Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

COACHES TOP 25Rk	Team	        W-L	Points	Prev	Next	1	Georgia (22)	0-0	1438	0	Georgia Southern 	 2	USC (14)	0-0	1430	0	Virginia 	 3	Ohio State (14)	0-0	1392	0	Youngstown State 	 4	Oklahoma (3)	0-0	1329	0	Chattanooga 	 5	Florida (5)	0-0	1293	0	Hawaii 	 6	LSU (3)      	0-0	1163	0	Appalachian State 	 7	Missouri	0-0	1143	0	Illinois 	 8	West Virginia	0-0	1008	0	Villanova 	 9	Clemson	        0-0	999	0	Alabama 	 10	Texas	        0-0	979	0	Florida Atlantic 	 11	Auburn	        0-0	888	0	Louisiana-Monroe 	 12	Wisconsin	0-0	747	0	Akron 	 13	Kansas         	0-0	714	0	Florida International 	 14	Texas Tech	0-0	644	0	Eastern Washington 	 15	Virginia Tech	0-0	568	0	East Carolina 	 16	Arizona State	0-0	560	0	Northern Arizona 	 17	Brigham Young	0-0	547	0	Northern Iowa 	 18	Tennessee	0-0	506	0	UCLA 	 19	Illinois	0-0	422	0	Missouri 	 20	Oregon	        0-0	399	0	Washington 	 21	South Florida	0-0	350	0	Tennessee-Martin 	 22	Penn State	0-0	313	0	Coastal Carolina 	 23	Wake Forest	0-0	203	0	Baylor 	 24	Michigan	0-0	112	0	Utah 	 25	Fresno State	0-0	91	0	Rutgers 	 Others receiving votes:Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Florida State 53, Rutgers 53, Boston College 47, 

California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23,

Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Michigan State 9, Connecticut 9, Mississippi State 6,

Kentucky 5, TCU 5, Notre Dame 5, Maryland 4, North Carolina 3, UCLA 3,

Texas A&M 3, Georgia Tech 2, Louisville 2, UCF 2, Colorado 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1,

Tulsa 1.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan is going 5-7 this year, I'm not really sure why they are ranked, Rutgers should be in the top 25 instead IMO. I also think Wake Forest is very underrated, they are poised to have a great season. At least they got #1 right though, Georgia is so scary that they could even go undefeated in the incredible SEC. Of course the ironic/sad part in that is the last SEC team to have a perfect season was 2004 Auburn, who never received any sniff of a shot at the national championship in the biggest joke this side of 1994 Penn State.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
Alabama and Rutgers not ranked? Wow. Is this the poll that matters or is that the AP? I would also have Illinois at #17 and BYU and Tennessee move down one.

I can see why Alabama isn't ranked right now (although they will be before the season ends), but no Rutgers and Michigan instead is a joke. Michigan should have a very good defense, but they will not be able to score any points between having no quarterback, a new and radically different system, and losing almost all of their offensive starters to boot. I actually thought BYU would be higher, they very well could be this years Hawaii.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
I can see why Alabama isn't ranked right now (although they will be before the season ends), but no Rutgers and Michigan instead is a joke. I actually thought BYU would be higher, they very well could be this years Hawaii.

I'm not convinced yet by BYU. We'll see though.

Alabama is okay. Could be a Top 25 team this year, but I think they'll finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC West, after LSU, Auburn, and possibly Ole Miss.

Georgia is so overrated it's not funny. Don't get me wrong, they'll be a very good team. But, they won't win the SEC. Everyone picking them to go to the National Championship will end up wrong.

I like where Illinois and Tennessee are ranked. Rank either of them too high and it goes to their heads, but ranking them where they are is a good mix of respect and putting a chip on their shoulders due to how they finished last year and who they return this year. It most importantly allows them to fly under the radar, and UT normally has their best seasons when they are picked lower than normal, which has me very excited about this year...

I'll be going to the Wake Forest-Ole Miss game this year since a couple of my buddies are from Winston-Salem and want to go back to that game. I'm pretty excited, though it will be weird seeing a major college football game in such a small stadium when I'm used to the ~107,000 person crowds.

Edited by dasox24

I'd also like to point out just how stacked the SEC East is and why it's the toughest division of any conference in America. Everybody knows about how awesome Florida and Georgia are, but the team everyone is picking 3rd (Tennessee) is also the team that won the SEC East last year and almost beat LSU in the SEC Championship if not for an Eric Ainge meltdown in the 4th quarter.

They are also the team that really only loses its average QB from last year's team, but replaces him with a former 5-star recruit who has more tools than Ainge could ever dream of. They return their top 3 rushers, top 4 receivers, all starting OL. The offense should be set. The Defense loses Jerod Mayo, which is a big loss, but has practically everyone else back, including S Demetrice Morely who missed all of last season. The 1st 5 guys on the depth chart at the CB spot have all started before and gotten serious playing time.

The problem for UT is that not only are Florida and Georgia incredibly good as well this year, but every SEC team (except Vandy) that plays UT has a bye week before their UT game. Also, UT goes 9 weeks without a bye week. Talk about a s*** schedule for the Vols...

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Michigan will be better than 5-7, guaranteed. 7-5 is more like it.

They'll be interesting to watch on offense, but they'll be in every game. They'll also be better conditioned than ever (and every other team) in the 4th quarter.

It's possible they go 7-5, but they are not even close to a top 25 team, have no business being there. Their defense will keep them in games, but no matter how well conditioned they are, their offense still sucks and that means their defense is going to be overused and tired in the 4th quarter of close games.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
It's possible they go 7-5, but they are not even close to a top 25 team, have no business being there. Their defense will keep them in games, but no matter how well conditioned they are, their offense still sucks and that means their defense is going to be overused and tired in the 4th quarter of close games.

While I agree they do not belong in the Top 25, I'm not prepared to say their offense will suck. It's a whole new system with new players. 5-7 to 7-5 sounds right.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
While I agree they do not belong in the Top 25, I'm not prepared to say their offense will suck. It's a whole new system with new players. 5-7 to 7-5 sounds right.

Well, when you lose 9 starters on a unit, you usually have quite a bit of trouble. When you are putting in a radically different system with talent mostly unfit to run it, you have more trouble. And having no quarterback is triple trouble. If the offense is just average, Michigan could win 7 or 8 games, but I have a hard time thinking they'll be even that good to be honest. But with a defense that good, they could surprise me and a lot of other people.

Last year someone posted (I think it was on here) a master college football schedule complete with color helmets from every team. Has anyone seen this year's version anywhere? I'd attach the file, but SoxTalk doesn't like me attaching files, even when they are within the file size limitations.

Okay, guess I should have just googled it. I found it and here is a link to it. This is a must for all college football fans. Or at least fans that watch more than just their team.

2008 NCAA Football Helmet schedule

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
Last year someone posted (I think it was on here) a master college football schedule complete with color helmets from every team. Has anyone seen this year's version anywhere? I'd attach the file, but SoxTalk doesn't like me attaching files, even when they are within the file size limitations.

Okay, guess I should have just googled it. I found it and here is a link to it. This is a must for all college football fans. Or at least fans that watch more than just their team.

2008 NCAA Football Helmet schedule

That's a pretty sweet schedule. I had one last year, but forgot about it till you brought it up, so thanks. Just printed out the SEC version.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Go Buckeyes and Salukis!!!!!! God I cannot wait for the season to start!

I can't wait until my Trojans eat OSU's lunch.

Maualuga>Beanie

McKnight>Lauranitis

Let the trash talking begin. :lolhitting

USC over UGA in the title game. :headbang

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
I can't wait until my Trojans eat OSU's lunch.

Maualuga>Beanie

McKnight>Lauranitis

Let the trash talking begin. :lolhitting

USC over UGA in the title game. :headbang

I really don't care either way who wins the USC-OSU game, but I do know it's gonna be a hell of a game to watch. Can't wait for it. I do think it will be a lot closer than most people believe.

Oh, and I don't think you'll see a SEC team in the National Championship. Not b/c they don't have a good enough team, but rather b/c they have too many really good teams. I think it will be near impossible for 1 team to go through its entire SEC schedule without losing. But, the best team in the country this season will be a SEC school.