2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Thread

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
I didnt understand the scoring and the lights on their head.I never could see who had actually got the point and why.

They poke each other in the chest protectors with the swords.

It sets off sensors in the chest protectors, the helmet registers the hit and lights go off.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
They poke each other in the chest protectors with the swords.

It sets off sensors in the chest protectors, the helmet registers the hit and lights go off.

Did the colors of the lights mean anything?Because there were red lights and green lights.

I'll say this: If basketball hasn't moved into the spot of 2nd most popular sport in the world behind only soccer yet, then it's going to very soon. China really started well with that crowd behind them and that barrage of 3's, but team USA overall, considering the circumstances, played well. They should be able to put it on cruise control and still beat Angola by 30 or so next game, and then it gets a lot tougher.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
haha french bastards, the commercial with Jenkins sp?? after the win was grea for his mom.

Not to sound racist, but I have never seen a black swimmer. What a great race,i was standing up and cheering.

I did the double fist pump from my chair. That was worth staying up for. What a finish and to absolutely blow away the world-record like that is amazing!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 03:45 AM)
I did the double fist pump from my chair. That was worth staying up for. What a finish and to absolutely blow away the world-record like that is amazing!

My wife was a swimmer in high school (not very well, may I add). Anyways, this is her World Series, and she was in tears after the USA won.

I know it happened awhile ago, but watching that 4x100 relay live was one of the greatest events I've seen in Olympic history. I was watching with my family and we were going nuts down that last stretch. I thought the French were going to "crush" us, haha. Never a good idea to talk s*** to Americans. You're just gonna lose.

The American mens soccer team drew out Netherlands yesterday 2-2. I got up to watch it and it was a good game. The US were the better team in that game from the 46th to 80th minute without a doubt. However, then they kinda fell back into a shell and the Dutch tied it on a free kick in the 93rd minute after a stupid foul by Stuart Holden. And speaking of, just a few minutes earlier he blew a 2 on 1 with Klejstan on what would have (should have) sealed the win. I gotta say Freddy Adu was the best man on the field. He is majestic in the middle. That pass to Klejstan to set up the equalizer was beautiful. He will miss the next match b/c of yellow cards though and thats gonna hurt a lot.

Game against Nigeria will determine who advances. A shame Adu and Bradley are gonne miss it. If i was the coach i'd start Altidore up front for Adu and birng up Edu from back for Bradley and start Ianni. We'll see what happens. American soccer has a bright future though, which is a great sign.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
My wife was a swimmer in high school (not very well, may I add). Anyways, this is her World Series, and she was in tears after the USA won.

Ditto, except my wife would have been pretty good if she wouldn't have quit. :lol: