• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
The ACORN Pimp/Ho road show is back, and the new target is Planned Parenthood.

Turns out "Live Action" went to 13 different Planned Parenthood centers across the Northeast with cameras posing as a pimp trafficking underage prostitutes and wanted information on abortion. They released a video where the counselor made some improper and unethical counsel to these people.

The Planned Parenthood employee? Fired upon discovery of the remarks. The FBI, by the way, was also notified of these unusual visits, because Planned Parenthood generally errs on the side of caution when it comes to human trafficking.

I think we can all agree, that no medical professional should act illegally when counselling patients about reproductive health, or any personal health issues for that matter. But because of this "sting" operation, designed to get an organization in trouble unnecessarily, the FBI is now spending extra resources investigating a potential child trafficking organization that doesn't really exist and that's kind of horrifying.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110202/us_nm/us_abortion_video

For the record, fully two thirds of Planned Parenthood services entail STD Screening and STD/Pregnancy Prevention and Education. Another 17% of it is cancer screening. Abortion related services entail just 3% of what this organization does.

Here's the video. Weird it wasn't in the article somewhere.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2321959:date=Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:32 AM:name=Rex Kicka**)-->
QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
<!--quotec-->The ACORN Pimp/Ho road show is back, and the new target is Planned Parenthood.

Turns out "Live Action" went to 13 different Planned Parenthood centers across the Northeast with cameras posing as a pimp trafficking underage prostitutes and wanted information on abortion. They released a video where the counselor made some improper and unethical counsel to these people.

The Planned Parenthood employee? Fired upon discovery of the remarks. The FBI, by the way, was also notified of these unusual visits, because Planned Parenthood generally errs on the side of caution when it comes to human trafficking.

I think we can all agree, that no medical professional should act illegally when counselling patients about reproductive health, or any personal health issues for that matter. But because of this "sting" operation, designed to get an organization in trouble unnecessarily, the FBI is now spending extra resources investigating a potential child trafficking organization that doesn't really exist and that's kind of horrifying.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110202/us_nm/us_abortion_video

For the record, fully two thirds of Planned Parenthood services entail STD Screening and STD/Pregnancy Prevention and Education. Another 17% of it is cancer screening. Abortion related services entail just 3% of what this organization does.

Here's the video. Weird it wasn't in the article somewhere.

They probably didn't put it in the video because chances are this was heavily edited.

Sarah Palin Tries to Trademark Her Name

Bad news if you were thinking of hitching a ride on Brand Palin. The former Alaska governor and Fox News contributor is way ahead of you. According to Suzi Parker at Politics Daily, Sarah Palin has filed paperwork with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to trademark both "Sarah Palin®" and "Bristol Palin®."

Parker reports the patent office applications were filed back on November 5, just after the mid-term elections. The application for Bristol Palin was filed earlier, in September, just before the Palin daughter began her run for glory on Dancing with the Stars. Why Sarah Palin®? Well, bigtime celebrities sometimes trademark their names to protect the brand, but Parker points out Palin's effort has a few glitches:

For
S
arah Palin'
s
application, there are two cla
s
s
e
s
of commercial
s
ervice for which her name would be a regi
s
tered trademar
k
. One i
s
for "information about political election
s
" and "providing a web
s
ite featuring information about political i
s
s
ue
s
." The
s
econd i
s
for "educational and entertainment
s
ervice
s
... providing motivational
s
pea
k
ing
s
ervice
s
in the field of politic
s
, culture, bu
s
ine
s
s
and value
s
."

The "Bri
s
tol Palin" application i
s
for "educational and entertainment
s
ervice
s
, namely, providing motivational
s
pea
k
ing
s
ervice
s
in the field of life choice
s
."

Another potential problem? Palin didn't sign the paperwork. So for now, you can still just type Sarah Palin. No "®" needed-yet.

I was not aware you could trade mark your own name.

The "Bristol Palin" application is for "educational and entertainment services, namely, providing motivational speaking services in the field of life choices."

Bang out of wedlock, neglect protection, have baby, become star the Bristol way!

Edited by Steve9347

No real comment on this, but thought it was interesting enough to share.

Yet as science fair season kicks into high gear, participation among high school students appears to be declining. And many science teachers say the problem is not a lack of celebration, but the Obama administration’s own education policy, which holds schools accountable for math and reading scores at the expense of the kind of creative, independent exploration that science fair projects require.

“To say that we need engineers and ‘this is our Sputnik moment’ is meaningless if we have no time to teach students how to do science,” said Dean Gilbert, the president of the Los Angeles County Science Fair, referring to a line in President Obama’s State of the Union address last week. The Los Angeles fair, though still one of the nation’s largest, now has 185 schools participating, down from 244 a decade ago.

I'm still not sold either way on the charter school issue...but this data is pretty grim.

New York State education officials released a new set of graduation statistics on Monday that show less than half of students in the state are leaving high school prepared for college and well-paying careers.

Using data collected by state and community colleges, testing experts on a state committee determined last year that a 75 on the English Regents and a 80 on the math Regents roughly predicted that students would get at least a C in a college-level course in the same subject. Scores below that meant students had to often take remediation classes before they could do college-level work. Only 41 percent of New York State graduates in 2009 achieved those scores.

In the wealthier districts across the state, the news is better: 72 percent of students in “low need” districts are graduating ready for college or careers. But even that is well under the 95 percent of students in those districts who are now graduating.

The data also cast new doubt on the ability of charter schools to outperform their traditional school peers. Statewide, only 10 percent of students at charters graduated in 2009 at college-ready standards, though 49 percent received diplomas. The state has not yet calculated results for every district and school.

The problem with the interpretation of course is that there is likely a bias where charter schools have been established in areas with already-failing schools, so you can't draw the conclusion that "Charter schools obviously perform worse". However, if you're asking whether charter schools are a panacea to cure all educational ills, I think you have an easy answer right there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Well, he had a good career while it lasted.

http://current.com/keith-olbermann/"" target="_blank">His career is far from over.

Keith Olbermann to Host Major New Nightly Primetime News and Commentary Show on Current TV

Keith Olbermann, the acclaimed broadcaster and writer whose verbal pyrotechnics and moral passion have outraged, informed, and dazzled viewers of "Countdown With Keith Olbermann" for the past eight years, is bringing his slashing wit, analytical eye, and distinctive commentary to Current Media, the Emmy® and Peabody Award-winning TV and digital media company that was founded in 2005 by Al Gore and Joel Hyatt and is now distributed in more than 75 million households around the world. The news was announced today in New York.

In addition to executive producing and hosting a new nightly primetime news and commentary show, Keith Olbermann will also serve as the company's Chief News Officer and will have an equity stake in Current Media.

The new show will air weeknights in primetime beginning later in 2011.

Keith Olbermann's show will lead a programming slate on Current that includes original and acquired TV series aimed at a broad adult audience. Current features compelling stories about everyday heroes and ordinary people in extraordinary situations, and takes you to sometimes dangerous and always intriguing places. Current shines a light on controversial subjects, tackling hot issues of the day in a thoughtful and sometimes humorous way. Current engages its viewers by sparking debate and discussion, and via interactive formats that allow viewers to inform its stories.

Edited by BigSqwert

To add...

Keith Olbermann announced on Tuesday that he will host a one-hour, nightly primetime show on Current TV starting in late spring. He will also become the "chief news officer" for Current.

In a conference call with reporters, Olbermann said that "nothing is more vital to a free America than a free media, "and nothing is more vital to my concept of a free media than news that is produced independently of corporate interference."" and called Current "the model truth seeking entity" in television. He called his new show "the most exciting event in my career."

He said the show "will be for all intents and purposes an improved and we hope amplified and stronger version of the show that I just did at my previous network." He said the name and time of the show have not been figured out yet.

Al Gore, the chairman of Current TV, also spoke on the conference call. He said he was "extremely honored and delighted" that Olbermann was coming to Current. He said Olbermann was a "great fit with Current in every way."

Olbermann will also be the executive producer of the new show. In the conference call, he called Current the only "independent news and information" channel in the United States. He said he was looking forward to working somewhere where "purely market forces are not the deciding factor in what we're doing here."

via

Hard to disagree with the 2nd bolded part. Easily one of my favorite networks right now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
He couldn't manage a huge audience on a bigger network, dunno why it'll be any different at a smaller network.

His ratings were not that far off from his direct competition in his time slot.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I thought he was crushed by everyone at Fox and was still behind people at CNN?

Everyone, and I mean everyone, is crushing CNN.

He was still significantly behind people at Fox, by a factor of 2 or so (2 million to 1 million).

However, his ad rates were much, much higher than the people at Fox, because the average viewer age for O'Reilly's show, for example, is about 71. And because no one other than Goldline is going to risk their brand name being associated with Glenn Beck when he says something that actually gets someone killed.