Friendly competition?

Jake

Since the Griffey acquisition, Paul Konerko is 2 for 10 but also has 3 BB, 2 HR, 3 RBI, and 2 R. It's also worth mentioning that in the second game in KC Paulie looked very comfortable at bat, hitting hard line drives each time up.

Swish since Griffey is 3 for 9 with 1 HR, 1 R, and 4 RBI. He only struck out once in these 9 AB's.

I couldn't help after seeing both of them get key hits (HRs) last night that perhaps the incentive (or threat, depending how you look at it) of performance based playing time will finally get one or both of these two in gear. Once we have a little more sample size we will see with more certainty if they play better post-Griffey or pre-Griffey.

I think it's also a matter of keeping fresh. Both guys have had some days off [which Swish has needed more than PK, who was off during his injury]. Rotating PK, Swish, Dye, Thome and Griff during the heat of August may see some dividends in Sept. with everyone being stronger.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I think it's also a matter of keeping fresh. Both guys have had some days off [which Swish has needed more than PK, who was off during his injury]. Rotating PK, Swish, Dye, Thome and Griff during the heat of August may see some dividends in Sept. with everyone being stronger.

But we traded pitching for a one-dimensional player. How stupid is that? (think green)

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)

I agree. With the end of the season the older players will tire, more mentally than physically and the days off will help. It gives Ozzie a good balance to chose from. 2 lefties Griffey, Thome, 2 Righties Dye Konerko and one switch Swish (aliteration with the sw!!!).

Now we just need the strating pitching to return to form and we're sitting pretty well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
I love all this talk of keeping fresh. Modern baseball, got to love it. Why didn't Cal Ripken wilt every season? He played every game.

Why is he the only player in our lifetime that played so much?

I still don't understand how actually sitting out a game makes a guy fresh. It's not like the guy didn't take BP, didn't run, didn't do all the other things. He just didn't bat four times and didn't jog out to his position every inning and didn't run the bases. I'd love to sit down and talk to a major leaguer or 10 about this topic of staying fresh. I'd ask Oz but he's yet to answer my email.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I still don't understand how actually sitting out a game makes a guy fresh. It's not like the guy didn't take BP, didn't run, didn't do all the other things. He just didn't bat four times and didn't jog out to his position every inning and didn't run the bases. I'd love to sit down and talk to a major leaguer or 10 about this topic of staying fresh. I'd ask Oz but he's yet to answer my email.

There's a big mental aspect to playing a major league game. You're out there for 3 hours focusing on every single pitch when you're playing the field. It could be 97 degrees and humid. It takes its toll over the span of 6 straight months; 7 if you include spring training.

Taking a day off is a nice respite, but I'm not sure if it would even make a discernable change in production. If I had a day off, it'd be nice to stay out of the heat and adrenaline for a few hours, but I don't think I would play better the next day because of it. If they were legitimately worn down then these rests of more than one day could make a real difference, but I doubt they were really physically tired.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
I love all this talk of keeping fresh. Modern baseball, got to love it. Why didn't Cal Ripken wilt every season? He played every game.

Wow, so you are using 1 player as an example? Now, I never played a 162 game season, but I do know for a fact that it takes a lot out of you and your body takes a beating.

I guess you are right about the mental toll in the heat. Cause every team spells its regulars all the time. I wonder which player has played in the most consecutive games in baseball right now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Wow, so you are using 1 player as an example? Now, I never played a 162 game season, but I do know for a fact that it takes a lot out of you and your body takes a beating.

I'm not 35 years old, but when I'm out there on those hot days it is very tiring. The next day however, I'm just as fresh as I was the previous morning.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
I agree. With the end of the season the older players will tire, more mentally than physically and the days off will help. It gives Ozzie a good balance to chose from. 2 lefties Griffey, Thome, 2 Righties Dye Konerko and one switch Swish (aliteration with the sw!!!).

Now we just need the strating pitching to return to form and we're sitting pretty well.

I think all the "Where will everyone play?" questions have been answered. And it's a great thing that, so far-publicly, no one has been moaning about lack of playing time. If the sox win, few negatives words will be heard.

The key, I agree with you, is the pitching. The starters need to go 7 innings. Making the entire bullpen throw in each game is getting old.

QUOTE (lukeman89 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
miguel tejada, a-rod, michael young, grady sizemore, bobby abreu

all of those guys, to name a few, play every day if they are healthy

Well we know the reasons why Tejada and abreu didn't have drop offs (chemicals)

Even if those players don't have decreased production at the end of the year you are talking a very few, usually younger players that are able to do that. To expect every player to do that is wrong. Again it is more mental than physical. Especially the older players who were used to the amphetamine boost at the end of the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Amphetamines has had a huge impact on baseball.

More than PED, I think. Because while the PEDs were more obvious the Amphetamines were much more common. I can recall very few players NOT using them at least occasionally toward the end of the season.