Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Practically nothing? I wouldnt call Kotchman nothing. Would a young Konerko moving into his prime be considered nothing to you?

The Jurrjens/Renteria trade was brilliant for Frank Wren, so I hope that is the case with this one. I just think the Braves could have gotten more for him, they did trade 5 guys to get him in the first place. And, nobody thought then that the Braves could afford to resign him. Kotchman isn't nothing, he just seems like an Overbay/Grace type more than a Konerko type to me.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
So you are saying a young player locked up for the next several years has lost his place on a team because we got an overpaid, over the hill corner OH/DH for a few months? Wow, I guess you really do think KW is retarded.

He obviously would get something for Swisher. Street + something else perhaps. Getting Griffey and not moving one of the others makes zero sense, unless of course, Griffey gets hurt in a few days.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
The Jurrjens/Renteria trade was brilliant for Frank Wren, so I hope that is the case with this one. I just think the Braves could have gotten more for him, they did trade 5 guys to get him in the first place. Kotchman isn't nothing, he just seems like an Overbay/Grace type more than a Konerko type to me.

You said they gave up practically nothing. If the Sox gave up Mark Grace for a Boras rental player you would be up in arms. Kotchman is a serious 1B, who should put up similar OPS to Konerko throughout his career.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
He obviously would get something for Swisher. Street + something else perhaps. Getting Griffey and not moving one of the others makes zero sense, unless of course, Griffey gets hurt in a few days.

Yeah but trading Swisher at his lowest value for a setup guy then replacing Swish with a 38 year old corner OF makes even less sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
That would be like paying 100 dollars for a single cheeseburger at McD's. Reds fans think that we just gave the Reds money for him, or a low level minor leaguer. NOBODY in baseball would trade Fields for Griffey, and if KW did it, he would be flamed uncontrollably.

right now this thing makes no sense, unless something unless another is goign to happen very very soon. There is literally nowhere to play this guy. something else is happening.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
if they were in contention they might be singing a different tune

Maybe, but Griff is a loafing slugger who has lost his place in Cincy. He is overpaid, injury prone, and is doing his last victory lap in the league. They just want to rid themselves of that contract.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
You said they gave up practically nothing. If the Sox gave up Mark Grace for a Boras rental player you would be up in arms. Kotchman is a serious 1B, who should put up similar OPS to Konerko throughout his career.

Trade 5 for 1, then 1 for 2. Could have gotten more. I would have asked for two more pitchers at least. But, will Kotchman develop the kind of power that Konerko's had?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
btw someone on the redszone message board said griffey was seen saying goodbyes to the guys in cincy...so take that fwiw

I'm in El Paso, TX and they said on the local sports radio that Griffey has already agreed, but is pending a physical. 2 minor leaguers, one is a PTBNL. FWIW.