe lunatics. They exist in both parties.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Its the South. Some people there don't think the first one ever ended. And its the "War of Northern Aggression".

Anyway, this is not "certain parts of the GOP", these are a few fringe lunatics. They exist in both parties.

That quote was from a member of Congress.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
That quote was from a member of Congress.

And the Daily Show featured multiple others last night saying basically the same thing, including the current VP candidate.

Stewart's response was "Fish you".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I assumed you were referring to the black-and-white comment, since you were talking Civil War.

No. There's a theme now with that nut case from Minnesota and now this guy. And then there's Palin's comments about pro-American parts of the country. WTF is going on with these people?? It's getting scary.

I think at this point in time people in the North would just tell those in the South "good luck." With there being no slavery issue, I could really care less if people in the South wanted to secede and create a nation that better fit in with their ideals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

They also would learn that unfortunately the North pays more per capita and more total in taxes, which would mean that for all their "dont spread the wealth" they have failed to realize that the current tax system has been spreading the wealth from the richer Democratic areas, to the poorer Republican ones. Of the top 18 per capita states, only Arkansas and Texas would be former confederacy, although Nebraska didnt have a choice. :)

But those type of things dont get much press in our current Conservative media.

I mean how many times do you hear that people in the state of Illinois pay almost 3x as much per capita as some one in Mississippi in federal taxes.

(We can all play the media bias game.)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
No. There's a theme now with that nut case from Minnesota and now this guy. And then there's Palin's comments about pro-American parts of the country. WTF is going on with these people?? It's getting scary.

I agree with you that the GOP and McCain/Palin have run a far worse campaign, dirt and slime wise, than Obama and the Dems have. I see it as being a product of a number of things, but there are three primary ones, IMO:

1. Desperation. They are about to lose.

2. The GOP marketing team, starting about 10 years ago and ramping up after 9/11, made a decision to exploit fear in order to gain electoral ground.

3. The GOP faithful have seen their party take hold of power in a big way, and basically squander it, accomplishing very little. They are frustrated.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
So what I gather from your post is you hate women who are with politicians?

Yo, Steve. Was this meant as a joke?

(About politicos' wives, I mean).

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
I agree with you that the GOP and McCain/Palin have run a far worse campaign, dirt and slime wise, than Obama and the Dems have. I see it as being a product of a number of things, but there are three primary ones, IMO:

1. Desperation. They are about to lose.

2. The GOP marketing team, starting about 10 years ago and ramping up after 9/11, made a decision to exploit fear in order to gain electoral ground.

3. The GOP faithful have seen their party take hold of power in a big way, and basically squander it, accomplishing very little. They are frustrated.

But this attempt to angrily divide our country could really do some damage. The economy is in shambles and it won't take a whole lot to provoke some people into doing some bad things.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)

McCarthyism for 2008.

Another un-American traitor! Off with her head!!

The first Republican woman State Senator in Wisconsin history announced on Tuesday that she would be supporting Barack Obama, in part because of the negative tone of the McCain-Palin campaign and, specifically, the use of "dishonorable" anti-Obama robocalls.

"All of us should be extremely wary of the half truths and outright untruths that have been spread by the recent negative campaigning and shameful automated phone calls," said Barbara Lorman of Fort Atkinson. "While my admiration for Senator Obama has grown with his positive approach to addressing the challenges facing our nation, my disappointment with the McCain campaigned has deepened. The negative tactics are inappropriate, downright dishonorable and have no place in the State of Wisconsin."

In issuing her statement, Lorman became the latest in a growing line of GOP officials who have publicly denounced the recent tone and tactics of the McCain camp. In recent days, Sens. Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe and Norm Coleman, as well as former Secretary of State Colin Powell, have all been highly critical of the Arizona Republican's efforts to tie Barack Obama to former Weather Underground member Bill Ayers. Lorman is not, obviously, of the same national stature as these other officials. But her place in Wisconsin politics makes her an influential voice in an important swing state.

The fact that she is a lifelong Republican -- she left the Senate in 1994 and, until recently, was the longest woman serving senator in Wisconsin history -- now crossing party lines is also of interest.

"I'm a lifelong Republican, but Senator Obama is the right leader for our country and will deliver the change we need," Lorman said in a statement released by the state's Democratic Party. "After taking a careful look at the qualities of both McCain and Obama and who would be best for our country, I found that Senator Obama's ability to bridge the partisan divide to work toward solid solutions that will get our nation back on the right track meant he is the right choice this November."

The reason why McCain's running this campaign is because McCain and the Christian Coalition do not get a long that well.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...751C0A9669C8B63

Thats from 2000 when McCain was running against W. In that campaign McCain was attacked by social conservatives because he did not fit their ideology like W.

Now in 2008, McCain needs to the conservative ideology to win, so his campaign has taken on the tone of those who preceded him in that regard.

This campaign is just the fruits of the fact that the Republican party has 2 distinct ideas of what their party should be about. You have social conservatives and fiscal conservatives, and they are trying to live under the same house.

Whereas in this election Democrats are united in an effort to win the Presidency.

The pick of Palin by McCain was to appease the social conservatives, the problem is that many independents are termed as "social liberals and fiscal conservatives" so when given the choice between social liberal fiscal liberal or social conservative fiscal conservative, they are choosing the former as opposed to the latter.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
Grant Park has been confirmed for November 4th. Details to come in the next few days.

I'd consider going, but only if they had CNN or MSNBC on a big screen TV. I love watching the drama as results come in. I'm not sure it would be as fun in a park filled with people just chatting.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I'd consider going, but only if they had CNN or MSNBC on a big screen TV. I love watching the drama as results come in. I'm not sure it would be as fun in a park filled with people just chatting.

I guarantee they will have screens. I went to the Super Tuesday Obama event and they had large projection screens with the audio on.

And for a die hard like yourself I'm surprised you're unsure whether you'd want to be there to see your guy potentially win it all in front of tens of thousands of screaming fans. That would be like turning down tickets to game 163 vs the Twins so that you could stay home and listen to Harold Reynolds.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)

I'm sure they'll have wireless set up. It's the Obama campaign right?

Anyway....the moment the first 04 Red State comes up called blue...hopefully VA or NC or just all of them, the crowd explosion will be enough.

QUOTE (HawkDJ @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Just voted for Barack here in NC. I can't be sure if we can turn this state blue or not, but I can say that students here at UNC (a very liberal campus) will be turning out in huge numbers this year.

:headbang