• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about a new thread on this, but decided not to. Mods, fell free to break this into a new thread if you feel necessary.

NYT To Publish Explosive Story On McCain Camp Angst (bits and pieces below)

The New York Times Magazine is set to publish an explosive story this Sunday on the inner workings and combative personalities of what has been a wild few months for the McCain campaign.

The piece, written by Robert Draper and titled "The Making (and Remaking and Remaking) of the Candidate," breaks some new reportorial ground, including a growing weariness within a campaign that seems more interested in tactical victories and the next compelling narratives than an overarching strategy. Draper writes:

"By October, the succession of backfiring narratives would compel some to reappraise not only McCain's chances but also the decisions made by [Chief Strategist Steve] Schmidt, who only a short time ago was hailed as the savior who brought discipline and unrepentant toughness to a listing campaign."

Draper details the process by which McCain ultimately chose his running mate (New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg was surprisingly high on the list). And the decision may have been even more impulsive than initially thought. Gov. Sarah Palin, who had never been on the VP shortlist, was advanced at the last minute by Schmidt and Rick Davis, and was picked after a less-than-hour-long chat in with McCain at his ranch in Arizona.

There are additional, juicy nuggets that he uncovers earlier and along the way. These include the birth of the Obama-as-celebrity attack line -- the campaign felt it was on the wrong track, its pollster described their situation as "third and nine," and Schmidt "blurted out the epiphany concerning Obama. 'Face it, gentlemen,' he said. 'He's being treated like a celebrity.'"

"Despite their leeriness of being quoted," Draper writes, "McCain's senior advisers remained palpably confident of victory -- at least until very recently."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I thought about a new thread on this, but decided not to. Mods, fell free to break this into a new thread if you feel necessary.

If by combativeness, they simply mean that there were a lot of differing views among the leadership, then that is not a bad thing.

If by combativeness, they mean continuous deadlocks, incoherent direction of action, and flailing decisions (as described with Palin)m then that IS a bad thing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
If by combativeness, they simply mean that there were a lot of differing views among the leadership, then that is not a bad thing.

If by combativeness, they mean continuous deadlocks, incoherent direction of action, and flailing decisions (as described with Palin)m then that IS a bad thing.

Which of those 2 sentences more accurately reflects the public behavior of the campaign the last few months?

Anyway...you may not like it if you're a Republican, and you won't believe it because it's the NYT...but "Rats fleeing a sinking ship" is what this article says to me. We've been seeing the beginnings of it for weeks with the occasional article with a "McCain insider" complaining about the strategy. No one wants to be the one who goes down with the ship.

That's a pretty gross oversimplification of how to address terrorism, I guess it works since it's targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Why'd they put that quote about not having our politics driven by fear of terrorism? What, they disagree? Then that means they DO want our politics to be driven by fear of terrorism? Sounds like a plan.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)

Yah, probably not worth a new thread. Sounds pretty ordinary for a campaign that's a ways behind.

With just two weeks to go, and presidential candidate Sen. John McCain facing a multi-front battle that has threatened GOP strength in some traditionally red states like Nevada, Palin showed up to rouse troops in the Silver State, where early voting has already begun.

Have you read her book?" said Cornelia Wallace, a retired nurse in her 60's, holding up a copy of Palin's tome as she waited for her to take the stage inside the Henderson arena. "I just identify with her. She's brought new life to me. I feel 10 years younger since she got in ... and I've got kids her age.'

Esther Castleberry, 60, from Boulder City, who said she was "Esther the housewife," nodded in agreement, waving a "You Go, Girl" sign. "She's a genuine person. There's nothing phony about her," she said. "She has a positive attitude."

Her husband, Charles, 64 - ''Charles the retired physician" - said Palin's addition to the GOP ticket had helped to make this "the most inspiring time in my life." He said he already liked McCain, a military man, but now "I'm so gung-ho ... she's outstanding. If I held her hand, I'd probably pass out."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...p;type=politics

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Why is Joe Biden such a f***ing doofus? Seriously he might want to invest in some notecards or something.

What he do?

My dad told me that Maher went on a profanity laced tirade against Palin. Can't find a video.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
What he do?

Another verbal gaffe, but not the kind that the Republicans are flipping out about and whining that he isn't being treated like Palin because he said there were 3 letters in J-O-B-S instead of 4, kinds that actually matter. Basically he went out of his way to say that Obama would be "tested" in the first few months of his presidency (something that also applies to McCain, and DEFINITELY would hypothetically apply to Palin btw but he didn't say all that). He was trying to play up the way Obama responded to the bailout fiasco but it didn't come out that way. Instead he just threw a Boone Logan fastball right down the pipe.

Edited by lostfan

Hamas endorsed Obama... now Al-Qaida endorses McCain

Al-Qaida supporters suggested in a Web site message this week they would welcome a pre-election terror attack on the U.S. as a way to usher in a McCain presidency.

The message, posted Monday on the password-protected al-Hesbah Web site, said if al-Qaida wants to exhaust the United States militarily and economically, "impetuous" Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain is the better choice because he is more likely to continue the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"This requires presence of an impetuous American leader such as McCain, who pledged to continue the war till the last American soldier," the message said. "Then, al-Qaida will have to support McCain in the coming elections so that he continues the failing march of his predecessor, Bush."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 06:47 AM)

Oh, man. This might meant Gov. Palin's new clothes will have to come from Kohl's instead of Saks.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...wait-until.html

ps. Hope she knows that the $150,000 wardrobe is taxable!

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
Oh, man. This might meant Gov. Palin's new clothes will have to come from Kohl's instead of Saks.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...wait-until.html

ps. Hope she knows that the $150,000 wardrobe is taxable!

here's the problem, it might violate McCain-Feingold

SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.

(a) PERMITTED USES- ...

(b ) PROHIBITED USE-

(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.

(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;

( B ) a clothing purcha
s
e;

( C ) a noncampaign-related automobile expen
s
e;

(D) a country club member
s
hip;

(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;

(F) a hou
s
ehold food item;

(G) a tuition payment;

(H) admi
s
s
ion to a
s
porting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not a
s
s
ociated with an election campaign; and

(I) due
s
, fee
s
, and other payment
s
to a health club or recreational facility.'

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
Maybe I'm missing something but what's so tasteless about it? Just seemed like a random shot on a message board to me.

Would someone make such a crude sexual joke about a male candidate?

It's the same as the age jokes about McCain. There are so many other options. Why go for that one?

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)

It's the same as the age jokes about McCain. There are so many other options. Why go for that one?

HOw many times are there threads about "hot chicks" or a "hot chick contest" or someone says "damn. I'd do her"?

A LOT. I make a comment about Palin and "OMG! HOW SEXIST!"

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)

Actually I only just got it, I couldn't figure it out until just now. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
HOw many times are there threads about "hot chicks" or a "hot chick contest" or someone says "damn. I'd do her"?

A LOT. I make a comment about Palin and "OMG! HOW SEXIST!"

I don't read those threads. I read this one. And yeah, it's sexist. I don't like the woman. I think she's dangerous, unqualified, and, well, you all know. But I can't stand sexist jokes about her. There are plenty of other jokes to be made.

Now if it was a sophisticated joke about the Republican party about how they nominated a totally unqualified candidate, and suddenly awoke to their "nakedness" in her nomination, then, yeah, I would laugh.