Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
I'm a minor league guy, I don't like losing prospects. That's just how I feel. I don't like the fact that the White Sox only see their minor leaguers as trade bait and not as future stars.

I'm a Chicago White Sox fan and believe the minor league is a resource to help the team in Chicago win. Sometimes there is time to develop players, other times the needs are more pressing and you have to trade 110% potential for 90% proven talent.

:cheers

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
Well JPN met him and liked him so that makes him untradeble.

Reminds me of the fans who were heart-broken when "great guy" Aaron Miles was traded for Uribe. Seems that one worked out okay...for both teams. We got a WS-winning shortstop out of the deal.

If they gave rewards for this category, then Joe Borchard would have been drafted #1 overall based on his humility, make-up and personality...but look what that produced on the baseball diamond.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
I don't think there is any question about it. I think if Griffey accepts one of Konerko, Dye,Swisher or Thome either has a major physical problem or is going to get traded, and Swisher seems to me to perhaps be the guy.

I don't think you trade a versatile young player like Swisher who's under contract through 2012 and replace him with a 38 year old rent-a-player. You're not going to get equal value back for Swisher at this point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
You would be happier then if BB were GM and we had the best young talent pipeline in the majors because all of the 4-6 year players are inevitably traded before they start making more than $10+ million per season?

I think Minnesota fans would have appreciated for Ryan to have a touch of KW's aggressiveness...that one extra move could have put them over the top one of those four seasons out of five that they were in the playoffs.

You're right about Minnesota. But, I'd just rather see a balanced approach. Look at the Angels, they gave up practically nothing to get Teixiera. Even if he is a rental, that doesn't hurt at all. The Braves could have gotten more for him. Schuerholtz would have.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
Who needs a DH right now? Can this be part of a 3 team deal where we just flip Griff to somewhere else?

thats really, really doubtful...the Sox wouldn't pick up Griffey only to trade him when he has pretty much no value as it is

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:22 AM)
I certainly see your point, I just think Gio and Aaron Cunningham, maybe even Chris Carter, will come back to haunt the White Sox. Carter's raking by the way. I just hope Quentin maintains his current level of success over the years. Because all three of those guys could crack Oakland's lineup sooner than you think. Especially Gio.

Well, baseball is filled with guys who have done it in the minors and could never translate that to MLB success. I'm not worried about Cunningham, like Rowand or Josh Reed, he's not a great fit for Comiskey...where you need outfielders who can consistently hit 25-35 homers.

More of a 5th outfielder, I think, long-term.

Carter could be great...but so could Brandon Allen. Who knows? That's why the minor leagues are so interesting...there are so many cases like Buehrle, Piazza, Pujols, Alexei Ramirez...where talent flies under the radar or is undervalued or underestimated.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
thats really, really doubtful...the Sox wouldn't pick up Griffey only to trade him when he has pretty much no value as it is

And what team wants Griffey but can't get a deal done without involving the White Sox? What could the Sox possibly have that another team couldn't provide?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
Well, baseball is filled with guys who have done it in the minors and could never translate that to MLB success. I'm not worried about Cunningham, like Rowand or Josh Reed, he's not a great fit for Comiskey...where you need outfielders who can consistently hit 25-35 homers.

Carter could be great...but so could Brandon Allen. Who knows? That's why the minor leagues are so interesting...there are so many cases like Buehrle, Piazza, Pujols, Alexei Ramirez...where talent flies under the radar or is undervalued or underestimated.

When did Alexei Ramirez play in the minors?

I would hope we traded anderson only because weve been pissin in his cheerios for a while now and he may become suicidal. Other than that there is no way that any decent prospect is traded for him, ever. And swish isnt going anywhere for what we traded for him and how long hes locked up. This could lead to another trade or not. I am very happy we got him and i thnk he will be a major contributor if he can get regular at bats. Also i will take him in center, yes he has lost a step or 6 but he still has good instincts and is a wiley vet. Hopefully he doesnt get in any rundowns or dive for any balls.

Griffey will play in CF, Swisher at 1B, and Thome DHing.

Konerko will be on the bench.

Saying that, the White Sox aren't about to run Griffey into the ground so he'll get 1-2 days off a week in CF. When that happens, Swisher will be back out there, and Konerko will get time at 1B. Same goes for Thome - he's been hitting better, but when he does have a tough matchup, Guillen will probably rest him, and insert either Griffey or Konerko into the DH spot.

My biggest concern is OF defense - it isn't very good, and about the only thing we can do is get Anderson out there in late innings even moreso.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
I agree with Stoney. If Griffey comes here, I think Dirty Thirty is gone, and since Beane loves him, maybe back to Oakland.

So you are saying a young player locked up for the next several years has lost his place on a team because we got an overpaid, over the hill corner OH/DH for a few months? Wow, I guess you really do think KW is retarded.

From Rosenthal's article on FSN.com:

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a game and a half, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:25 AM)
You're right about Minnesota. But, I'd just rather see a balanced approach. Look at the Angels, they gave up practically nothing to get Teixiera. Even if he is a rental, that doesn't hurt at all. The Braves could have gotten more for him. Schuerholtz would have.

Practically nothing? I wouldnt call Kotchman nothing. Would a young Konerko moving into his prime be considered nothing to you?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)

Jeez, I'm taking a beating here. Anyway, just stating my opinion. Seems like Richar is a really good AAA player, whereas Cunningham could be better. That trade seems unnecessery now. Gio's character is irrelevant compared to his talent. Like I said, I prefer a balanced approach. But, I understand how you guys feel when it comes to winning right now.

HAHA, if Beane were to acquire Swisher for Street he'd really be pulling a fast one one Williams. Trade him for several prospects while his value is high and then acquire him while its low. Is Kenny an idiot?

I also hate the idea of Griffey Jr. on the White Sox. Even if we give up nothing, he'll still -- more than likely -- be patrolling the OF. He's made of f***ing glass. What the Cincinnati fan posted earlier concerning his defense is correct. Why can't Williams see this?

It's only appropriate we'd include another slow footed slugger into a lineup full of.........slow footed sluggers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:31 AM)
Griffey doesnt play CF anymore, and hasnt for a few years. He is a corner OF'er/DH.

That's true, but I don't think they traded for him to be a late inning pinch hitter. He's got to play CF if he's going to play down the stretch.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
The only thing that keeps running through my mind is "okay, where's Thome headed to?"

Seems like the only solution if Griffey can't play center anymore. But where the hell would Thome be going? Another AL team in the hunt?

the only solution i see happening is griffey playing CF, Swisher at 1st, and Konk getting VERY limited at bats

and yet, this is a terrible solution because KGJ is terrible defensively now