Tornado sirens

DrunkBomber

QUOTE (rowandrules83 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
Funnel clouds were spotted in Franklin Park, moving toward Cook County.

This is the one that got us.

Holy s***. The sirens went off (which is freaky by itself), the storm got ugly... my wife, the cat and I ended up in the hall bathroom. Our building, a 3 story brick block, was shaking. I mean, like, we were shaking around multiple times, in the wind.

There is now a tree, probably 4 feet in diameter, that came down about 20 feet down the block, and has destroyed 2 cars, and is blocking the road.

Wow.

The sirens went off and my mother was outside the house, but I didn't know where she had gone, so I ran out, ran around the neighborhood looking at all of our friends' places to see if she was there, then I checked all the stores, and then I found her at an elderly friend's house. It was scary with all the thunder and lightening and hard wind and rain.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
yep

Cause what you are going thru now happens a few times every year here in Eastern Iowa.

So do you guys go to the doorway and watch it storm too? :P

Sure, the tornado sirens are going off, but I'm gonna look out the door and check to see what all the fuss is about.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
My electricity better not go out. Anyone else around DuPage County have sirens or warnings.

Yup, we got mad sirens out here, and then the power immediately went out. It's still out, but thankfully I have a laptop and the wireless verizon internet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Yup, we got mad sirens out here, and then the power immediately went out. It's still out, but thankfully I have a laptop and the wireless verizon internet.

That's a top notch setup right there. And of all places to go in a natural disaster, why not come to Soxtalk?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Is this that rare for Chicago/area?

Put it this way. My Dad is 45 years old, has lived in Chicago pretty much his entire life, and this was the 2nd time he had heard the tornado sirens. Man, there is no sound scarier for somebody that grew up in the city/nearby suburbs than the tornado sirens. I think this might actually be the 3rd year in a row there has been a tornado warning somewhere in the city of Chicago, but they just don't actually set off those sirens unless it gets really bad. You just don't hear them very often, even going to NIU I've heard them a couple times and they still scare me big time, even as somebody who knows weather.

And the whole tornadoes don't hit big cities/big buildings thing is a myth. The only reason you don't see tornadoes in big cities more often is the fact that so many of them are in areas not prone to tornadoes. That, and the fact that big cities take up such small areas of land relative to the size of the country. But I might be wrong here, you guys are probably just being sarcastic and knew that already.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
The lightning is nonstop over here on the south side...

The sirens went off near my house for a good 20 minutes. High winds and monster rains, but no tornado. Like you mentioned, I'd never seen a display of lightning like that and the thunder was loud and continuous as well. After about 20 minutes of clear weather, another monster storm pelted us. My basement is currently flooded about 4-6 inches.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Is this that rare for Chicago/area?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
yep

I never realized tornado warnings were so rare in the Chicago area. Not sure why. Guess I've never actually heard of a tornado hitting Chicago, but it just seems like a place that would be somewhat prone to them.

There's maybe 2 or 3 warnings a year in Memphis, but when I'm off at school in Knoxville, we never have them b/c the mountains break up any possible bad storms.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 01:20 AM)
Blah blah, try going to school in Kansas. Severe thunderstorm watches warrant a whole night of good tv down the drain cause of network coverage.

Haha, I figured we'd be hearing from you and others who have spent time in the heart of tornado alley.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Put it this way. My Dad is 45 years old, has lived in Chicago pretty much his entire life, and this was the 2nd time he had heard the tornado sirens. Man, there is no sound scarier for somebody that grew up in the city/nearby suburbs than the tornado sirens. I think this might actually be the 3rd year in a row there has been a tornado warning somewhere in the city of Chicago, but they just don't actually set off those sirens unless it gets really bad. You just don't hear them very often, even going to NIU I've heard them a couple times and they still scare me big time, even as somebody who knows weather.

And the whole tornadoes don't hit big cities/big buildings thing is a myth. The only reason you don't see tornadoes in big cities more often is the fact that so many of them are in areas not prone to tornadoes. That, and the fact that big cities take up such small areas of land relative to the size of the country. But I might be wrong here, you guys are probably just being sarcastic and knew that already.

I don't know jack about tornadoes, I was being serious, but let me make sure I understand. For the sake of argument, let's say that Topeka, Kansas is the area in the U.S. that is most prone to tornadoes. If Manhattan had been built where Topeka stands today, that area would be equally prone to tornadoes??

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:52 AM)
I don't know jack about tornadoes, I was being serious, but let me make sure I understand. For the sake of argument, let's say that Topeka, Kansas is the area in the U.S. that is most prone to tornadoes. If Manhattan had been built where Topeka stands today, that area would be equally prone to tornadoes??

From what I understand, yes. The landscape of a city has little to do with the weather. For example, St. Louis and the surrounding area had had numerous tornadoes, some quite large. Brooklyn also had a tornado last year and Atlanta had one this year as well..