• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Oh I agree that the coverage has been a little much, but it's a "juicy" story. Just like Edwards or Spitzer.

And I DO think he should resign for, at the very least, absolute incompetence. He should not have the authority and power that comes with being a member of Congress is he's that f***ing stupid. Did he really think that stuff would not come out eventually? Has he not paid attention the last 10 years?

I'd bet you that 5% of the Congresspeople who cheat on their spouses wind up being exposed. Or at least that it's closer to 5% than 75%.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
David Tyree, piece of garbage and former NFL WR: "anarchy" if gay marriage is legalized

I'm not sure if I'd care about this if it was 27 teams in MLB.

Taylor Campione and Kelsi Culpepper -- two lesbian women from Minneapolis -- were recently scolded by a Target Field security guard for what they call a "brief kiss."

After seeing the quick peck on the lips, the guard told the women that "we don't play grab ass here" and that they must "adhere to the 10 Commandments" while at the stadium.

"That ruined our entire evening," says Campione. "We were super upset, we felt super uncomfortable."

The security guard has since been reprimanded, but continues to work at the stadium, says Kevin Smith, a spokesman for the Twins.

"That behavior just is unacceptable," Smith says of the biblical put-down. "That security guard has received both a verbal and written reprimand that will be put in his personnel file, and he understands that that is not an acceptable behavior."

But that may not be enough. Campione and Culpepper are filing a complaint with the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, accusing the security guard of discriminating against them for their sexual orientation.

"I want a zero-tolerance harassment policy instituted at Target Field," says Culpepper. "I think it's pretty pathetic that there isn't one everywhere already."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Please. The story wrote itself. A guy named Wiener was rumored to have showed his wiener to multiple women. He denies profusely. He then changes his mind, apologizes, says there's nothing else out there. Then days later there's even "worse" pictures of him in congressional gyms and whatnot. And then there's investigations that he might have sent some pics to an underage girl.

Yeah, not a big deal though. He's upholding the outstanding virtues and ethics of a Congressional Democrat.

Anxiously awaiting David Vitter's resignation

This is from a libertarian blog but I guess it can go here?

Mississippi Supreme Court reprimands judge for requiring church attendance as bail condition

Also goes well with this from Alabama:

But for now, I just wanted to note this passage from Justice Parker’s concurrence (which also contains various assertions about the Christian basis of American law):

I concur specially to write on the origin of the fundamental right of parents to direct the upbringing and care of their children. The main opinion in this case references Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000), for the principle that parents have a fundamental right to direct the care and upbringing of their children. This right does not originate with Troxel, however; it has existed for millennia, an integral part of the institution of the family.

I. The family preexisted the state.

The family was the first of all human institutions. One man and one woman came together in covenant before God, and they, with the children God gave them, became the first human social structure. As William Blackstone wrote, “single families ... formed the first natural society,” becoming “the first though imperfect rudiments of civil or political society.” 1 William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Law of England *47 (1765). There was no state: no one person had been given civil authority over another, to punish evil and to prevent oppression. Nor was there a church to provide structure and order in the worship of the Creator. Both of these necessary institutions would come later — indeed, they were prefigured in the discipline and worship of the family — but the “sacred” relationships, Montgomery v. Hughes, 4 Ala.App. 245, 58 So. 113 (1911), within the family came first.

:facepalm:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
Yeah but none of that is really that important that it needs to completely dominate news cycles for weeks while there's 3 1/2 wars and plenty of domestic and international issues going on.

It's scummy. He did a terrible thing to his wife. He tarnished his own reputation and credibility. There's no argument there.

But resign? He's resigning because its too much of a distraction, and it's a distraction because of the over-the-top media obsession over it.

And, as Balta's been kind enough to point out, Republicans have done worse and received far less coverage and haven't faced constant calls from both democrats and republicans to resign.

I would have much rather chase after someone like Charlie Rangel like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
I would have much rather chase after someone like Charlie Rangel like that.

That's the thing, I would much rather there been the cattle call to all democratic leaders to oust him than Weiner for a really low level "sex without sex" scandal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
That's the thing, I would much rather there been the cattle call to all democratic leaders to oust him than Weiner for a really low level "sex without sex" scandal.

This whole thing is embarrassing for a societal standpoint. I will go to my grave swearing that no one would have cared about this if the guys name was Smith or Jones. Instead it turned into a 12 year old boys fantasy with tons of dick jokes, which made it right at the level the MSM could handle, and the masses couldn't get enough of.

I also really think most of the Dem's calls for ouster centered in that his own party people didn't really like or respect the guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
I also really think most of the Dem's calls for ouster centered in that his own party people didn't really like or respect the guy.

See my post above. It wasn't that they didn't like him, it's that he was rapidly working his way into the actual leadership because he was solid in front of the cameras, and everyone who was backing him was suddenly in a very weakened position within the caucus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
See my post above. It wasn't that they didn't like him, it's that he was rapidly working his way into the actual leadership because he was solid in front of the cameras, and everyone who was backing him was suddenly in a very weakened position within the caucus.

That sure isn't what has been reported. Supposedly the guy was arrogant and presumptuous. He put himself in front of the party on a regular basis.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
I'd bet you that 5% of the Congresspeople who cheat on their spouses wind up being exposed. Or at least that it's closer to 5% than 75%.

How many of them used easily recordable/trackable means like text messages to "cheat?" I'll even grant him one....one mistress to mess around with and send these pictures too. Maybe you can pay her off to keep quiet. But there were a ton of women here. Strangers really. How stupid can you be? I bet as soon as someone found out he was a Congressman they were shopping those pictures like crazy. How do you get that far up the political ladder and not think of that?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Greenwald on Weiner and our political culture

Yeah he's using it to bring up his same hobby-horse, but he makes a good point.

That's a terrible point. One involves the actions of the President (or other members of the Executive) during the time of war, the other has to do with private citizens possessing photos of a Congressman. Which is gonna be easier to cover? Which is going to be more relatable to the average American?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
That's a terrible point. One involves the actions of the President (or other members of the Executive) during the time of war, the other has to do with private citizens possessing photos of a Congressman. Which is gonna be easier to cover? Which is going to be more relatable to the average American?

Which actions actually impact people in a discernible way?

(Nonpartisan) GAO releases report regarding Republican claims about ACORN committing voter fraud between 2005-2009. Investigated a couple dozen cases, found that in all but 1 case the voter fraud claims were baseless.

1 case did produce charges...for voter registration fraud, where people had been registering false names to get the payments per name.

Zero instances or evidence of actual fraud at the polls was found.

Meanwhile, charges were filed today in an actual case of Voter Fraud, in Maryland...where the Republicans contracted with a polling firm to call up about 100,000 people (likely democratic voters) on election day and play a recorded message saying that the election was decided and their votes weren't needed.

Clearly, this is systematic evidence for Democratic voter fraud.

NY Republican says "f*** it," supports gay marriage bill

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters.

"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f*** it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.

"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

orsonclapping.gif

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
LOL.

Dick pics > violations of civil liberties and acts of war, and the media rightfully focuses on what Americans can "relate" to.

Our society is doomed.

As it relates to the average American, yeah, i'd say dick pics of a Congressman has about as much impact on their day as what some guard in a prison camp in Iraq did. I don't think I ever said that was right/wrong, that's just the way it is.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
As it relates to the average American, yeah, i'd say dick pics of a Congressman has about as much impact on their day as what some guard in a prison camp in Iraq did. I don't think I ever said that was right/wrong, that's just the way it is.

I think this is the most cynical thing I've ever read.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I think this is the most cynical thing I've ever read.

Either i'm not conveying my point clearly enough or you guys have some really weird, warped view of the average American consumer of news/media. Are you honestly telling me, in a country that votes more for an American Idol contestant than the President of the United States, that it's surprising that a dick pic controversy would "sell" better than stories about prison abuse half way around the world**?

**Which btw, was covered 100000000 times more than the most recent scandal involving US troops taking pictures of dead civilians/terrorists under Obama's watch.