The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
I'm sure they have lists, so don't go too far. And hide your guns, stockpile ammo now, and closeout your 401k before they take that as well.

The Democrats in the house were actually considering a move which would confiscate all 401k accounts. Haha imagine if that got slammed through congress. Total panic would ensue.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/...t-accounts.html

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
The Democrats in the house were actually considering a move which would confiscate all 401k accounts. Haha imagine if that got slammed through congress. Total panic would ensue.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/...t-accounts.html

Yeah, we discussed this a few weeks ago as I recall. It got killed in committee, thank God.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Yeah, we discussed this a few weeks ago as I recall. It got killed in committee, thank God.

I don't think it even got that far ('in committee' means its a bill being discussed, not just a hearing,right?). It was just one proposal at a hearing, but a lot of conservative pundits have picked up on it and spun it as "the Dems are trying to take ur monies!"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I don't think it even got that far ('in committee' means its a bill be discussed, right?). It was just one proposal at a hearing, but a lot of conservative pundits have picked up on it and spun it as "the Dems are trying to take ur monies!"

just tryin to spread the wealth around dude.

:headbang

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)

Hopefully what happened is someone brought the idea up and then a bunch of people had to ask for tissue to clean up the coffee that sprayed out of their nose from holding back laughter.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Hopefully what happened is someone brought the idea up and then a bunch of people had to ask for tissue to clean up the coffee that sprayed out of their nose from holding back laughter.

Probably. When I said "in committee", I didn't mean official discussions, I meant the other people in the committee and did exactly what you just described. Only a small minority fo Congress are THAT stupid, just like the civilian population.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Probably. When I said "in committee", I didn't mean official discussions, I meant the other people in the committee and did exactly what you just described. Only a small minority fo Congress are THAT stupid, just like the civilian population.

Yes, there were two people on a committe that invited a few people to come and speak about that. I don't remember who they were, but I do remember that they were FOR it, at least until their fellow committee memebrs probably laughed them out the door. Doesn't mean it is dead yet, but don't expect that one back anytime soon. There could possibly be riots if something like that were to happen, and even most politicians aren't that dumb. yet.

My, my. Another fine day for the MSM in general, MSDNC, Fox News, the LA Times and The New Republic in particular:

It was among the juicier post-election recriminations: Fox News Channel quoted an unnamed McCain campaign figure as saying that Sarah Palin did not know that Africa was a continent.

Who would say such a thing? On Monday the answer popped up on a blog and popped out of the mouth of David Shuster, an MSNBC anchor. “Turns out it was Martin Eisenstadt, a McCain policy adviser, who has come forward today to identify himself as the source of the leaks,” Mr. Shuster said.

Trouble is, Martin Eisenstadt doesn’t exist. His blog does, but it’s a put-on. The think tank where he is a senior fellow — the Harding Institute for Freedom and Democracy — is just a Web site. The TV clips of him on YouTube are fakes.

And the claim of credit for the Africa anecdote is just the latest ruse by Eisenstadt, who turns out to be a very elaborate hoax that has been going on for months. MSNBC, which quickly corrected the mistake, has plenty of company in being taken in by an Eisenstadt hoax, including The New Republic and The Los Angeles Times.

At least nobody printed the story about Governor Palin running over dogs in her snow-machine. Oh, and the story that Joe the Plumber was related to Charles Keating is fake, too:

Last month Eisenstadt blogged that Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, Joe the Plumber, was closely related to Charles Keating, the disgraced former savings and loan chief. It wasn’t true, but other bloggers ran with it.

Now We Find Out [Greg Pollowitz] National Review Online:

Remember those helicopter wolf hunts that the Left used to attack Governor Palin? Guess what. They worked:

Slaughtering wolves on the Alaska Peninsula appears to have had the desired effect — more caribou got a chance to live, according to biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

As ugly and as politically incorrect as the wolf killing might seem to some, they said, the helicopter gunning that took place earlier this year saved caribou, especially young caribou, from being eaten alive.

Fall surveys of the Southern Alaska Peninsula caribou herd completed in October found an average of 39 calves per 100 cows. That's a dramatic improvement from fall counts of only 1 calf per 100 cows in 2006 and 2007.

The success of past wolf-control programs, and of some of those still under way elsewhere in the state, has varied significantly, depending on what predators were involved. In some cases, bears, eagles and climate have proved to have more influence on calf survival than wolves.

In this case, however, even some groups staunchly opposed to Alaska wolf-control efforts are conceding the removal of 28 wolves appears to have played a major role in caribou calf survival.

"I think that certainly is good news," said John Toppenberg of the Alaska Wildlife Alliance. "I am supportive of that goal. How they arrived at that I might have an issue with."

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_en_tv/palin_hoax

Palin never actually thought Africa was a country. It was a hoax. I knew she could not have possibly been that dumb

wow. Fox really wanted to smear her then. I believe they were the first to report that Africa thing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columni...,3405674.column

Girl's lesson: Bias, like shirts, picked out at home

Read yesterday's John Kass column on Catherine Vogt's t-shirt experiment

John Kass

November 14, 2008

Catherine Vogt—the brave 8th grader who used a T-shirt test to find out about political tolerance in Obamaland—is something of a celebrity now, thanks to you readers of this column.

By the time you read this, she will have already finished a round of TV and radio interviews, including a PBS spot for a Philadelphia station. It's all somewhat unsettling for a 14-year-old girl who had important high school entrance exams Thursday and a tryout for "The Music Man" at Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School in Oak Park.

"Well, a lot of people came up to me and told me that they saw me in the paper, and my teacher told me that a lot of people were telling her 'Way to go, way to support your student' and everything," Catherine told me Thursday. "It's been very exciting and hectic too."

The Catherine Vogt Experiment on Diversity of Thought took place before the presidential election. She shared her idea secretly with her history teacher, Norma Cassin-Pountney.

John Kass John Kass Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Related links

John Kass: Tolerance fails T-shirt test

Barack Obama photos:

Want to see even more? Click here

Barack Obama Watch

Road to the White House

Photos | Video | Biography

Countdown to Inauguration:

67 days, 02 hours, 02 minutes, 57 seconds.

Catherine wore a McCain shirt one day and secretly recorded the comments of teachers and students in her journal. The next day, she wore an Obama shirt and also recorded the comments.

Her findings?

When she wore the McCain shirt, she was stupid and was told to go die. One kid said she should be "crucifixed," which should prompt outrage from that student's grammar/lit teacher. Crucifixed?

One student whispered—perhaps like Winston Smith in "1984"—"I really like your shirt." But she said it quietly so no one else would hear and denounce her.

And when Catherine wore the Obama shirt? Her brains grew back and she was smart again and welcomed into polite society.

Since many liberal journalists live in Oak Park, I expect to receive many snarky reviews. My crime? I dared to illustrate, through the actions of a brave 8th-grade girl, that even high-minded liberal communities can be intolerant, no matter how many times parents gush on about "diversity" at their cocktail parties.

So much for the audacity of hope.

But it's also true that if Catherine lived in a beet-red community and wore an Obama shirt, she'd get a similar negative, intolerant and ugly reaction. And certainly some Republican children would outrage their grammar/lit teachers by wanting her crucifixed as well.

All such outrage is predictable. Whether red or blue or right or left, many adults don't get it. But Catherine Vogt sure gets it: Children learn their politics from their parents.

A kid doesn't learn to love Democrats or hate Republicans or vice versa by reading editorials. You can't blame this one on bloggers or "Grand Theft Auto." You can't even blame Fitty Cent or however he incorrectly spells his own stage name.

Many parents in Oak Park and elsewhere want their kids to figure out things for themselves. Others only want a mirror for their own tribalism. Parents, Catherine told me, "are actually a pretty big influence on kids. They take a lot of what's home to school."

At school Thursday in Ms. Cassin-Pountney's class, they discussed Catherine's experiment and my column.

"The students were mostly shocked because when they read it they kind of figured it out. They were like, 'Oh, I actually said that thing to her and now—I'm not mentioned—but I'm actually in the paper for saying something mean?' "

She said her classmates tried to determine whether she cracked and gave up their names to me, but because she's not a Chicago machine politician under federal indictment, she didn't have to name names.

"They were all like, 'So who did you mention and what did you say?' But I didn't give out any names," she said.

There were some rough patches on Thursday. The phone rang off the hook at home. She had her big tests and that tryout. And her parents—liberal Democratic mom and conservative Republican dad—had to run down to school to stave off an impromptu imposition of the Fairness Doctrine.

"Some parents were upset that one teacher remarked about her shirt. And other parents were upset that the experiment was conducted in the first place, and didn't go through 'proper channels,' " said Catherine's mom, Pamela Webster.

"So we rushed down to school to say we were backing the principal and all the teachers and not to make a big thing of it," she said. "It was just crazy. There was no crime committed here."

Not even a thought crime?

"No," she said. "We support the principal and the school. Let this be a way for students and teachers to discuss the issue. That's what we want in our home, not indoctrination but discussion."

Catherine still won't say whether she's a Democrat or a Republican.

"I still have four years to pick a guy or a woman," she said of the presidential election in 2012, which will be her first. "I've still got four more years. Then I can decide."

Catherine says she doesn't want to become a lawyer, but perhaps a surgeon. Either way, this week, she was a great teacher.

Thank you, Catherine.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
wow. Fox really wanted to smear her then. I believe they were the first to report that Africa thing.

When this first came out I believe I made some comment along the lines of I wouldnt be surprised if the GOP was trying to squash any chances of her running in 2012 already

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
When this first came out I believe I made some comment along the lines of I wouldnt be surprised if the GOP was trying to squash any chances of her running in 2012 already

So did I, but some around here wanted to throw her under the bus. I don't like her, but that stuff is ridiculous.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
So did I, but some around here wanted to throw her under the bus. I don't like her, but that stuff is ridiculous.

I threw her under the bus - which is where she belongs, politically speaking. And that has nothing to do with rumors - it was her behavior and words, right in front of my eyes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I threw her under the bus - which is where she belongs, politically speaking. And that has nothing to do with rumors - it was her behavior and words, right in front of my eyes.

That.

That.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
That.

And that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)

I mostly just found the whole thing funny, because it sounded like something I would say except I was seeing it on the news instead. Although I kind of feel sorry for her for the smear campaign against her right now which, ironically, isn't really necessary, she really brought it on herself which is why she's in damage control mode right now.

Posted for the Republicans without comment:

ABC News' Rick Klein Reports: A conservative California congressman announced Friday that he's mounting a leadership challenge to House Minority Leader John Boehner, as the GOP continues to assess the fallout from last week’s election losses.

Rep. Dan Lungren, R-Calif., becomes the first rank-and-file House member to announce his intent to challenge the top House Republican in next week’s leadership elections. The No. 2 and No. 3 House Republicans have said they’re stepping down from their posts, but Boehner is seeking another term as minority leader.

“I am embarking on this effort because I think our Party is in trouble,” Lungren wrote in a letter to colleagues Friday afternoon. “If we don’t admit our difficulties and address them aggressively, we not only run the risk of becoming a permanent Congressional Minority but we will do a disservice to our nation.”

Lungren’s bid -- coming on the heels of an election where Republicans lost at least 22 House seats -- represents a conservative challenge to Boehner, as many in the party advocate a back-to-the-basics approach to rebuilding the party. But most House insiders consider Lungren’s attempt to be a long-shot at best; Boehner retains strong ties to his members despite last week’s losses, and he has been lobbying colleagues heavily to maintain his status.

Hey, you guys can't throw her under the bus, you're Democrats.

Don't worry, I threw her under a while ago. It had to be done.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Hey, you guys can't throw her under the bus, you're Democrats.

Don't worry, I threw her under a while ago. It had to be done.

Is that how that works? Can I push her in front of it then?

Eh, I've taken the analogy too far. Besides, she's chosen to walk out into traffic with blinders on anyway.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)

There were several people here that were pretty much giddy when the reports came out about not knowing Africa was a continent. Alot of people don't like her for her politics (including me), but I'm happy to see that these reports ended up being false. It just shows that all is fair in politics. Sad but true.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
There were several people here that were pretty much giddy when the reports came out about not knowing Africa was a continent. Alot of people don't like her for her politics (including me), but I'm happy to see that these reports ended up being false. It just shows that all is fair in politics. Sad but true.

And that is my point. But everyone is just so happy to see her fail. That's the part that pisses me off. And for the 10,000th time, I don't even like her.