The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
So basically you've accepted my premise that the only way to fix the system is to make health care public. Yay. :lolhitting

Don't play dumb Balta, it doesn't suit you. I stated in great detail what I'd do, in this forum, and I am sure you read it. Making health care entirely public is not a viable solution.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
it's also not a secret that the 60 vote supermajority required for everything passing the Senate is also a new development over the last 10 years or so, and especially the last 3.

That's laughable, Mr. Cloture on court appointees (which is EXPLICITLY not constutitional unlike cloture on other issues, not that I agree with it being used for EITHER party).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
That's laughable, Mr. Cloture on court appointees (which is EXPLICITLY not constutitional unlike cloture on other issues, not that I agree with it being used for EITHER party).

In 1949, a change to Senate rules allowed members to filibuster executive branch nominees. Senators tend to believe (or at least to say) that, within bounds of decency, the White House deserves to be able to staff the executive branch as it chooses; and in the 60 years since then, the practice has been used sparingly.

Until Barack Obama came to town.

"Between 1949 and 2009 there were 24 nominees on which cloture was forced," Baker said. "In just the first 9 months of the Obama administration, there have been five such votes."

During the George W. Bush administration, Baker notes, there were seven such votes.

It's probably also worth noting that there were more cloture votes on Judges during the Clinton years than during the Bush years.

If the Filibuster is treated like it was in the 60's, where you actually had to do something to hold up a bill, then it'd be far more interesting. It's the fact that it can now be applied without doing anything that totally shakes up the system.

out of curiosity does kap realize how many DOJ and Obama appointees STILL have holds on them with no verbal objections?

I think it's no secret the Dems have been unable to hold their caucus, but that's what happens when you allow conservatives into your party, but it's better to have kay hagans/lincolns/nelsons than the opposite who most certainly would just be threatening filibuster. They have the ability to be whipped, but they clearly wanted a conservative bill.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I think it's no secret the Dems have been unable to hold their caucus, but that's what happens when you allow conservatives into your party, but it's better to have kay hagans/lincolns/nelsons than the opposite who most certainly would just be threatening filibuster. They have the ability to be whipped, but they clearly wanted a conservative bill.

Larger parties tend not to be super rigid ideologically. It's what makes them a larger party.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
out of curiosity does kap realize how many DOJ and Obama appointees STILL have holds on them with no verbal objections?

Yes, and that's their choice. All their focus is screwing us up the ass with their "health care plan" right now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
lol it's whose choice?

The Dems. They can do whatever they want. But they aren't. Man, if "conservatives" and "moderates" are so wrong with everything they think, why don't they just do what they want to do???

You get the point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
you understand how our gov't works so well don't you?

No, I'm obviously a f***ing ignoramous tool. I'm obviously dumber then your hangnail on your pinky finger. Please. I realize that you're obviously smarter then me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
It's probably also worth noting that there were more cloture votes on Judges during the Clinton years than during the Bush years.

If the Filibuster is treated like it was in the 60's, where you actually had to do something to hold up a bill, then it'd be far more interesting. It's the fact that it can now be applied without doing anything that totally shakes up the system.

Ask Estrada how his cloture vote turned out? Oh wait..he didn't get a cloture vote. God forbid the first Supreme Court Hispanic be a Republican pick. Ask Durbin he was the point man on this injustice.

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Ask Estrada how his cloture vote turned out? Oh wait..he didn't get a cloture vote. God forbid the first Supreme Court Hispanic be a Republican pick. Ask Durbin he was the point man on this injustice.

I thought affirmative action was a bad thing and that we were supposed to live in a racially-blind world?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
maybe the President needs to remind Mr. Lieberman that he kept him from being kicked out of the Democratic caucus and losing his Chairmanship. Maybe that decision needs to be re-visited for Traitor Joe.

Lol. Yup room for everyone under the Democratic umbrella...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
Lol. Yup room for everyone under the Democratic umbrella...

Yeah the guy totally deserves preferential treatment after going to the RNC convention and talking trash about the Democratic nominee while talking up the GOP candidate and the grossly incompetent VP pick.