Josh Fields

Frankensteiner

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
If our manager feels more comfortable playing Juan freaking Uribe ahead of Fields, why wasn't Fields used in any sort of package to bring us something useful for this season? He's the backup to our backup.

If he isn't playing now, what is going to change next season?

Because if Juan goes down, then we have no 3rd baseman?

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
it's the ultimate vote of no confidence in Fields to sit him for Uribe day after day.

nine strikeouts in 20 at bats are the reason.

This team's defense has been beyond pitiful in the past 2-3 weeks and people are complaining because instead of putting in a player who is going to hit .250 with a bit of discipline, tons of power and terrible defense, they are putting in a guy who will hit .225 with no discipline, tons of power and fantastic defense.

That's a no brainer to me...adding to that, the Sox then have a late inning pinch hitting option against a lefty and Uribe is simply the best option for this team right now at 3B.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Chris Getz has been playing 3rd for Charlotte.

Colina has been playing 3rd base since Josh was called up. Royce Huffman is playing there tonight. Chris has played mostly 2nd and some SS and left field. He doesn't seem to have the arm for SS or 3rd base. I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade Josh with Crede's back. Joe was scratched last night when he felt something during warm-ups and he's not in the line-up tonight either.

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
I have this feeling that Kenny will be in a corner and resign Crede...further delaying our eventual cleansing and rebuilding. Its amazing that the Sox haven't had to rebuild since the late 1990's but its due and I can't take these 35+ year old hitters anymore.

I'd disagree that rebuilding is 'due,' especially for a team in first place for 100-some games, and a half game out of first after some of the worst stretches of the season. In addition, the team has some good young talent, but it's a mixed bag with Alexei playing great and Swish playing like crap, for example. Finally, I am not sure Kenny is able to rebuild - I don't think it is in his DNA.

If KW could have got Street for Fields and Poreda i garuntee you he makes the deal, but according to Cowley, the A's asked for Danks or Floyd to go along with Fields and Poreda. The asking price for guys like Fuentes and Street were beyond crazy. So i dont blame KW on this one.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:32 AM)
If KW could have got Street for Fields and Poreda i garuntee you he makes the deal, but according to Cowley, the A's asked for Danks or Floyd to go along with Fields and Poreda. The asking price for guys like Fuentes and Street were beyond crazy. So i dont blame KW on this one.

Thankfully he didn't trade Fields/Poreda for Street.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Colina has been playing 3rd base since Josh was called up. Royce Huffman is playing there tonight. Chris has played mostly 2nd and some SS and left field. He doesn't seem to have the arm for SS or 3rd base. I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade Josh with Crede's back. Joe was scratched last night when he felt something during warm-ups and he's not in the line-up tonight either.

Getz had 3 starts at 3B in the last week. He's started over 20 games at SS this year.

His arm is strong enough.

That said, I don't think they look at Getz as a long-term option at 3B.

But he is a reasonable insurance policy in case Uribe or Fields gets injured.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Karko's Throat Skin @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
I have this feeling that Kenny will be in a corner and resign Crede...further delaying our eventual cleansing and rebuilding. Its amazing that the Sox haven't had to rebuild since the late 1990's but its due and I can't take these 35+ year old hitters anymore.

The White Sox have two hitters that are 35 or older; it will be 2 again next year (who are the 2nd and 3rd best hitters on the White Sox right now) as I have very strong doubts as to whether Griffey will be back.

If we are getting .900+ OPS's from 35 year olds, I'd like to have a lineup that featured nothing but old dudes, Carlos Quentin, and Alexei Ramirez.

The more I see Fields play this season and see his AAA numbers, the more I feel like last year was a fluke. Watching last year, it was amazing to see Fields put up the numbers he did with what seemed to be an inability to hit a decent fastball.

Here's the problem with how we handled Fields this year. AAA is full of pitchers with mediocre fastballs. Hell, if you want a guy to see good fastballs in the minors, AA is the league to go to. My brother recently saw 6 straight games started by pitchers who threw slower than 88 mph against the Durham Bulls.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Here's the problem with how we handled Fields this year. AAA is full of pitchers with mediocre fastballs. Hell, if you want a guy to see good fastballs in the minors, AA is the league to go to. My brother recently saw 6 straight games started by pitchers who threw slower than 88 mph against the Durham Bulls.

It is strange, not only lots of mediocre fastballs, but veterans throwing them. You don't see nearly the amount of soft-tossing journeymen in AA.

AA just seems like young guys with decent stuff that don't know how to pitch; hitters with raw tools that don't know how to hit. AAA is the exact opposite, but said players are also more ready for MLB action. Those that completely dominate AAA for a while are those that you expect to atleast be good regulars in the majors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
The more I see Fields play this season and see his AAA numbers, the more I feel like last year was a fluke. Watching last year, it was amazing to see Fields put up the numbers he did with what seemed to be an inability to hit a decent fastball.

No not really, look at the rest of his minor league numbers. This season is the only anomaly. He had developed to the point where he eventually had an extended period of a OPS close to .900 and despite striking out a lot still drew a decent number of walks. The question shouldn't be whether last year was a fluke, the question should be whether he will be able to adjust to the majors (i.e., learn to hit a fastball).

I find this somewhat ironic, because the breaking pitches in the majors are so much nastier than what you'll see in the minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
Actually, Fields still does have a lot of value. I guess scouts haven't seen him play this year.

Is this a joke? Believe it or not, you don't know more than scouts.

Perhaps teams are shying away from a AAA 3B who turns 26 in 5 months and still strike out every other at-bat. I said it months ago that we wouldn't get much if we dealt Josh, because he's not as good as most want to believe.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
Is this a joke? Believe it or not, you don't know more than scouts.

Perhaps teams are shying away from a AAA 3B who turns 26 in 5 months and still strike out every other at-bat. I said it months ago that we wouldn't get much if we dealt Josh, because he's not as good as most want to believe.

Actually it was from Joe Cowley, who said that KW knew he'd have to give up Fields in order to get a top-notch pitcher.