The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
Bloomberg has offered $250,000 in matching donations for Planned Parenthood.

Donate here

The Komen foundation will also stop funding any cancer related research tht involves embryonic stem cell research. This of course has nothing to do with politics and is entirely because embryos are facing federal investigation.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Their attempted backpedaling is hilarious.

I will be intentionally avoiding any and all products and promotions they're associated with and have let them know.

I've been iffy on them for a while since thy started suing any other charity using the phrase "for the cure", but I didn't explicitly avoid products that partnered with them because of it. But hey, they want to play rough, I can skip the pink yoplait lid.

Actually, they didn't fully reverse course.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-l...tS9mQ_blog.html

As some were quick to point out, the statement put out by Komen doesn’t really clarify whether Planned Parenthood will actually continue to get money from the group. The original rationale for barring Planned Parenthood was that it was under investigation (a witch-hunt probe undertaken by GOP Rep Cliff Stearns). Komen said today that the group would “amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political.”

Does that mean Planned Parenthood will get Komen grants in the future?

I asked Komen board member John Raffaelli to respond to those who are now saying that the announcement doesn’t necessarily constitute a reversal until Planned Parenthood actually sees more funding. He insisted it would be unfair to expect the group to commit to future grants.

“It would be highly unfair to ask us to commit to any organization that doesn’t go through a grant process that shows that the money we raise is used to carry out our mission,” Raffaelli told me. “We’re a humaniatrian organization. We have a mission. Tell me you can help carry out our mission and we will sit down at the table.”

Call me skeptical til they start awarding Planned Parenthood grants.

I think the real story with this organization is about how awful of a charity this really is. 20 cents on the dollar goes to breast cancer research, and another 15 cents goes to cancer screening efforts. If they really cared about finding a cure, you'd think they'd give more to research than they spend on overhead.

But instead, the bulk of their money is on public awareness about breast cancer. So that companies can do things like sell a Susan G Komen Breast Cancer awareness handgun.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/02/03/gun...l-pink-handgun/

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)

I think the real story with this organization is about how awful of a charity this really is. 20 cents on the dollar goes to breast cancer research, and another 15 cents goes to cancer screening efforts. If they really cared about finding a cure, you'd think they'd give more to research than they spend on overhead.

But instead, the bulk of their money is on public awareness about breast cancer. So that companies can do things like sell a Susan G Komen Breast Cancer awareness handgun.

I applaud your post.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

I'm less familiar with breast cancer charities, but I'll research some better ones and post it here. My favorite charity is charitywater, who will not only take videos once a month of recent wells they've completed, but will also give you a receipt detailing how much money of yours is going to the project, overhead, etc. Great charity! But i'll look into any breast cancer ones that are more transparent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
I've been iffy on them for a while since thy started suing any other charity using the phrase "for the cure", but I didn't explicitly avoid products that partnered with them because of it. But hey, they want to play rough, I can skip the pink yoplait lid.

i never thought of them as a legit charity.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
i never thought of them as a legit charity.

They definitely contribute a smaller fraction of their contributions to actual research and treatment than other cancer charities. Very high overhead, well paid staff.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Mentally, I give Armstrong a pass about lying to us all these years because of all the good he seemingly has done for the world. It's like he has a hall pass in my head.

I give Armstrong a pass because I don't think using steroids is cheating anymore than the hundreds of other legal things that athletes do to condition their bodies. But that's just me. :)

Political Sci. Professor from Georgia:

Our findings here echo those discussed in a prior post that Republicans have moved further to the right than Democrats to the left in the contemporary period. Indeed, as seen below, President Obama is the most moderate Democratic president since the end of World War II, while President George W. Bush was the most conservative president in the post-war era.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Obama is leading Romney by 7% in two of the latest polls

Way too early to take anything from various polls. The relevant data right now is that the economy is somewhat improving and that is improving the President's current hypothetical chances. But there's still 9 months (H. Christ) of conventions, ads, SuperPAC's, possible wars with Iran, and based on current trends, 3 Greek bailout crises before we get to that point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Way too early to take anything from various polls. The relevant data right now is that the economy is somewhat improving and that is improving the President's current hypothetical chances. But there's still 9 months (H. Christ) of conventions, ads, SuperPAC's, possible wars with Iran, and based on current trends, 3 Greek bailout crises before we get to that point.

Also, in the electoral college world, national polls are nearly irrelevant in any case. What matters are the polls in OH, PA, FL, IA, CO, NM, NV, OR, and maybe VA and NC.

Borrowed from http://www.dailykos.com. It seems the road to the superbowl is paved with gay marriage.

Gay marriages began in Massachusetts on May 17, 2004. The New England Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl in a massive 24-21 blowout over Philadelphia.

Gay marriages began in New York on July 24, 2011. The New York Giants went on to win the Super Bowl in a massive 21-17 blowout over New England.

Gay marriages began in California on June 16, 2008, but Proposition 8 stopped them on November 5. No California teams went to the Super Bowl that year. When marriages can be performed there again (an appeals court decision on Prop. 8 is due today but it's likely headed to the Supreme Court), Oakland, San Francisco or San Diego will win the Super Bowl. In a blowout.