Memphis

DBAHO

Ok you know the deal, I'm going there this weekend, first time, and am looking for recommendations.

So far, here is a possible list of things I'll be doing with my group;

Beale Street

Raiford’s Hollywood Disco Lounge

Peabody Hotel

Pink Palace Museum

The Rendezvous Restaurant (best bbq in Memphis apparently)

Sun Studio (recording studio as used by Elvis, BB King etc)

Walk along the Mississippi river and its accompanying parks

National Civil Rights Museum

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Wear a University of Kansas championship shirt.

Eat

WHy are you going there??

One of my good buddy's birthday is on Sunday and he's always wanted to go there to see Elvis and the nightlife.

Shipps if I wear your magic glasses, then I might be safe?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Aw crap, sorry DBAH0, I owe you a tour of Memphis stuff to do from when I lived there. You'll have it in this thread by tomorrow.

Thanks Matt. :)

Weather's going to be nice and hot for it at least.

OK. As a former Memphis resident, here is a 5 minute brain dump of cool stuff to see and do in Memphis...

PLACES TO EAT

Memphis is famous for BBQ (and The Blues), specifically pork BBQ. There are two basic varieties - dry rub and wet rub. Try both. I'm a dry rub guy, and the classic and best (in my time there) place to go for dry rub is Rendezvous. Its right in downtown, not too far from Beale Street. The entrance is off a dingy little alley, and the waits will be long. But the food is awesome. For the wet rub, try Corky's, which has a few locations in Memphis and the surrounding area.

Other non-BBQ eats... Do the Blues Brunch at the Elvis. Have a burger at Huey's. And the best overall restaurant in town is McEwen's on Monroe. All these restaurants are in the downtown area. Outside downtown, Bosco's in Midtown is good eats and a micro-brew with its own, very good beers.

PLACES TO DRINK

Beale Street. Just go anywhere, but try for the places less crowded with tourists.

Make sure to go to at least one Blues club. BB King's is the classic, but there are a number of others, on and just off of Beale. This could be under THINGS TO DO also. Its a must do, really.

My fave bar is the Flying Saucer, just off Beale. A selection of about 120 different beers - you could stay there all night. Plus its got seating looking out of open air windows at Beale, so you can people watch while you imbibe.

PLACES TO STAY

The classic hotel in Memphis is the Peabody - the gateway to the Delta. Rooms are pricey by Memphis standards, and not big. But its got all the right FEEL. Another two recommended places to stay in the downtown area - Madison Hotel and the Talbot Heirs Guesthouse. Talbot is great for groups, because the rooms are big, have couches, and kitchens.

THINGS TO SEE AND DO

Graceland, of course. Pricey and a pain, but a necessary evil in Memphis. Fun tour, smaller house than you'd expect.

Beale Street. Again. Walk the whole thing, dive into some dives, check the couple museums out, listen to some blues. This is Memphis.

Civil Rights Museum. You want to know about some important stuff in how America was? Go here. Its an amazing experience. The museum IS the hotel where MLK was shot, and part of the tour shows the room and balcony IN STATE, as if it just happened. Really cool.

Mud Island... take the tram from downtown to the island. Concert venue, museums, parks, nice place to wander around.

Take the trolleys, to get around downtown. Don't bother driving in the downtown area.

Autozone Park - where the Redbirds (AAA St. Louis) play. Nice little minor league park.

ADVICE

Don't go wandering around at night too far from the downtown area. Neighborhoods get sketchy fast.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
OK. As a former Memphis resident, here is a 5 minute brain dump of cool stuff to see and do in Memphis...

PLACES TO EAT

Memphis is famous for BBQ (and The Blues), specifically pork BBQ. There are two basic varieties - dry rub and wet rub. Try both. I'm a dry rub guy, and the classic and best (in my time there) place to go for dry rub is Rendezvous. Its right in downtown, not too far from Beale Street. The entrance is off a dingy little alley, and the waits will be long. But the food is awesome. For the wet rub, try Corky's, which has a few locations in Memphis and the surrounding area.

Other non-BBQ eats... Do the Blues Brunch at the Elvis. Have a burger at Huey's. And the best overall restaurant in town is McEwen's on Monroe. All these restaurants are in the downtown area. Outside downtown, Bosco's in Midtown is good eats and a micro-brew with its own, very good beers.

PLACES TO DRINK

Beale Street. Just go anywhere, but try for the places less crowded with tourists.

Make sure to go to at least one Blues club. BB King's is the classic, but there are a number of others, on and just off of Beale. This could be under THINGS TO DO also. Its a must do, really.

My fave bar is the Flying Saucer, just off Beale. A selection of about 120 different beers - you could stay there all night. Plus its got seating looking out of open air windows at Beale, so you can people watch while you imbibe.

PLACES TO STAY

The classic hotel in Memphis is the Peabody - the gateway to the Delta. Rooms are pricey by Memphis standards, and not big. But its got all the right FEEL. Another two recommended places to stay in the downtown area - Madison Hotel and the Talbot Heirs Guesthouse. Talbot is great for groups, because the rooms are big, have couches, and kitchens.

THINGS TO SEE AND DO

Graceland, of course. Pricey and a pain, but a necessary evil in Memphis. Fun tour, smaller house than you'd expect.

Beale Street. Again. Walk the whole thing, dive into some dives, check the couple museums out, listen to some blues. This is Memphis.

Civil Rights Museum. You want to know about some important stuff in how America was? Go here. Its an amazing experience. The museum IS the hotel where MLK was shot, and part of the tour shows the room and balcony IN STATE, as if it just happened. Really cool.

Mud Island... take the tram from downtown to the island. Concert venue, museums, parks, nice place to wander around.

Take the trolleys, to get around downtown. Don't bother driving in the downtown area.

Autozone Park - where the Redbirds (AAA St. Louis) play. Nice little minor league park.

ADVICE

Don't go wandering around at night too far from the downtown area. Neighborhoods get sketchy fast.

Well, as a current Memphian, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Definitely go to a Redbirds game if you can (they are home this weekend). Very very affordable and one of the nicest minor league ballparks you'll find. The Civil Rights Museum is really cool too. And The Rendezvous is an absolute must as well if just for the experience, but you'll love the dry-rub too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Oh crap, forgot to add...

Even if you don't stay at the Peabody, make sure to stop in the lobby bar and have a drink. The feel is great. Have a mint julip or something similarly southern. And try to catch the Ducks show. Its hilarious.

Been there, done that and yes it was definitely cool. The bar and the ducks, both.

Unfortunately, one of the best strip clubs in history was closed last year. No more Platinum Plus.

I'll 3rd or 4th the vote on Rendezvous Excellent BBQ. And catching a Redbirds AAA game is something you should do DBAHO. That stadium rivals many Major League parks, albeit not in size.

Do Beale Street, hit on some Southern women and listen to some blues.

That should be plenty!

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
Thanks for the tips guys.

I think Rendezvous will be a must, and we'll definitely be hitting up Beale Street tomorrow and Saturday Nights.

Don't forget to hit on as many Southern women as you can (or it takes ha ha). They'll LOVE your accent and you'll find theirs a nice combination of sweet and sexy!

Well we had a good time down there.

My main gripe would be getting around in the city. We ended up spending around $30 each just on Taxi's (in a group of 8) just to get around the city and to the airport and back etc.

Beale Street was good fun though, people doing flips in the street, 32 ounces of beer for $4, definitely something that I hadn't experienced before.

We tried going to Rendezvous on Sunday but it was closed. Had to settle for Corky's at the airport on Sunday Night.

The Flying Saucer was a great bar as well Northsider. 120 different beers, I could have stayed there a LONG, LONG time. :lol:

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

My main gripe would be getting around in the city. We ended up spending around $30 each just on Taxi's (in a group of 8) just to get around the city and to the airport and back etc.

Beale Street was good fun though, people doing flips in the street, 32 ounces of beer for $4, definitely something that I hadn't experienced before.

We tried going to Rendezvous on Sunday but it was closed. Had to settle for Corky's at the airport on Sunday Night.

The Flying Saucer was a great bar as well Northsider. 120 different beers, I could have stayed there a LONG, LONG time. :lol:

We have a Flying Saucer in Fort Worth... sweet place. They have a lot more then 120 types of beer the last time I was there.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

Cabs? Why didn't you take the trolley??? It costs like 50 cents and gets you around most places you need to go, other than Graceland and the airport.

Glad you had fun though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
Cabs? Why didn't you take the trolley??? It costs like 50 cents and gets you around most places you need to go, other than Graceland and the airport.

Glad you had fun though.

We stayed at a hostel about 10 mins south east of the city center. So we needed Cabs to get into the city, otherwise we would have been walking for hours. We did use the Trolley a few time though.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
We stayed at a hostel about 10 mins south east of the city center. So we needed Cabs to get into the city, otherwise we would have been walking for hours. We did use the Trolley a few time though.

10 minutes southeast of downtown?

And you are still alive?

I'm impressed.