The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

Alpha,

Do you seriously believe that moderates problem with Palin is that she is a woman?

Or perhaps is it her social conservative values, its her anti-urban sentiment, her "real america" ideals.

The only thing Palin has going for her is that she is a woman and therefore when people dont like her its cause shes a "woman."

You can believe what ever you want, but I could have voted for McCain, but I never would vote for Palin. Once he picked Palin I completely changed my view on this election and started actively working to promote Obama. Before I could have cared less.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
She outdraws Biden and McCain at rallys, but it was a slap in the face to the American people? presidents pick vp's usually to offset somethig they are not good at or experienced at. Obama took Biden for his supposed 'gravitas' at whatever it is he is supposed to be good at. About the only thing he seems good at is inserting his foot into his mouth. McCain took palin because she is younger (to counter his claims of being too old to be in touch) and because she compliments his 'maverick' image. Nitpik all you want but she has taken on corruption in the party before, and that plays well with alot of people. So its a bad thing that Mccain took Palin because she was a woman? Give me a break. Was it a bad thing that Obama took Biden because he was white? There are several other black politicians he could have chose. or Hispanic. They each chose someone opposite of themselves. Mccain gets s*** on for his pick, while Obama is praised for his pick. All i am saying is that if palin is the tipping point in you voting against McCain, you were going to do that anyway and are just using her as an excuse.

:lol:

People dislike her because she appears completely clueless and has insulted many (fake) Americans, not because she is a she. Give me a break. That's a ridiculous assertion.

She took on corruption in the party, but then committed her own ethics violations.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Alpha,

Do you seriously believe that moderates problem with Palin is that she is a woman?

Or perhaps is it her social conservative values, its her anti-urban sentiment, her "real america" ideals.

The only thing Palin has going for her is that she is a woman and therefore when people dont like her its cause shes a "woman."

You can believe what ever you want, but I could have voted for McCain, but I never would vote for Palin. Once he picked Palin I completely changed my view on this election and started actively working to promote Obama. Before I could have cared less.

But see, if HEr views have completely changed you over to Obama, then you were probably just a RINO anyway and not really for Mccain to begin with. Sure, the vp helps to shape policy, and all we have been hearing is that she is 'a heartbeat away', but the policy stillcomes from the president, and if elected, that would be McCain. if McCain's views fit you just fine before the palin pick, how do you reconcile now supporting Obama's views, which are completely DIFFERENt from McCain's? You have just abandoned the voews you supposedly believed, because of a secondary position that ONLY matters if something happens to him. And despite his age, that's still a big if. I am not saying the second person's views shouldn't have any weight, but you are assigning her views more weight that you are giving the top dog.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
But see, if HEr views have completely changed you over to Obama, then you were probably just a RINO anyway and not really for Mccain to begin with. Sure, the vp helps to shape policy, and all we have been hearing is that she is 'a heartbeat away', but the policy stillcomes from the president, and if elected, that would be McCain. if McCain's views fit you just fine before the palin pick, how do you reconcile now supporting Obama's views, which are completely DIFFERENt from McCain's? You have just abandoned the voews you supposedly believed, because of a secondary position that ONLY matters if something happens to him. And despite his age, that's still a big if. I am not saying the second person's views shouldn't have any weight, but you are assigning her views more weight that you are giving the top dog.

Plenty of conservatives have argued that McCain himself is just a RINO. The Mavericks definitely aren't fiscal conservatives. I really think we're seeing a split in the party right now, and the social conservative/ religious right wing of the party (which the Palin pick catered to) has driven them apart.

Youll have to excuse my ignorance, I dont normally put labels on my beliefs so Im not sure if Id ever be a RINO, Republican, or Democrat. Im just a person who believes what they believe and I try my best to reconcile those beliefs with the choices that I am presented.

In this election I felt that Obama and McCain were very similar on many issues and most of the places where they differ were irrelevant to my beliefs. Thus I was down to my normal decision of liberal social policies versus fiscal conservative policies (although im not sure whether or not Republican's truly advocate fiscal conservatism anymore as I dont consider deficit spending or supply side economics necessary for fiscal conservatism, I am more concerned about free trade and govt not interfering in market prices.)

So I dont necessarily think I abandoned anything. I have been consistent in my beliefs and our system just does not have a representative for them there is no legalize it tax it party, there is no stop govt from interfering in supply/demand party, there is no party that represents me.

Thus I am left making the best of what I am given.

Before Palin, McCain could have gotten me. After Palin there was no way, because when he chose Palin, he was in essence legitimizing her views. Social conservatism imo is so anti-American in philosophy that I just have to act against it.

But I have no party, so I am not abandoning either of them. I am merely just setting my own course. If Republican's wanted moderates they would have given us something to hang our hat on, they would have reached out. Instead they chose Palin, some one to insult all moderates who live in cities, some one who will attack my patriotism just because I didnt grow up on a farm and wasnt indoctrinated with faith.

Thats not the America I want to live in, I want an America where govt doesnt get involved both in business and in my life.

The United States should not have the right to legislate morality, it should not be able to dictate what adults can or cant do.

I am a utilitarian, I believe in utility. And so long as my actions do not interfere with your utility, I should be able to do them. Just like you should be able to do what you wish, so long as it does not affect my utility.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
She outdraws Biden and McCain at rallys, but it was a slap in the face to the American people? presidents pick vp's usually to offset somethig they are not good at or experienced at. Obama took Biden for his supposed 'gravitas' at whatever it is he is supposed to be good at. About the only thing he seems good at is inserting his foot into his mouth. McCain took palin because she is younger (to counter his claims of being too old to be in touch) and because she compliments his 'maverick' image. Nitpik all you want but she has taken on corruption in the party before, and that plays well with alot of people. So its a bad thing that Mccain took Palin because she was a woman? Give me a break. Was it a bad thing that Obama took Biden because he was white? There are several other black politicians he could have chose. or Hispanic. They each chose someone opposite of themselves. Mccain gets s*** on for his pick, while Obama is praised for his pick. All i am saying is that if palin is the tipping point in you voting against McCain, you were going to do that anyway and are just using her as an excuse.

Why do you think she outdraws them at rallies? Do you really think its her politics? I think if Obama went across the aisle and picked her as his running mate, you would have a totally different opinion about her. Obama draws more than she does at rallies, and you don't have much nice to say about him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Why do you think she outdraws them at rallies? Do you really think its her politics? I think if Obama went across the aisle and picked her as his running mate, you would have a totally different opinion about her. Obama draws more than she does at rallies, and you don't have much nice to say about him.

Do you think its her good looks?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
1) Cheney did not expand the powers of the VP. It's up to the president how much influence a VP has.

2) Biden was a sucky VP pick too. I still don't see why Democrats think this guy is so great, it's obvious he's an incompetent idiot.

Didn't Palin say she was looking to have the powers of the VP expand? Considering she thinks the VP is "in charge of the Senate" and I suppose that would mean if the GOP can win today she believes she would become Obama's and Biden's (if he wins re-election) boss, I wonder what kind of power she would be looking for.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
He's pretty much an idiot, he's not incompetent though. He just doesn't bother thinking before he speaks. Ever. His political instincts suck.

He sucks at being a senator too. He would be completely incompetent in any executive role. I at least trust that Obama won't be a complete disaster, I do not have the same confidence in a, God forbid, President Biden.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Didn't Palin say she was looking to have the powers of the VP expand? Considering she thinks the VP is "in charge of the Senate" and I suppose that would mean if the GOP can win today she believes she would become Obama's and Biden's (if he wins re-election) boss, I wonder what kind of power she would be looking for.

She wouldn't get the VP position anything new as far as power in the senate or anything else. she doesn't know what she's talking about (as usual).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
McCain's plane made an aborted landing in Colorado today. I was on a plane that made one of those before, you think your landing but there's traffic on the runway and you pull up again. Its pretty scary.

You know what landings suck? Rapid landings. I never get airsick but I almost puked there a couple of times.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
He sucks at being a senator too. He would be completely incompetent in any executive role. I at least trust that Obama won't be a complete disaster, I do not have the same confidence in a, God forbid, President Biden.

Out of the options Senator Obama had available to him, Senator Biden was almost certainly the right pick (assuming Richardson and Clinton were either uninterested our out for various reasons), and I can understand why RSO (see, I'm in the Republican thread, I'm using it too!) would want his voice around a table discussing issues, but I really don't want to see him in the big chair either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Out of the options Senator Obama had available to him, Senator Biden was almost certainly the right pick (assuming Richardson and Clinton were either uninterested our out for various reasons), and I can understand why RSO (see, I'm in the Republican thread, I'm using it too!) would want his voice around a table discussing issues, but I really don't want to see him in the big chair either.

Biden adds nothing to any discussion of issues. He's a political wind sock. Obama picked him because he thought Biden would help him get the 'blue collar white guy' vote.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Biden adds nothing to any discussion of issues. He's a political wind sock. Obama picked him because he thought Biden would help him get the 'blue collar white guy' vote.

Compared to his other options, like Tim Kaine, Sebelius, Bayh...he's the only one who you can genuinely claim has been around Washington long enough that you don't have to make the "He'll gain experience while he's VP" argument that we've heard with Governor Palin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
Compared to his other options, like Tim Kaine, Sebelius, Bayh...he's the only one who you can genuinely claim has been around Washington long enough that you don't have to make the "He'll gain experience while he's VP" argument that we've heard with Governor Palin.

yea but that is a unusual argument if you are an Obama supporter. So it's ok to have an inexperienced president with an experienced vp? but not ok to have an experienced president with an inexperienced vp? so basically Obama can claim experience because of Biden and McCain can claim outsider of washington status because of Palin. it's a wash.

the truth is both made their VP pick based on demographics. Palin to help with evangelicals. Biden to help with 'blue collar white guys'. the Biden pick isn't that much (if any) better than Palin.

then Palin and Biden went on to make fools out of themselves by saying lots of stupid stuff during the campaign. :lol:

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)

I still think Richardson was a better pick, unless they found something in his closet during vetting. Which may very well be the case.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
I want to know why Murtha got re-elected, I figured this was a good place to post this. How long is his leash?

He used the same tactic as McConnell. They said they have Washington influence, therefore they can get the most earmarks for their state. No joke, both ran on a 'I can deliver the pork' platform and it helped both.

Murtha wasn't really in that much jeopardy of losing (not enough rednecks were offended to equal a loss IMO), but his arguments of his ability to secure federal money cemented a landslide win.

Edited by mr_genius