How About a Garcia Comeback?

harfman77

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 05:42 AM)
I recently sort of warmed up to Garcia, but obviously with consideration the became less. If he came with an option for $6-8 mill non-guaranteed next year I'd be down for it because he's a fantastic pitcher, plain and simple. If not, I really see no point as the idea is to get an upgrade from Contreras while also spelling Floyd and Danks for a start here or there too.

I love Freddy and know he could be an upgrade in certain spots for this club, but without an option for next year, I see no point in really signing him, since, outside of next year, there's not a huge point in signing him.

The point should be to get an upgrade from Vazquez. I'll take Jose or Freddy over Javy in an important game any time.

After what happened to Jose tonight, If he's deemed ready to pitch, I don't see how Garcia ends up anywhere else but back with us. Are there any other out of baseball pitchers of his calibur looking for work? Anyone on waivers is going to be blocked, so that's not a realistic route. He's not going to be asking for the bank, and with our position in the standings, sign him, let him loose in AAA to stretch out, maybe pick his fastball up a tick or two, and cross your fingers.

This is where the Griffey trade hurts- I think Masset would have shown his worth in a starting role. He's done it before.

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
After what happened to Jose tonight, If he's deemed ready to pitch, I don't see how Garcia ends up anywhere else but back with us. Are there any other out of baseball pitchers of his calibur looking for work? Anyone on waivers is going to be blocked, so that's not a realistic route. He's not going to be asking for the bank, and with our position in the standings, sign him, let him loose in AAA to stretch out, maybe pick his fastball up a tick or two, and cross your fingers.

This is where the Griffey trade hurts- I think Masset would have shown his worth in a starting role. He's done it before.

Agreed on Freddy. It looks like he'll be coming back now as long as he can throw off a mound.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)

Masset was never a serious starter.

He was a shaky reliever - let alone a starter.

Get Freddy here now!!! He's always had big game balls, Ozzie is his kin, he's worked well with Coop, and all it will take is some cash. Pay him what it takes, and if he has even a semblance of velocity, give him the ball every fifth day and let him audition for his next contract on a big stage. In a pennant race, I'd rather take my chances with even 85% of a big game, road warrior rather than a Poreda, Broadway, or Egbert who has never sniffed the bigs.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
Masset was never a serious starter.

He was a shaky reliever - let alone a starter.

Right, he wasn't going to be a long term solution, but I recall only positives (could be selective memory here) from his spot starts. No matter, I'm convinced he would be better than whatever monster we have lurking in the minors.

It all boils down to this being a fire lit under Javy's ass. That sucks because in a White Sox uniform he fared best when there was little/no pressure on him in '07. If he garners his s*** and we get a Clayton Richard to hold the 5th spot then it won't be ok, but it *would* be making the best out of a rotten situation. And because I trust Garcia more, I'd like to see him signed because of the low risk/possible reward. Crazier things have happened.

Edited by ChiSox35