The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

McCain on the dream act... for it... then against it... now for it.

Depends on who he is talking to:

John McCain spoke at the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) Annual Conference this afternoon in San Diego. In the Q&A session following his prepared remarks, a young woman from the group One Dream 2009, asked John McCain, if he were president, to support the DREAM Act next year. McCain answered he would.

But that is not what John McCain told right-wing bloggers on an October 25, 2007 conference call. McCain emphasized that he has "said it a thousand times" that he "got the message" on immigration. However, don't take my word for it, ask conservative blogger Paul Mirengoff.

A
s
for the Dream Act, McCain told u
s
that he would have voted again
s
t cloture (i.e., in favor of preventing a vote) becau
s
e he "got the me
s
s
age" thi
s
s
ummer that American
s
want the border
s
ecured before we "go on to the re
s
t." McCain would deem part
s
of the border
s
ecure when the governor of the relevant
s
tate
s
o certifie
s

Since McCain is clearly on record as to how he would have voted on the Dream Act cloutre motion, and since his vote was not needed to prevent cloture, there seems to be no basis for criticizing his departure for Iowa prior to the vote.

How about the National Review's Jim Geraghty?

On the vote on the DREAM Act ye
s
terday: I would have voted again
s
t it I have
s
aid a thou
s
and time
s
, I have heard the me
s
s
age from the American people. They want the border
s
ecured fir
s
t and then they want
well, at lea
s
t I want to go on to comprehen
s
ive reform.

We released this video showing the two sides of John McCain on the DREAM Act. More proof that John McCain's willingness to pander knows no bounds. He will say anything to anyone to get their support.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This trend of condescending e-mails by the McCain campaign is a bit disturbing.

McCain Camp Hits Obama Over Iranian President's Scheduled Visit To New York

the McCain campaign is quickly moving to use the scheduled visit of Ahmadinejad to disparage Obama's support for negotiating with hostile foreign leaders. McCain campaign Internet guru Patrick Hynes emails over this: "Perhaps he and Senator Obama can finally have that heart to heart."

It's one thing to say he's wrong. It's another to mock him and use condescending tone.

McCain Defends Czechoslovakia, A Non-Existent Country -- Again

McCain made the same mistake again today during a town hall meeting in New Mexico.

At a press availability today, John McCain expressed concern about relations between Russia and a country that hasn't existed for quite some time. According to a rough pool report transcript, he said:

"I was concerned about a couple of steps that the Russian government took in the last several days. One was reducing the energy supplies to Czechoslovakia. Apparently that is in reaction to the Czech's agreement with us concerning missile defense, and again some of the Russian now announcement they are now retargeting new targets, something they abandoned at the end of the Cold War, is also a concern."

Czechoslovakia, of course, split into two separate countries in 1993.

It isn't the first time McCain has made this mistake.

Czechoslovakia... Sunni-shiite.

That man's strong on foreign policy.

Revenge of the pause:

The ad, as Planned Parenthood spokesman Tait Sye confirms to First Read, will run in the battlegrounds of Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, New Mexico, Ohio, Wisconsin, and DC -- airing on Bravo's Project Runway on Bravo, Lifetime's Army Wives, and Oprah. Sye wouldn't reveal the size of the buy, but said it was "smart" and "cost effective."

I, for one, find ape rape hysterical.

Flashback: McCain joked about how much women love to be raped by an ape

The blog Rum, Romanism and Rebellion pulls out a 1986 Tucson Citizen article recounting a joke about rape told by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). Speaking to the National League of Cities and Towns in Washington, DC, McCain allegedly said:

Did you hear the one about the woman who is attacked on the street by a gorilla, beaten senseless, raped repeatedly and left to die? When she finally regains consciousness and tries to speak, her doctor leans over to hear her sigh contently and to feebly ask, “Where is that marvelous ape?”

So what exactly is the point of referencing every single mistake McCain's ever made? No one is perfect, especially when you have cameras and microphones on you 24/7. This thread seems to have less discussion of policies and more on "oh my! what a moron that guy is! He mispoke! *giggle giggle*"

Obama Campaign Opens 20 New Field Offices In Virginia

The Obama campaign plans to open 20 new field offices in the state -- and at least five of them are in very red areas where Dems have traditionally feared to tread, Obama's Virginia director of communications, Kevin Griffis, tells me.

The Obama team is setting up shop in Winchester and Bristol, both of which are in areas that voted for Bush in 2004 by at least 25 points. Camp Obama is also adding an office in Harrisonburg, which went for Bush by 13 and is in the reliably-red Shenandoah Valley.

There will also be a new office in Castlewood, which is in the coalfields near West Virginia and Kentucky and went for Bush by eight, and in Martinsville, whose surrounding county went for Bush by 13 points.

Obama's Virginia campaign director, Mitch Stewart, says he's hoping to turn the network of field offices into the foundation of an all-out bottom-up effort in the state. "The new offices represent the frame upon which our neighbor-to-neighbor, grassroots campaign will be built," Stewart says.

I dont know what type of election day coverage we plan on doing here (i think he'd be cool if we did some kind of live webcast, but that's just me), but when we have a thread on election day, I want you all to place CLOSE attention to Virginia. It could be a map changer. I'll save the in depth analysis until later, but all three polls done in Virginia since June 14th, have Obama ahead by 1 or 2 points (within the margin of error).

COnsidering how Obama's hit back recently, it seems pretty clear that the previous four weeks he was in reaction mode because the bulk of their time was setting up their General Election strategies.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
The GOP thread, on the other hand, is a bastion of pure political discussion on Obama's issues.

I haven't read it yet, but I bet it's not a spambot of Obama attacks like one certain poster likes to post. By the way, I don't see the moniker "Dem only" or "GOP only". I don't think that we need to change this into a free for all bashing back and forth, either. However, the point does remain that the constant spam is pretty silly, especially this early in the cycle. Someone's head might blow off if they fart too forcefully.

I'm giving you Republican's an ally-oop here. Consider it a peace offering ;)

Media Stars Will Accompany Obama Overseas

Senator John McCain’s trip to Iraq last March was a low-key affair: With a small retinue of reporters chasing him abroad, the NBC News anchor Brian Williams reported on Mr. McCain’s visit there from New York, including it in the “in other political news” portion of his newscast.

But when Senator Barack Obama heads for Iraq and other places overseas this summer, Mr. Williams is planning to catch up with him in person, as are the other two network evening news anchors, Charles Gibson of ABC and Katie Couric of CBS, who, like Mr. Williams, are far along in discussions to interview Mr. Obama on successive nights.

And while the anchors are jockeying for interviews with Mr. Obama at stops along his route, the regulars on the Obama campaign plane will have new seatmates: star political reporters from the major newspapers and magazines who are flocking to catch Mr. Obama’s first overseas trip since becoming the presumptive Democratic nominee. A “Meet the Press” interview is also being planned.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:29 AM)
I haven't read it yet, but I bet it's not a spambot of Obama attacks like one certain poster likes to post. By the way, I don't see the moniker "Dem only" or "GOP only". I don't think that we need to change this into a free for all bashing back and forth, either. However, the point does remain that the constant spam is pretty silly, especially this early in the cycle. Someone's head might blow off if they fart too forcefully.

nonetheless, athomeboy is going to post every bit of news on mccain or obama during the day, and has been for 3 months, yet you and ss2k5 feel the need to respond after many of his posts with "OH BUT OBAMA IS ALWAYS RIGHT" blah blah. You clearly know what he's going to post, so why does it shock you still so much. We're all adults here and can personally disseminate which news is important and which is frivilous, no need to consistently attack athomeboy. I personally enjoy that he keeps this forum at least very active.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
nonetheless, athomeboy is going to post every bit of news on mccain or obama during the day, and has been for 3 months, yet you and ss2k5 feel the need to respond after many of his posts with "OH BUT OBAMA IS ALWAYS RIGHT" blah blah. You clearly know what he's going to post, so why does it shock you still so much. We're all adults here and can personally disseminate which news is important and which is frivilous, no need to consistently attack athomeboy. I personally enjoy that he keeps this forum at least very active.

you can tell that my day job has been very slow the last few months ;) lol

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)

I guess he is the only one allowed to make blatantly partisian posts and have no one speak up about them? It doesn't surprise me at all.

I'll be honest, about two people have really made me just dispise Barack Obama anytime he on TV. Being constantly innudated with the constant barrage of garbage attacks has made me actually look for stuff to refute some of the stuff that gets posted here. In that process I have really grown to lose all respect for Obama the candidate and person that I used to have. I never agreed with the guy, but I at least respected what he was trying to do. Because of the ridiculous level of attacks against McCain and pro-Obama postings, I have looked to even things out a little bit, just because the level of one-sidedness here had gotten to ESPN-level proportions, about hearing how great the Yankees and Red Sox are. Anymore I try not to waste my time replying to the inane nature of off-cuff jokes from 20 years ago being pointless anyway. Usually I stick to the GOP thread unless I get stalked there too. Its like being harassed downtown everyday by the damned Greenpeace and EnviornmentIllinois people. It makes me want to empty my gas tank on a baby seal. I probably should just leave the cult-like Obama love mentality alone, but I am weak, what can I say. The forum is plenty active on its own. I'd actually argue that it has been less active as more people have quit posting because of the nature of the beast here lately.