The Internet Comes to Armour Square Park: Softball game article

Gregory Pratt

I didn't intentionally try to crack your head open. I don't pitch as good when I'm not on a mound... ;)

Look around the forum and you will see talk in all sorts of threads about "The Gagemeister" doing something whacky or other, real and imagined, most of it in jest as most members of SoxTalk like the guy.

Someone lied to you. :lol:

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
Haha, what's with the physical descriptions of posters Pratt? Otherwise it was an interesting account of the game and both websites. I'm upset I missed Dougly more than anything else

I think Pratt was wishing he had X-ray vision . . . :lolhitting

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 02:41 AM)
Kind of makes me want to make it up for next year's game, though the small turnout is a turnoff since I'd be making a long trip to do so...

I think the best arguement for that is all of the people except one from last year played again this year. We had 9 people turnout dispite the nasty weather (up from 5 last year), and we still played and had a helluva a time. I can't wait to do it again.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Aspiring novelist.

Well, basically. I'm only eighteen today, and I haven't had much formal practice at writing, as I've only taken one college-level English class. I've taken AP English classes through high school and have been writing informally all my life, in college newspapers and in a variety of different formats, but I have never written an article quite like this, so it's practice on a variety of different things: descriptive writing, narrative writing, using subtext effectively, etc. etc. etc.

I think I did a good job, but I've got a lot of things to work on in the coming weeks and months and years. Lots of work to do. And I'm fine with doing it.

I will also say that I am not an aspiring "novelist"... but I'd like to write a novel someday, and have two rough drafts laying around. There's a lot of things I'm going to do with my life.

Very well written piece, Pratt. You're a talented writer, and I've read the work of many sportswriters. Reading the story, I realized that I wasn't even mentioned. I thought I did pretty decent ... I at least fell on my ass more than anyone else (I "purposely" fell after swinging just to get mentioned in this story!).

Softball was a good time though, and I seriously hope more people make the effort and come out next year. Hopefully the weather will be better.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 2, 2008 -> 03:41 AM)
Kind of makes me want to make it up for next year's game, though the small turnout is a turnoff since I'd be making a long trip to do so...

The weather was the reason for the small turnout. We had 21 or so people at WSI say they wanted to play and most of them were coming from far-out suburbs. It was raining buckets that day, so I don't blame them for not making the trip (unless they had tickets to the Sox game that evening).

I think next year we should shoot for a September date. The weather is better then and the Sox game that night will be more important because of the date.

QUOTE (Molto @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Very well written piece, Pratt. You're a talented writer, and I've read the work of many sportswriters. Reading the story, I realized that I wasn't even mentioned. I thought I did pretty decent ... I at least fell on my ass more than anyone else (I "purposely" fell after swinging just to get mentioned in this story!).

Softball was a good time though, and I seriously hope more people make the effort and come out next year. Hopefully the weather will be better.

You can't take the heat! :lolhitting

Seriously, I would hope that the weather would cooperate at some point because it's such a good time for all that's there.

QUOTE (DumpJerry @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
The weather was the reason for the small turnout. We had 21 or so people at WSI say they wanted to play and most of them were coming from far-out suburbs. It was raining buckets that day, so I don't blame them for not making the trip (unless they had tickets to the Sox game that evening).

I think next year we should shoot for a September date. The weather is better then and the Sox game that night will be more important because of the date.

The problem is that the kids are back in school and college then. It doesn't work for us too well.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
I did not count you because you were there for five minutes at the very end and I didn't count Molto for lack of any time with him.

It was a memorable and special five minutes. :)