The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
This tactic won't actually prevent anything from happening, right? It's not like the WI or IN state walkouts.

Nope...it's just a "show", which is what our government has become...a huge freak show. It's annoying enough when I have to hear about "how hard they wrok", when almost none of them even know what an actual hard days work is. These constant antics on the floor...walking out...etc...it shows how much of a game they think it is.

Any of them, republican, democrat, independent...if your job is to read something and vote yes or no based on the facts, then they should do that...not stage mock protests on the tax payers dime. A simple vote of NO, IMO, is more of a protest of something you are against than walking out, only to have to walk back in and vote anyway. It's childs play, and I'm sick of people giving them a pass on it...regardless of what side of the isle they are on.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
SOTU and a actual vote in Congress are not even comparable.

You said Republicans never walked out on Obama. Since Obama has never lead either chamber, this was the closest analogue I could find.

Anyway, I agree that this is pretty silly and a bit too much of a circus, but I think the outrage is over the top.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
All Dems walking out right now on Holder vote should be voted out. Let's act like 3 year olds.

Really they should have gone to a motel in Toronto until the hearing was over. A more effective Democrat strategy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Really they should have gone to a motel in Toronto until the hearing was over. A more effective Democrat strategy.

Vote NO do your job or resign.

Another Chicago homeowners property tax increase.

"Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Thursday defended his decision to authorize a $41 million school property tax increase — the second tax-to-the-max increase during his first year in office."

---

"Coming just one year after he authorized the Chicago Public Schools to raise property taxes by a whopping $150 million."

What is so baffling about this to me, and it's not that they can't use the money...I'm sure they can, it's that they're making the property bust worse by levying more taxes/fees on people who are barely getting by as it is. While I can afford it...I know people that CANNOT afford tax increase after tax increase and keep their homes.

Let's keep in mind this guy just doubled everyones water bills...and they double again this year. Yes, double.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 06:12 AM)
Another Chicago homeowners property tax increase.

"Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Thursday defended his decision to authorize a $41 million school property tax increase — the second tax-to-the-max increase during his first year in office."

---

"Coming just one year after he authorized the Chicago Public Schools to raise property taxes by a whopping $150 million."

What is so baffling about this to me, and it's not that they can't use the money...I'm sure they can, it's that they're making the property bust worse by levying more taxes/fees on people who are barely getting by as it is. While I can afford it...I know people that CANNOT afford tax increase after tax increase and keep their homes.

Let's keep in mind this guy just doubled everyones water bills...and they double again this year. Yes, double.

I can't believe with every single core group he has kicked in the teeth, how there isn't a ton more hatred for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
I can't believe with every single core group he has kicked in the teeth, how there isn't a ton more hatred for him.

I think there is something to the fact that Chicagoans are just used to s***ty politicians (or, depending how you look at it, really really good politicians).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
I think there is something to the fact that Chicagoans are just used to s***ty politicians (or, depending how you look at it, really really good politicians).

I know it's fun to complain about tax increases...but seriously, has Rahmbo done anything near the level of Daley destroying an airfield or allowing the city to be ripped off completely on the parking meter deal yet?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I know it's fun to complain about tax increases...but seriously, has Rahmbo done anything near the level of Daley destroying an airfield or allowing the city to be ripped off completely on the parking meter deal yet?

I don't think so...but not living in Chicago anymore, I don't hear nearly as much as I used to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:40 AM)

With each passing day I feel better that he didn't get my vote.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
As a Chicago resident, I have no problem with Rahm.

I do and I don't, for many reasons.

I do because he's doing something about the mess Daley and his merry band of Chicago Machine Dummycraps created by stealing from the City all these years...the issue is he's doing it at the worst time imaginable. The people cannot afford to be leaned on like this right now...not with the terrible job market and huge unemployment rate. It's just the wrong time to slam the people with such a burden considering how long they let it go on.

Points 1, 2, and 3 -- 1) He ran on a ticket of transparency -- he's anything but transparant. 2) He ran on a ticket of NOT raising property taxes to correct the many issues the City faces BECAUSE it would hurt the housing market and send more people into foreclosure -- he's now raised property taxes twice in less than 2 years time. 3) 1 and 2 show he's just another liar.

If he keeps raising property taxes year after year (like he's done so far), not to mention HUGE increases in things like public works water, I'll grow to hate him, because he's putting the already struggling housing market in a bad spot...as there are people barely getting by on their mortgages right now considering the job market...and here he is raising property taxes year after year, DESPITE property values falling through the floor.

Since moving here in 2009 -- my water bill went from 129$ every 6 months, to 245$ every 6 months...and it's due to DOUBLE again later this year. While I'm able to afford this...there are people that cannot...and he's going to effectively send them right into foreclosure...and further hurt the economy of Chicago.

Yes, something has to be done to get budgets in line -- but huge raises in service fees and property taxes at this specific point in time is absolutely shortsighted and absurd. It may very well end up doing the City more harm than good. The government is supposed to assist the people in bad times...well, this is bad times. When times are good, THEN implement the huge fees and taxes he's implementing. Right now he's hurting far more people than you realize.

Home values keep falling while taxes keep rising, despite official re-appraisals that just went through...in light of these reappraisals...property taxes should have fallen...they haven't. It's f***ing absurd.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
Yes, something has to be done to get budgets in line -- but huge raises in service fees and property taxes at this specific point in time is absolutely shortsighted and absurd. It may very well end up doing the City more harm than good. The government is supposed to assist the people in bad times...well, this is bad times. When times are good, THEN implement the huge fees and taxes he's implementing. Right now he's hurting far more people than you realize.

Then how do you balance the budget without hurting an equal number of people through cuts in education or whatever else?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Then how do you balance the budget without hurting an equal number of people through cuts in education or whatever else?

Sorry I made some edits, as I usually do, to expand on my feelings.

You don't balance it right now. That's the point. You balance it into surplus during good times...not during times of crisis.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Sorry I made some edits, as I usually do, to expand on my feelings.

You don't balance it right now. That's the point. You balance it into surplus during good times...not during times of crisis.

Does the city actually have a choice?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Does the city actually have a choice?

Sure. Do what they've done during the good times and borrow...when they should have been paying it down. Now is the time for them to borrow and spend...NOT burden the citizens...it's just the wrong time.

It's bass ackwards, to coin a phrase...now is the worst time you could choose to burden people...when they're on the cusp of going under.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Sure. Do what they've done during the good times and borrow...when they should have been paying it down. Now is the time for them to borrow and spend...NOT burden the citizens...it's just the wrong time.

It's bass ackwards, to coin a phrase...now is the worst time you could choose to burden people...when they're on the cusp of going under.

What's the credit status of the city of Chicago like these days? I honestly can't say I know...but given that they were so desperate to fill a budget hole 2 years ago that they sold their parking meters for pennies on the dollar I'm going to guess they'd have to pay higher rates than say, the negative interest rate being paid on 10 year inflation adjusted treasuries.

(I'd be totally in favor of additional federal aid to cities and states to help close some fo these gaps and I think that's where the spending needs to come from, since that's the asset that can be printed and inflated away if you're desperate.)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Its just a mess that Rahm inherited. I guess Im willing to give him some time because at least he hasnt done a meter deal or something that really just cant be defended.

There is no doubt he inherited a mess from Daley...but as a leader, he has to realize this is a piss poor time to lean on your people to dig you out. The governments job, IMO, should be to assist people during bad times...not burden them. You burden them during the good times...which they ALWAYS fail to do. General Rhammel will be no different. Tax and spend during good times...tax and spend during bad times.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
What's the credit status of the city of Chicago like these days? I honestly can't say I know...but given that they were so desperate to fill a budget hole 2 years ago that they sold their parking meters for pennies on the dollar I'm going to guess they'd have to pay higher rates than say, the negative interest rate being paid on 10 year inflation adjusted treasuries.

(I'd be totally in favor of additional federal aid to cities and states to help close some fo these gaps and I think that's where the spending needs to come from, since that's the asset that can be printed and inflated away if you're desperate.)

It's the worst in the union.

Yes, worse than California.

Edit: The problem is, what the local governments are doing is counter productive to what Obama's administration is attempting to do. While he's attempting to ease the burden on the people, the local governments are simply stealing what Obama's trying to give them. Yes, I'm defending Obama's current vision...it's proper for the time...but it's being undermined by people like General Rhammel.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
It's the worst in the union.

Yes, worse than California.

I know that about Illinois, the city as well?

Fair to say then that "costs of additional borrowing" might well be fairly extreme compared to the national inflation rate?