Diamondbacks get Adam Dunn

thedoctor

KTAR 620 in Arizona reports that the Diamondbacks have acquired Adam Dunn from the Reds for three prospects.

According to the radio station, the Reds will receive pitching prospect Dallas Buck and two players to be named later. A 2006 third-round pick who returned from Tommy John surgery in June, Buck has a 3.55 ERA and 28/11 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings at Single-A. MLB.com confirms that the Diamondbacks have claimed Dunn off waivers, but reports only that the two sides "are close to working out a deal" for the impending free agent. Aug. 11 - 2:45 pm et

Hmmm, interesting deal (if it's true, depending on the prospects).

Now do they try to sign him in the off-season? They've got Byrnes, Young and Upton in the OF and Conor Jackson at 1B (who's been their best hitter this season IIRC).

But Arizona has gone from having the best farm system argubly a year ago, to probably a mediocre one now. They've traded 10 prospects alone for Dan Haren, Jon Rauch and now Adam Dunn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3529966

ESPN.com now reporting it (not that always means 100%, but a good source).

Well, that team needed a bat and he's a high OBP guy also. This can't be well received in Dodger land or for the Cubs/Phillies/Mets/Brewers. This team may back into the playoffs, but if their rotation stays healthy they are tough out in a series

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
But Arizona has gone from having the best farm system argubly a year ago, to probably a mediocre one now. They've traded 10 prospects alone for Dan Haren, Jon Rauch and now Adam Dunn.

Yeah, but isn't that what usually happens when a GM tries to put his team in a winning situation? If you look at the D'backs this season and last year they have definitely upgraded from their past form. They have enough talent right now to put away their current division for some years to come.

Right now is the time to do it for them. A Webb, Haren, and Johnson rotation going into the postseason could give the disadvantage to the opposing team. Now they have a bat who can put up some hits even though he does have some negatives (K's a lot).

QUOTE (Yoda @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Yeah, but isn't that what usually happens when a GM tries to put his team in a winning situation? If you look at the D'backs this season and last year they have definitely upgraded from their past form. They have enough talent right now to put away their current division for some years to come.

Right now is the time to do it for them. A Webb, Haren, and Johnson rotation going into the postseason could give the disadvantage to the opposing team. Now they have a bat who can put up some hits even though he does have some negatives (K's a lot).

At least they aren't inning ending double play grounders to short.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
At least they aren't inning ending double play grounders to short.

Not sure how he does in that situation, but if true then I guess a GM would take the strikeout before an inning ending DP.

For a guy who is 6'6 and 275lbs you would imagine him playing 1b, but since Byrnes is out and Burke is no offensive threat, Dunn will definitely be an upgrade in the starting lineup. Good trade for the D'Backs and the Reds all in all.

The D-Backs will get 2 1st round picks if Dunn walks as a FA also.

So those PTBNL better be pretty good prospects for the Reds, otherwise I think they could have done better here.

Right now, it's a win for the D-Backs. Josh Byrnes is doing what he can to help this team win a world series.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
Hmmm, interesting deal (if it's true, depending on the prospects).

Now do they try to sign him in the off-season? They've got Byrnes, Young and Upton in the OF and Conor Jackson at 1B (who's been their best hitter this season IIRC).

Do you really need an outstanding minor league roster when the MLB team is full of young talent? They have time to re-stock before they need very many MLB players.

Excellent move for Arizona. I don't see how anyone can question it. If I'm a Cubs fan (and if I were I'd more than likely be gay), I want nothing to do with Arizona come October. Having to face Webb, Haren and RJ, who's something like 84-0 in his career against them, would scare me enough. Now their offense just got a lot more potent. And they still have a strong 'pen. Arizona has dissapointed since their hot start. But they're built for the playoffs. They get in, they're as dangerous as anyone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
Excellent move for Arizona. I don't see how anyone can question it. If I'm a Cubs fan (and if I were I'd more than likely be gay), I want nothing to do with Arizona come October. Having to face Webb, Haren and RJ, who's something like 84-0 in his career against them, would scare me enough. Now their offense just got a lot more potent. And they still have a strong 'pen. Arizona has dissapointed since their hot start. But they're built for the playoffs. They get in, they're as dangerous as anyone.

I look at it this way: The Cubs could return the favor for what happened last season against the D'Backs in playoff time ( :sweep: ) or the D'Backs can repeat what happened, which would be more appealing :)

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
Micah Owings to Cincy as a PTBNL

That makes the deal a little more interesting now.

I actually wonder if Cinci has soured enough on Homer Bailey now that the Sox could come in for an offer for him?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
That makes the deal a little more interesting now.

I actually wonder if Cinci has soured enough on Homer Bailey now that the Sox could come in for an offer for him?

Last week I was wondering if we might have been able to interest them in a Contreras/Bailey swap to add a veteran with playoff experience to their starting rotation. But now...argh.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
Last week I was wondering if we might have been able to interest them in a Contreras/Bailey swap to add a veteran with playoff experience to their starting rotation. But now...argh.

I wonder if they'd be interested in Brian Anderson actually? Their OF is pretty wide open right now.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:30 AM)
Not as a main piece for Bailey, no.

There is no way you can say that for sure. Bailey is the pitching version of Brian Anderson. Lots of talent, completely sucked once given an opportunity. Bailey is 22 and Anderson is 26.

If Bailey continues struggling, there's no reason they couldn't make a deal like AZ did with Quentin. Anderson or Fields/Broadway for Bailey. Why the hell not?