• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope these concerned Utahns aren't the same Utahns who spent millions of dollars and countless man-hours trying to push Prop 8 in California.

This has nothing do with the little feud between the LDS and gays. Even if that's turned into a contest of who can be whinier and pushier.

That's a rather strange argument, but it is essentially what conservatism is. Resisting change not out of some empirical or systematic line of reasoning, but out of fear of disrupting the status quo. The devil I know is better than the one I don't.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
That's a rather strange argument, but it is essentially what conservatism is. Resisting change not out of some empirical or systematic line of reasoning, but out of fear of disrupting the status quo. The devil I know is better than the one I don't.

Reactionary.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
I lived in Cook County for 24 years. The devil I know is f***ing horrifying.

That would be why you're not a conservative. You're a good example of how libertarians and conservatives are different despite being known as "on the right"

I'm not a libertarian. I'm not trying to be edgy when I say this, but libertarians are way caught up in trying to prove that what they want benefits the greater whole. It won't. People will suffer pretty hard if the safety net is cut out from under them. I just couldn't give a care in the world about those people and whether they can't find work or put food on the table or whatever does not matter in the slightest to me. In the long this will benefit the country as those people either adapt to a world where they have to earn something or just die off, but the transition will be nasty. Libertarians idiotically believe everything will be perfect right away.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 12:41 AM)
I'm not a libertarian. I'm not trying to be edgy when I say this, but libertarians are way caught up in trying to prove that what they want benefits the greater whole. It won't. People will suffer pretty hard if the safety net is cut out from under them. I just couldn't give a care in the world about those people and whether they can't find work or put food on the table or whatever does not matter in the slightest to me. In the long this will benefit the country as those people either adapt to a world where they have to earn something or just die off, but the transition will be nasty. Libertarians idiotically believe everything will be perfect right away.

You're a libertarian. The people you're talking about are also typically called libertarian, but they're really interested in free markets. You're interested in personal liberty above all else. While free markets are a related idea, those who are into free markets often feel that way because they think it's better for the whole, as you say.

Put another way, you like free markets because you see them as a logical consequence of a liberty-maximizing society. The people you disagree with really like free markets and see personal liberty as a consequence of a working market economy.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Democrats applaud wildly as President vows to bypass them and their institution. Even as we increased energy production?.....huh? .....unemployment at lowest level in 5 years...participation rate lowest level in almost 40 years...nicely done!

Obama is just a dictator at this point.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
I've been anxiously waiting for Boehner to do his best Belushi....

I've had enough. I can't watch this bulls*** anymore. Good God....

Don't know why anyone bothers watching in the first place. They're just platform speeches.I'll catch the highlights on the daily show.

that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Yoga may have been an uninviting environment for that woman, but I have a feeling it had more to do with the "fat" than the "black." Might have had something to do with the gawking assholes too