The Dark Knight

knightni

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I watched the spider-man series way out of order (3,1,2) and wasn't that impressed. The second was really good in the first half, but kinda boring in the second half. I didn't care for the hob-goblin villian in 1 and villians in 3 were randomly mixed together and it came off more as a TV show. The second movie also has weird reactions of people in New York (Whoa, he stole that guy's PIZZA!) and has a girl plucking the spider-man theme on the violin as well. One thing I never understood, what exactly is Spider-Man slinging from? When he's flying over the middle of traffic he's shooting his web at a diagonal forwards seemingly hooking onto nothing.

If you're going to start going in to Spiderman continuity and production problems...that's not nearly the worst one. The worst one would be conservation of mass.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Technically I think he was 3rd to the last. I finally joined the ranks last night (yay for $1 DVD rental machines).

No, I'm officially now the last. I don't know what the hell I was waiting for.

BTW, and I'm not going to go back through the 20+ pages to see if this has already been discussed, but has anyone noticed Gotham looks more like Chicago than New York anymore? I know it was filmed in Chicago but there's some things about it that are just unmistakable.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
No, I'm officially now the last. I don't know what the hell I was waiting for.

BTW, and I'm not going to go back through the 20+ pages to see if this has already been discussed, but has anyone noticed Gotham looks more like Chicago than New York anymore? I know it was filmed in Chicago but there's some things about it that are just unmistakable.

Both of the re-do Batman movies (Begins, TDK) are unabashedly Chicago. Also, when was Gotham ever supposed to be New York (in the movies)? Seems to me in the first 4 movies, it was completely unlike any city, then the last two have been clearly chicago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Both of the re-do Batman movies (Begins, TDK) are unabashedly Chicago. Also, when was Gotham ever supposed to be New York (in the movies)? Seems to me in the first 4 movies, it was completely unlike any city, then the last two have been clearly chicago.

Nothing I minded, but I did feel like I was looking at 2 different cities between BB and TDK. I'm not sure how deliberate that was, but the city in TDK just seemed a lot more modern and vibrant than the city we saw in BB.

The Sears was in the background of one shot though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)

Whenever it's been talked about, it's always just seemed to be New York by default, and Metropolis was sort of a hybrid of Chicago and New York. But in these Batman movies there is no denying it, the streets, the downtown, the buses, architecture, and some of the skyline (although not the landmark parts with the buildings everybody knows).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Whenever it's been talked about, it's always just seemed to be New York by default, and Metropolis was sort of a hybrid of Chicago and New York. But in these Batman movies there is no denying it, the streets, the downtown, the buses, architecture, and some of the skyline (although not the landmark parts with the buildings everybody knows).

Good.

F*** New York. ;)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Good.

F*** New York. ;)

I was on a forum somewhere a little while ago reading, there were New Yorkers b****ing and whatnot. I was like come on, you guys f***ing have everything, damn. Every movie is set in either New York or L.A., let us have our moments.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
I was on a forum somewhere a little while ago reading, there were New Yorkers b****ing and whatnot. I was like come on, you guys f***ing have everything, damn. Every movie is set in either New York or L.A., let us have our moments.

Exactly. I dont mind Gotham being connected with Chicago one bit. New York has Spiderman, and Metropolis is more or less New York, so Superman as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Nothing I minded, but I did feel like I was looking at 2 different cities between BB and TDK. I'm not sure how deliberate that was, but the city in TDK just seemed a lot more modern and vibrant than the city we saw in BB.

The Sears was in the background of one shot though.

Being in downtown Chicago 5 days a week, this is BY FAR, the biggest Chicago movie I have ever seen. I was constantly mentioning where sites were in reality as the movie went on.

Exactly. I dont mind Gotham being connected with Chicago one bit. New York has Spiderman, and Metropolis is more or less New York, so Superman as well.

New York also has the Fantastic 4, the Incredible Hulk, and Daredevil, and The Punisher

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)

I think that was quite deliberate. I think Nolan wanted to show the difference Batman's presence made early on bridging the end of Batman Begins up to the mafioso hiring the Joker. As the movie progressed, the majority of scenes from the funeral procession on (exception: Lamborghini Chase and Gotham General) were generally at night or in the very early dawn.

Marvel uses real world cities and locations (aside from Latveria, Dr. Doom's home country).

DC uses fake locations. Not so sure Metropolis was meant to be in Kansas. I always took Metropolis for New York for the real world counter part.

Gotham? I always thought Gotham was it's own place with no real world counter part.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
DC uses fake locations. Not so sure Metropolis was meant to be in Kansas.

Clark Kent was from Kansas, but Metropolis I don't think was ever supposed to be in Kansas as well. The location is never given, but I know it was originally modeled after Toronto and then they just pretty much made it a "big city".

Aaron Eckhart Hints at Two Face Return

Contrary to his previous interviews and statements, Eckhart had a different answer to the Two-Face question. He said the following after quite a bit of laughing and a few “knowing” smiles.

“I think Harvey — if he’s not dead — is in a serious coma,” stated Eckhart, “and I’m not sure he’s coming out. They might pull the plug on him.”

Please note that although Eckhart does play the character in question, he is an actor and probably does not have any insight into development of the third film. And even if he had an idea, it’s still a bit early to say this is anything more than wild speculation

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Come on now, Metropolis is in the middle of Kansas, it's not New York, haha. I always found that funny how Kansas would have this massive town in the middle of it.

Smallville where Clark Kent grew up was in Kansas, Metropolis was always intended as a fictionalized New York City.

I always want to think of Metropolis as NYC and Gotham as Chicago, but that was never the intent at DC. Bill Finger has said picked the name for his fictionalized NYC in 1940 out of the phone book.

I love long time DC editor Dennis O'Neil's interpretation. From Wikipedia:

figuratively, "Batman's Gotham City is Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at eleven minutes past midnight on the coldest night in November."

The movie's not for everyone. Something tells me the guy that doesn't get around to seeing The Dark Knight until a month after it was released on DVD probably wasn't very hyped to see it. If it's not your cup o' tea, no matter how good it is you'll have a problem with it.