How About a Garcia Comeback?

harfman77

Freddy Garcia is supposed to be auditioning for teams on Wednesday, I believe. Since the Sox were unable to find a match for a P through a trade, what do you think the chances are that Ozzie convinces KW to take a chance on his old friend big game Freddy? We already went back to the Loaiza well looking for help, FG is the next logical step in our attempt to recapture the past. The price may be too high when all is said and done though and it may make more sense to turn to someone like Livan Hernandez to use in the bullpen/spot start role.

I think it depends on the contract. Ozzie knows Freddy better than anyone, and I think he's pretty much concluded Freddy won't help this year. If Freddy just wants to sign for 2008 like he's stated in the past, I doubt the Sox go there. I do think they would be the favorites to sign him if its a cheap deal with incentives for 2009.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
I haven't heard much of anything about Freddie and his progress. I believe there was some talk of his feeling good piotching to Little League players or something, but I would like to see F Garcia with the Sox then with someone else

His name is "Freddy." It's not like it's a nickname or something, when he was born someone liked the "Freddy" with a "y." I know who like the name "Freddie" but it's just not right. I think we should respect the wishes of his parents and call him by his birth name.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:35 AM)
Much better than average. Especially in the second half where he carried no hitters deep into two different games.

I'm just using ERA+...his was 105 and his ERA on the season was in the 4.5s. He was a pretty bad pitcher in 3 months of the year with an ERA over 5 in those months. He was pretty much hit or miss all season long but won 17 games thanks to a great offense, the ability to work deep into games, and a fantastic September.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
I'm just using ERA+...his was 105 and his ERA on the season was in the 4.5s. He was a pretty bad pitcher in 3 months of the year with an ERA over 5 in those months. He was pretty much hit or miss all season long but won 17 games thanks to a great offense, the ability to work deep into games, and a fantastic September.

ERA in the 5's would be better than what we've seen lately... But in all seriousness, Freddy has never been a power pitcher, he has always been finess, if he can spot his pitches he can be successful once again in this league. If he still has that nasty curve, i think he'll be okay.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
ERA in the 5's would be better than what we've seen lately... But in all seriousness, Freddy has never been a power pitcher, he has always been finess, if he can spot his pitches he can be successful once again in this league. If he still has that nasty curve, i think he'll be okay.

freddy was absolutely a power pitcher back in the day

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
freddy was absolutely a power pitcher back in the day

Oh yeah he was. He had a mid-90's fastball with tons of movement. I think he broke more than a few bats in his start against the White Sox in the 2000 playoffs

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
I meant to say he was never really a power pitcher for us. Through in the early 90's, used a lot offspead pitches and so on. But yes you were right Freddy was a power pitcher back with Seattle.

Freddy was a power pitcher for us. He didn't throw 95, but it was 93 with sink to it. His last year here his arm was dead.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
He barely did that in '06 and was better than a league average pitcher.

I say that not praying for a power arm but not desiring to have the Freddy that was throwing slower than Buehrle.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
I meant to say he was never really a power pitcher for us. Through in the early 90's, used a lot offspead pitches and so on. But yes you were right Freddy was a power pitcher back with Seattle.

Freddy Garcia did not pitch in the early 90s. If you mean the early 2000s, he indeed came up and was one of the best pitchers in the AL through his first few seasons. Then balance issues hurt his value, and he corrected those right before the Sox acquired him and was great in 2005. 2006 saw a drastic decline in velocity.

The main competition for Freddy will be the Yankees, Mets, and Cardinals. Obviously the Sox know him better than any of those teams, but may not be willing to pay what it will take to beat out the other teams. Three weeks in AAA to raise his pitch count and bring him up when the rosters expand Sept 1. Then give him a shot to see if he can contribute in the rotation or the pen in the postseason while giving Danks and Floyd some rest before the postseason.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
The main competition for Freddy will be the Yankees, Mets, and Cardinals. Obviously the Sox know him better than any of those teams, but may not be willing to pay what it will take to beat out the other teams. Three weeks in AAA to raise his pitch count and bring him up when the rosters expand Sept 1. Then give him a shot to see if he can contribute in the rotation or the pen in the postseason while giving Danks and Floyd some rest before the postseason.

I recently sort of warmed up to Garcia, but obviously with consideration the became less. If he came with an option for $6-8 mill non-guaranteed next year I'd be down for it because he's a fantastic pitcher, plain and simple. If not, I really see no point as the idea is to get an upgrade from Contreras while also spelling Floyd and Danks for a start here or there too.

I love Freddy and know he could be an upgrade in certain spots for this club, but without an option for next year, I see no point in really signing him, since, outside of next year, there's not a huge point in signing him.