2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
The US cycling team showed up in Beijing wearing doctor's type masks. Not exactly the way to overcome the 'ugly American' stereotype.

I read Chinese news from time to time and it's kind of funny, they act like they don't even have a pollution problem there and it's all a figment of Westerners' imagination. Their news is written through rose-colored glasses, it makes me laugh.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
I read Chinese news from time to time and it's kind of funny, they act like they don't even have a pollution problem there and it's all a figment of Westerners' imagination. Their news is written through rose-colored glasses, it makes me laugh.

or if they write the wrong thing, their hand will get cut off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
This is awesome. His Real Sports story on HBO is amazing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/news/story?id=3521480

yeah it was amazing. I love track and his story is real inspirational. Hope he wins the 1500 because it would make his story so much more amazing — even tho it's hard to beat already.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
or if they write the wrong thing, their hand will get cut off.

Yeah... they're writing for their people, and their image. But for me, it feels like I'm being talked down to. I always wonder if they know I'm thinking that while I read their articles.

Now that they decided baseball and softball aren't olympic sports anymore (this is the last year for them), yet idiotic sports such as badminton and trampoline jumping are (as well as other idiotic sports), I could care less about the olympics. I am still hoping America dominates and sends out a big F-U to the rest of the world, but the olympics as a whole can go to hell, IMO.

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa

Considering the tumultuous year the American people have endured thus far... id be nice to kick some ass over in China. I'm not sure what the level of interest, or what type of positive moral could be generated from a strong showing from a strong Medal showing, but its actually pretty important to me.

Lets hope the "Redeem Team" fulfills its promise...... :usa

I'm in Suzhou, China right now and its wild how crazy this country is going. Right at 8, everything, and I mean everything shut down. There are thousands of people on the streets watching the random TV's they can find (about 30 people watching a 18in rabbit ears TV). Fireworks going off everywhere. It's pretty amazing. Now the USA needs to put them back in the shops so I can buy some fake goods for the family.

QUOTE (pierard @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 06:31 AM)
I'm in Suzhou, China right now and its wild how crazy this country is going. Right at 8, everything, and I mean everything shut down. There are thousands of people on the streets watching the random TV's they can find (about 30 people watching a 18in rabbit ears TV). Fireworks going off everywhere. It's pretty amazing. Now the USA needs to put them back in the shops so I can buy some fake goods for the family.

I hope your enjoying yourself, when I was in Suzhou I stayed in the absolute crappiest hotel lol, the bathrooms were dirty and beds werent comfortable at all, but its the city of gardens and they had a nice little outside garden in the middle of it...

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
I hope your enjoying yourself, when I was in Suzhou I stayed in the absolute crappiest hotel lol, the bathrooms were dirty and beds werent comfortable at all, but its the city of gardens and they had a nice little outside garden in the middle of it...

Where did you stay. I'm at the Dong Wu. It's not bad, but its far from nice. I just wish I could find a bar without hookers.

QUOTE (pierard @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 07:26 AM)
Where did you stay. I'm at the Dong Wu. It's not bad, but its far from nice. I just wish I could find a bar without hookers.

Keep us up to date about what you're seeing over there. Just don't get Soxtalk blocked in China! :lol:

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Not that it is that big of a deal but can I make a request for a spoiler and non spoiler thread?

I guess we could post results in spoiler tags, if people don't want 2 seperate threads?

I'll bow to the majority though.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
Anyone find a good site to go to that has a decent schedule and also US Olympic rosters for every sport?

Not sure why, but I am more pumped for the Olympics this year than I have been in a LONG time.

www.nbcolympics.com

I am watching handball right now. It's awesome.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22