The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

As the country becomes more and more diversified; sans a huge attitude change, I don't really see Republicans winning the presidency anytime soon. Ted Cruz, Trump, and Rubio are not going to get you minority votes which you desperately need to win elections.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 25, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
As the country becomes more and more diversified; sans a huge attitude change, I don't really see Republicans winning the presidency anytime soon. Ted Cruz, Trump, and Rubio are not going to get you minority votes which you desperately need to win elections.

Great point. I think you are right. This is a Democratic presidency for a long long time to come. Hillary simply can't lose and it'll be democrats for a long time to come.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
Things can change a lot in just a month.

Half of the media still is refusing to believe Trump can win NH, South Carolina or Nevada, assuming Cruz wins Iowa.

The closer the reality of him potentially becoming president hits, the harder it will get.

Let's face it. None of the Republicans' candidates are worth a damn. Trump is the only one who anybody takes notice of. In this day and age, it's a 1 to 2 sentence soundbite is all that matters. Think of the candidates and what comes to mind from Republicans.

Trump - "He's so outspoken. I can't explain it but I like him a lot."

Carson - Snore.

Florina - Snore.

Cruz - Snore.

Bush - Triple snore.

You get my drift. I think Trump is a lock to get the nomination. A true lock.

On the Demos side: I think Saturday Night Live writers and Kate McKinnon deserve some sort of award because unlike all the news channels, they have completely, perfectly satired Hilly. Watch this sketch and look at her eyes. McKinnon has the desperate-to-be-President Hilly perfectly satired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvSiH1eAF3s

Edited by greg775

I didn't know whether to put this in the Republican thread or Democratic thread. But when Democrats attack Trump for "sexism" this author makes a good point -- why has Bill Clinton been given a media pass for his predatory behavior toward a 22-year-old intern?

Like Rand Paul said, it's not Hillary's fault, but this thing goes both ways. I truly don't understand the media's intent in going after Trump and never, ever blasting Hilly or Bill on anything. It's truly appalling.

I mean like I've said in other threads, what does the media have to gain? It's not like Hillary is going to give them any special access or anything. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Democratic presidents have been worse dealing with the media in office (regular press conferences) than the Repubs.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump-bill-c...-013313803.html

Trump/Clinton neck and neck if the election was today:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...ill_a_dead_heat

If the 2016 presidential election was held today, 37% of Likely U.S. Voters would vote for Clinton, while 36% would vote for Trump. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that a sizable 22% would choose some other candidate, while five percent (5%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

These findings are nearly identical to those measured in October when Trump picked up 38% support to Clinton’s 36%.

Seventy-five percent (75%) of Democrats back Clinton, up five points from October. Trump draws support from 63% of Republicans, virtually unchanged from the previous survey. Unaffiliated voters prefer Trump 36% to 25%, but 29% of these voters like some other candidate. These findings also are similar to the October survey.

The bolded is kind of interesting. Even though a sizable group would go with "other," Trump still is more favorable than Hillary for unaffiliated voters.

29% of voters liking someone else does not imply they would like a John Kasich-Bob Casey ticket. Two guys who can barely get any support on their own don't combine into a credible challenge to front-runners.

Doesn't Rasmussen almost always bias slightly towards Republicans in Presidential polls?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
29% of voters liking someone else does not imply they would like a John Kasich-Bob Casey ticket. Two guys who can barely get any support on their own don't combine into a credible challenge to front-runners.

Doesn't Rasmussen almost always bias slightly towards Republicans in Presidential polls?

That's the reputation. IIRC a lot of the people stunned by the 2012 election were discounting 538 while following Rasmussen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
I didn't know whether to put this in the Republican thread or Democratic thread. But when Democrats attack Trump for "sexism" this author makes a good point -- why has Bill Clinton been given a media pass for his predatory behavior toward a 22-year-old intern?

Like Rand Paul said, it's not Hillary's fault, but this thing goes both ways. I truly don't understand the media's intent in going after Trump and never, ever blasting Hilly or Bill on anything. It's truly appalling.

I mean like I've said in other threads, what does the media have to gain? It's not like Hillary is going to give them any special access or anything. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Democratic presidents have been worse dealing with the media in office (regular press conferences) than the Repubs.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump-bill-c...-013313803.html

the media gave Bill Clinton a pass? Lmao really?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
the media gave Bill Clinton a pass? Lmao really?

That "scandal" died long ago. Sadly it does not define Bill at all a$ he continue$ to speak everywhere and anywhere as a national hero.

He's a national hero right now. There's no negative connotation to Bill Clinton's morals at all. The lasting memory of that incident? The mocking of Monica and Linda Tripp. Mocking Monica's dress with the stain. Think of the Clinton-Lewinski scandal and nobody's looking at Bill like a mature man hooking up with an intern. They mock Monica and her fluctuating weight, etc.

You tell me Bill Clinton was not given a pass by the media on that one. Cmon. If this was a Republican the person would be treated like Pee Wee Herman was all those years after Pee Wee allegedly got caught in an X rated theatre whacking off. Pee Wee was shunned forever, not on any more talk shows. Ruined. Bill? He remains a hero.

Forgive and forget is fine, but try and convince me if a Republican did that, that that person wouldn't have been ruined forever. Bill Clinton is a national hero, case closed on that, and he's about to move back into the White House gloriously.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 05:57 AM)
Maybe people remember Clinton more for being one of the best presidents to lead this country the last 40 years?

Also, your incredibly odd Pee Wee comparison doesn't hold any water either, as he is currently filming a new Pee Wee movie directed by some small indie director named Judd Apatow.

Thanks for the reasonable response. The Pee Wee reference did fall apart (a bit) cause he's finally been reaccepted into society so to speak. But check it out. For many many years he was held in contempt as I stated. I'm glad for Pee Wee that as of late he's been allowed to make a comeback, so yes I probably, certainly should have found a better example. But my heart was in the right place as Pee Wee was held in contempt by everybody for many, many, many years.

As far as your first sentence. Really? Bill was THAT good? I'm serious about my assertation. The man had a 22 (I believe she was 22) year old intern come to his office for what some deem improper activity. In my opinion he's been let off the hook WAY too easy on this one whereas for some sick reason Lewinski was mocked. You have to admit that she's been treated pretty harshly by the media and society compared to Bill.

And I"m not a Bill Clinton hater. I like his speeches and his sense of humor. I DO NOT like Hillary and I feel Trump is being portrayed unfairly by the media.

As far as the troll thing ... believe it or not there ARE Trump supporters out there. People like me are SICK of politics and like his brashness. It's true. There are people out there who are fed up with b.s. being spouted by people like Hillary.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
So you are using the Lewinsky scandle to define his entire run as president? Nothing about turning a $290 billion dollar budget deficit into a $127 billion surplus during his eight year run? Unemployment rates? Serbia?

By the way, in every Gallop and Five Thirty Eight poll, he is ranked much higher than your "go-to" Jimmy Carter.

And let me get this straight. You have been on a soapbox about Trump and his "brashness" and how he tells it like it is, and that you are sick of every other politician that doesn't believe in what they stand for, and are all crooks. Yet Bill Clinton accomplished more during his time as president that anyone in the last 40 years, yet had an affair in office, which was very brash and "un-presidential", and he is an absolute villain in your eyes?

As far as your final paragraph: My Clinton example was brought up in response to people getting on Trump for his "sexism." I was trying to point out Bill got a free pass vs. Trump in that regard. I told you I like Clinton's speeches. I just feel that his wife, Hillary, is very very despicable if that's the right word. Or rude. Or elitist. I don't want her as President. Jimmy Carter IMO is one, almost perfect human being. Check my initial post. The CLinton sex stuff was brought up by me in response to the attacks on Trump for sexism. I feel I correctly pointed out Bill has committed an act that many people woulda been villified for forever. p.s. Has Hulk Hogan been forgiven yet? Other celebs who have "mis-stepped?"

Edited by greg775

Having an affair isn't quite the same thing as treating people of the opposite sex as inferior people, Greg. I'm not excusing Clinton, but I don't think you understand the word despicable if you can easily apply it to Hilary and don't think it fits with Trump

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 05:59 AM)
Having an affair isn't quite the same thing as treating people of the opposite sex as inferior people, Greg. I'm not excusing Clinton, but I don't think you understand the word despicable if you can easily apply it to Hilary and don't think it fits with Trump

If anything was going to bother me about that situation, it wasn't the affair -- that's his business. It would be that he lied about it under oath. But I also expect politicians to lie when convenient.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
If anything was going to bother me about that situation, it wasn't the affair -- that's his business. It would be that he lied about it under oath. But I also expect politicians to lie when convenient.

you make a really valid point.

i have a problem that i have never been able to sort out.

the main, big politicians. ....lying. if the main politician lies to protect life, then it is ok, but if he lies to cover up something it is not ok.

now the main thing here and as you mention, it was under oath.

but where does one draws the line???? a lie is a lie

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)

totally agree, and impeachment proceedings started, so it isnt as if it was taken lightly. Jokes are STILL made about the blue dress, so lets stop pretending that Clinton just got a pass for it, and i am not even going to address the Pee Wee Herman comparison because that is just hilarious and sad at once

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 02:13 AM)
As far as your final paragraph: My Clinton example was brought up in response to people getting on Trump for his "sexism." I was trying to point out Bill got a free pass vs. Trump in that regard. I told you I like Clinton's speeches. I just feel that his wife, Hillary, is very very despicable if that's the right word. Or rude. Or elitist. I don't want her as President. Jimmy Carter IMO is one, almost perfect human being. Check my initial post. The CLinton sex stuff was brought up by me in response to the attacks on Trump for sexism. I feel I correctly pointed out Bill has committed an act that many people woulda been villified for forever. p.s. Has Hulk Hogan been forgiven yet? Other celebs who have "mis-stepped?"

Wait I thought cheating on your wife was acceptable by Greg?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)

I better keep my comments on the guy I know cheating in the other thread lest this one turn into something else that could get me banned. I'll keep it in the other thread.

I do think it's insane to act like everybody who likes Trump is an idiot. There are a lot of people out there who like Trump for various reasons. And not everybody is willing to just give Hillary eight years in the White House as some sort of lifetime achievement award. That's all.

I just took a political quiz that said I align with these candidates on these issues:

Taxes: Clinton, Sanders

Immigration: Bush, Paul

Education: Christie, Fiorina

Marijuana for Medical Use: Kasich, Paul

Social Security: Sanders, O'Malley

Gun Control: Kasich, Paul

Abortion: Cruz, Santorum

Foregin Policy: Kasich, Paul, Sanders

No wonder I can never find anybody to vote for.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
I just took a political quiz that said I align with these candidates on these issues:

Taxes: Clinton, Sanders

Immigration: Bush, Paul

Education: Christie, Fiorina

Marijuana for Medical Use: Kasich, Paul

Social Security: Sanders, O'Malley

Gun Control: Kasich, Paul

Abortion: Cruz, Santorum

Foregin Policy: Kasich, Paul, Sanders

No wonder I can never find anybody to vote for.

what's the link?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
I better keep my comments on the guy I know cheating in the other thread lest this one turn into something else that could get me banned. I'll keep it in the other thread.

I do think it's insane to act like everybody who likes Trump is an idiot. There are a lot of people out there who like Trump for various reasons. And not everybody is willing to just give Hillary eight years in the White House as some sort of lifetime achievement award. That's all.

donald-and-hobbes-1-1024x324.png